The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-09-2018, 11:22 PM   #1
obie16

LS swap parts

I have a 1950 Chevy that I’m swapping a LQ4 into, it has a mustang II front end with a rack and pinion as well. Putting together a list of parts to get ready and order!
1. What are people using for steering boxes?
2 is Ididit/flamingriver worth the money over other brands?
3. What headers are people using, or are you custom making them?
Is there a post here that has a list of parts that have helped people with there Ls swaps?
I know these questions have been asked a bunch of times, and sorry for asking them again just got tired of searching multiple pages to try and find answers.
Thanks again guys! You guys have helped on countless occasions!

Last edited by obie16; 08-10-2018 at 06:54 PM.
obie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:38 AM   #2
NeoJuice

Re: LS swap parts

I'll chime in on the #2 question.

I was going to go with an off brand steering column but decided to go with Ididit because of safety reasons. Once I got it and seen the quality and weight of it I'm glad I did. The price was not much different either. See link below is what I ordered.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Ididi...Query=4461230D

Here is a link to some pictures and discussion I started a while back.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=756709

hope that helps.
NeoJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:02 PM   #3
mr48chev

Have to agree with Neojuice there. The steering column is one thing you do not want to cut corners on and go cheap. If you can't swing a Flaming River or Ididit column the best thing is going with an oem column out of a donor rig. The only guys who don't seem to have trouble with the cheap ones are guy who just don't put miles on their trucks.

I'm not sure on the steering box if you are retaining the I beam. I've been wanting to figure out a simple cross steer setup for years but it never comes up to the top of the things that need to get done list.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:00 AM   #4
Advanced Design

Obie, I agree with the others, use an OEM, or a good quality like ididit or Flaming River. Please review this article. https://www.americarna.com/news/news...-safety-alert/

There are a number of solutions for exhaust. I went with Holley swap manifolds then used the Holley swap 73-87 C10 down pipe. Based on my engine positioning, this worked well for fabricating the exhaust.

Initially I fabricated my own engine mounts, then switched to Dirty Dingo LS slider mounts. While it works well on the right side, due to moving the engine back some caused interference with the intermediate shaft on the left side. Solution was to fabricate the left side frame mount allowing clearance for the intermediate shaft.

After a a lot of consideration, pretty sure I will use the Holley mid mount accessory drive. https://www.holley.com/products/acce...s/parts/20-185

While a bit pricey, it provides a quality one stop solution that avoids the need to clearance the inner fender panels. Check this article....https://www.hotrod.com/articles/inst...7-chevy-truck/

Hope that helps. Have fun.
Attached Images

Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:32 PM   #5
gigamanx

Take it from someone who bought the $180 steering column. I will probably have an ididit or flamingriver by next spring. I've spent about $50 in parts to repair the column after the internals broke. From the factory, it had an internal wiring short I had to fix. Currently, when driving down the road, the inside of the column has some play in it that is very noticeable. The outer column is secure, so its definitely a loose bearing or some part of the internals is just not that high a quality.

So yes, just buy the $400-$500 column.

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:52 PM   #6
jweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by obie16 View Post
I have a 1950 Chevy that I’m swapping a LQ4 into, it has a mustang II front end with a rack and pinion as well. Putting together a list of parts to get ready and order!
1. What are people using for steering boxes?
2 is Ididit/flamingriver worth the money over other brands?
3. What headers are people using, or are you custom making them?
Is there a post here that has a list of parts that have helped people with there Ls swaps?
I know these questions have been asked a bunch of times, and sorry for asking them again just got tired of searching multiple pages to try and find answers.
Thanks again guys! You guys have helped on countless occasions!
1: If you are using the stock LS pump and a Mustang II power rack you will need to reduce the pressure. Most people use this https://www.jegs.com/i/Borgeson/153/899001/10002/-1

2: Definitely spend the money for Ididit or Flaming River. I've had my Ididit column in for 12 years without any problems.

3: Most use the hooker cast manifolds or a rear dump header to clear the steering, like these https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-S...LH_TitleDesc=0.
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:44 PM   #7
Patrat

Just in case the earlier replies did not convince you, I used one of the import columns on my 59 and it was a piece of junk. I seriously considered changing but sold the truck. Told the buyer he should change it.

I am now working on a friends' 61 and I put an Ididit in it. Absolute night and day difference in quality. I will never again waste money on a cheap column.

Also on my 59 I tried several different header setups and best way was the Hooker cast irons.
Patrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:56 PM   #8
_Ogre

a lot depends on what your budget and use for the truck will be
ididit and flaming river are sturdy, well rated and pricey
any oem column from a junkyard will be inexpensive and made with thousands of oem engineering hours

i have an 86 gmc astro van column in truk, similar to any s10 column
it cost me $35 and came with steering wheel, tilt, turn signals, hazards, horn and is compatible with any aftermarket harness

ironic that the day before you posted this i drove thru kalispell, 2000 miles on US hwy 2 from seattle to the mackinaw bridge
we live in kalispell around 1979, near 6th ave s & 9 st w, major built up since, but still a beautiful area

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:04 PM   #9
obie16

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
a lot depends on what your budget and use for the truck will be
ididit and flaming river are sturdy, well rated and pricey
any oem column from a junkyard will be inexpensive and made with thousands of oem engineering hours

i have an 86 gmc astro van column in truk, similar to any s10 column
it cost me $35 and came with steering wheel, tilt, turn signals, hazards, horn and is compatible with any aftermarket harness

ironic that the day before you posted this i drove thru kalispell, 2000 miles on US hwy 2 from seattle to the mackinaw bridge
we live in kalispell around 1979, near 6th ave s & 9 st w, major built up since, but still a beautiful area

Thanks everyone for the info, this site has saved my butt many times haha!!!

The wife and I just moved to kalispell from the havre area about 4-5 yrs ago we love it here! Hunting been a bit of a challenge with all the tress and mountains I’m a flat lander I’m used to seeing the animal far away first.
obie16 is offline   Reply With Quote