The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #251
El Campo

Re: Rustbuket 67 build "Georgia"

Looks like they did a great job on it! Happy for you man. Now go and get some primer on it ASAP
72 Chevy SWB: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486626 (Attempt/Mistake #2)
2003 Harley Davidson Dyna Superglide with 2007 Street Bob front end
2000 Ford F350 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB, 310,000 miles running great (STOLEN St. Patricks Day 2014 AND NEVER RECOVERED)
2002 Ford F250 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB (To replace stolen one)
Hook em Horns!!!
El Campo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #252
TchncnDen

That's a great way to start!
TchncnDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:47 PM   #253
mcbassin
Still Learning

Congrats on the new truck and frame! Nice
Posted via Mobile Device
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #254
chevynova22602

Nice project man I like how u took the top off it I would be scared as crap to do mine lol but I think it will be a real nice ride when u finish keep up the good work man
Posted via Mobile Device
chevynova22602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:13 PM   #255
67cheby
67cheby

Looks clean !
Posted via Mobile Device
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #256
suspect

it's crazy how clean that blasting gets it.

Romans 10:13 Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.
suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #257
VA72C10
VA72C10

frame looks great! might as well's got you....
Old 08-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #258
DD1

Frame looks nice! I love the way you have the fenders hanging on the wall.

I don't think I will get trapped by the "Might as Well do..." thing. I would be scared to remove everything from the frame.

Awesome job you are doing.
DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:09 PM   #259
El Campo

You have any pictures for us yet of primer and paint??
72 Chevy SWB: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486626 (Attempt/Mistake #2)
2000 Ford F350 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB, 310,000 miles running great (STOLEN St. Patricks Day 2014 AND NEVER RECOVERED)
Hook em Horns!!!
Old 08-05-2012, 12:06 AM   #260
67c10rustbuket

Not yet buddy, Bought some PPG Omni (cheapo) Epoxy primer. Cost me $125 for a gallon with a bottle of catalyst and an inline filter for my spray gun. Going to use it on the body also. Doing some research about compatibility etc.. Apparently with Omni line you have only 3 days (at 70 degrees) to topcoat it. I was thinking top coat with farm and implement paint from tractor supply or maybe Eastwood chassis black. Something that I can touch up easily. Any suggestions?? Do I need to use a sealer after prime and before "paint"? Duh I don't know.

The frame has not been touched by my sweaty hands only rubber gloves and was only handled by forklift at the blasting yard. I am wiping it down with prep all wax and grease remover so it does not flash rust.

I also have to do a few modifications and repairs to the frame before priming and painting.

I am NOT a painter but I do have a gun (porter cable PSH1 1.5 and 2.0 fluid tips), the only paint I have done is the slicksand applied to the pass bedside. In doing that I had a friend who paints walk me through it. So if anyone has advise or criticism let me have it!
Attached Images

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:47 AM   #261
suspect

i use a sealer when i paint body panels, but i wouldn't on a frame. i for sure wouldn't need to use sealer if using implement paint. that paint is some tough stuff. i probably wouldn't spray once it hits 105*. i'm not positive if that's hot enough, but i do know if you paint in a spray booth while you have the heat on to high, your spray will start to dry before it hits the panel causing little bumps.

Romans 10:13 Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.
suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:26 AM   #262
jhaymon

the eastwood chassis black is some good stuff. i used on my last 2 cars. they have bare metal prep for blasted metal i used as well.i put it on with an ordinary spray bottle and wiped it off with a towel just like eastwood said to. it took more time than just spraying on some por 15 etching primmer, but it came really good. im doing an experiment with it right now to see how durable it really is. ive had a blasted piece of sitting outside for 2 weeks that i put it on and it still has no signs of rust.
but anyways, you really need to get something on it pretty fast because blasted metal will rust faster than anything ive ever seen. i little drop of sweat will start pitting in just a few days. i normally use por 15 but ive been looking for cheaper alternative that looks more like factory.
if you use por 15 it sprays through a 2.3mm gun just fine. the eastwood chassis black did just fine trough a 1.8mm gun just like most primmers. it didnt do that great in a 1.0mm touchup gun though.

the slick sand will spray though a 2.3mm as well. you dont need a high dollar gun either.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #263
mcbassin
Still Learning

I've been using that omni on my body panels, I really like the results I have been getting with it.
Posted via Mobile Device
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #264
El Campo

Too bad you aren't closer or I would give you some of the ProSpray jet black that I used as I had a bunch left over.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hook em Horns!!!
Old 08-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #265
DD1

From what I have read, you might want to get a cheap disposable paint gun for POR-15; I would not use it in a gun you want to keep.
DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #266
chevelle
instagram "footbraker67"

Its pretty cool To know there's someone else on this board from mustang OK with a passion for these old trucks, can't wait to see this one cruising the streets. Good lucknon the build man, it's looking good
Posted via Mobile Device
1968 lwb parts truck
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:36 AM   #267
jhaymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD1 View Post
From what I have read, you might want to get a cheap disposable paint gun for POR-15; I would not use it in a gun you want to keep.
defiantly.i don't think ild load up my sharps or devilbis guns with it, but i would never call a gun disposable. i use a $40 2.3mm automart gun heavy primers. it's actually a pretty nice gun for the money. i've used it several times for slick sand and bed liners as well as por 15 and it's never given me any trouble unlike the $700 sata that, according to all the reviews, was supposed to gods gift to spray guns. they really are great..... if you have a $14,000 rotary screw compressor and a refrigerated dry air system. that pos cant lay color without runs no matter what i do and unlike my other guns, you just barely bump the air adjustment and it pulses like nothing ive even seen. i just mailed it back for the 3rd time today for a refund..ok sorry bout the sata rant it just came out.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #268
Seventy Two

Nice work Dan. I look forward to your progress.
Seventy Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #269
bjcaldwe

Nice progress man.
bjcaldwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #270
67c10rustbuket

Hey where did all you people come from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Campo View Post
Looks like they did a great job on it! Happy for you man. Now go and get some primer on it ASAP
Thanks, It has some on it now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJs69CST View Post
Frame is looking great!!
Thanks MJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TchncnDen View Post
That's a great way to start!
Why thank you sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Congrats on the new truck and frame! Nice
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks Mike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevynova22602 View Post
Nice project man I like how u took the top off it I would be scared as crap to do mine lol but I think it will be a real nice ride when u finish keep up the good work man
Posted via Mobile Device
It was a little scary but that was just the donor, Removing the roof from the keeper may be a little scarrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
Looks clean !
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks Mike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspect View Post
it's crazy how clean that blasting gets it.
Yes it is, Thanks to some dude named Daniel I got a sweet deal too Thanks Bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
frame looks great! might as well's got you....
Yep, got that right!

Quote:
Frame looks nice! I love the way you have the fenders hanging on the wall.

I don't think I will get trapped by the "Might as Well do..." thing. I would be scared to remove everything from the frame.
Awesome job you are doing.
Yeah it is my first frame off it is a little intimidating but you just have to go for it. Thats my fender storage area I am running out of room. Soon it will be all going all back together.

Quote:
You have any pictures for us yet of primer and paint??
Yes finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspect View Post
i use a sealer when i paint body panels, but i wouldn't on a frame. i for sure wouldn't need to use sealer if using implement paint. that paint is some tough stuff. i probably wouldn't spray once it hits 105*. i'm not positive if that's hot enough, but i do know if you paint in a spray booth while you have the heat on to high, your spray will start to dry before it hits the panel causing little bumps.
Thanks again for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaymon View Post
the eastwood chassis black is some good stuff. i used on my last 2 cars. they have bare metal prep for blasted metal i used as well.i put it on with an ordinary spray bottle and wiped it off with a towel just like eastwood said to. it took more time than just spraying on some por 15 etching primmer, but it came really good. im doing an experiment with it right now to see how durable it really is. ive had a blasted piece of sitting outside for 2 weeks that i put it on and it still has no signs of rust.
but anyways, you really need to get something on it pretty fast because blasted metal will rust faster than anything ive ever seen. i little drop of sweat will start pitting in just a few days. i normally use por 15 but ive been looking for cheaper alternative that looks more like factory.
if you use por 15 it sprays through a 2.3mm gun just fine. the eastwood chassis black did just fine trough a 1.8mm gun just like most primmers. it didnt do that great in a 1.0mm touchup gun though.

the slick sand will spray though a 2.3mm as well. you dont need a high dollar gun either.
Thats some good info, thanks! I have use POR15 and I still do on areas that are hidden but I do not like it on a frame after watching it disintegrate in sunlight. I have considered doing my own experiments as you are doing to see how well those products really do after time being exposed to the elements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
I've been using that omni on my body panels, I really like the results I have been getting with it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah buddy I have heard a lot of good things about the omni epoxy primer

Quote:
Too bad you aren't closer or I would give you some of the ProSpray jet black that I used as I had a bunch left over.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the offer!

Quote:
Yeah I wouldn't bee too keen on spraying that stuff and it lays out so nice with a brush anyway I wouldn't risk it if I liked my spray gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Its pretty cool To know there's someone else on this board from mustang OK with a passion for these old trucks, can't wait to see this one cruising the streets. Good lucknon the build man, it's looking good
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks! I think I have been stalking you in that white 67 around town. I actually put your pic on the "road spotting" thread in the Oklahoma section. Now I know who you are Suspect is also local, He is in the Mustang district but has an okc address. Check out his build, real nice stuff and only a couple miles away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaymon View Post
defiantly.i don't think ild load up my sharps or devilbis guns with it, but i would never call a gun disposable. i use a $40 2.3mm automart gun heavy primers. it's actually a pretty nice gun for the money. i've used it several times for slick sand and bed liners as well as por 15 and it's never given me any trouble unlike the $700 sata that, according to all the reviews, was supposed to gods gift to spray guns. they really are great..... if you have a $14,000 rotary screw compressor and a refrigerated dry air system. that pos cant lay color without runs no matter what i do and unlike my other guns, you just barely bump the air adjustment and it pulses like nothing ive even seen. i just mailed it back for the 3rd time today for a refund..ok sorry bout the sata rant it just came out.
I have a friend who paints tell me similar stories about top dollar guns, I guess you find one that works the way you want and never get rid of it, I am just a diy guy not much for painting myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventy Two View Post
Nice work Dan. I look forward to your progress.
Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcaldwe View Post
Nice progress man.
Thanks Billy! yours is looking great too. especially those new wheels.

OKAY - So I am using TSC farm and implement paint, with their primer as well. pics coming up.

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
Old 08-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #271
67c10rustbuket

Pics of TSC farm and implement primer on the frame...and cutting out the crossmember for the exhaust. 4.5" hole saw bit( actually bought a new one the red one was dulllll). I will be welding in sections of 4.5" pipe for reinforcement.
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2012, 10:21 PM   #272
67c10rustbuket

More..
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #273
67c10rustbuket

Then we have a little frame issue, I plan on cutting out the bad section and welding in this piece that I made at work. There are two large dimples and the horizontal flange is bent down quite a bit. There are similar dimples is the top of the frame as well but nowhere near as bad as these. My neighbor thinks this was caused by an old frame repair machine and it makes sense but I really have no idea what could have caused this. The damage looks a lot worse in person. What do you guys and girls think about my repair idea??
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #274
67c10rustbuket

And I got a new Hobart auto darkening welding helmet and a new bed floor from my buddy suspect
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2012, 11:20 PM   #275
fakerwade

Looking good my friend,, looking good!!
Build thread "TANGERINE" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=498570

Board Members Met: bigblock68, ol_skool_chevy ,68TT,atvpro
fakerwade is offline   Reply With Quote