The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
monte0185

Project "Haulin Crap" 1986 CC dually.

Well i guess the time has come to start a build thread to document my work on my 1986 CC dually I bought a few weeks ago. For the past couple years ive been hauling all my stuff on a one of a couple trailers of mine since i stupidly sold my last truck. LOL I miss that truck so I set out on a quest to find a little bit bigger replacement. (Last one was a 1986 SWB 1/2 ton.) So after momma decided we need a camper for our camping trip and i needed to be able to haul my car trailer with whatever it is i might want to haul I set out to find a dually. For a few months I perused several I liked and finally ran across this one (1986 Crew Cab with 454 TH400 and Gear venders over drive) Which had almost the look I was going for and was in my price range after a bit of negotiating. So after a phone call or two to some friends of mine and a little begging i got one of my buddies to take a 3 hour road trip with his new fancy aluminum trailer to go pick it up. Now after talking extensively for a couple weeks I was pretty sure It would run and drive home just fine but it had been sitting a couple years So the trailer was more of a precaution in case something went drastically wrong. So we got there to check it out and everything looked and ran ok enough to get to the parts store a few miles away where we swapped out a battery terminal and did a little eyeball toe adjustment cause it was horrible and filled it up and away we went. Made it home ok with just a couple minor things that needed some injenuity and only one tank of gas. SO not a bad purchase in my book. So after that long winded story a couple pics are necessary.
Attached Images

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
monte0185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
Low Elco

Re: Project "Haulin Crap" 1986 CC dually.

Love it! Don't change a thing! Good score on the GV.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
monte0185

So on the way home I started making a list of things to change. Some things that needed fixing and some that just needed to be changed in general. The interior was the biggest since both bench seats were trashed and the previous/previous owner thought he was the man of steel since the door panels were covered in superman emblems as well as the ceiling. Since this is a minor issue and dosent really affect drivability that one goes on the back burner. Most notably was the steering slack and the left front caliper not moving that were on the top of my list of things to address first. So after I got it home and got it registered I got my oldest son 14yr old to help me with a bit of trouble shooting on the steering and brakes. After that was a trip to the parts store for a new drivers side caliper and hose and pitman arm. Two small issues resolved now onto the stance issue. If you notice the front was dropped considerably which i like but the back was not dropped as much. Now the tires on it are not great and really not the right size since they are only 27" tall and its supposed to have 31" tall so after some investigation I found a few leaves had been removed from the rear and the overloads and an helper bag setup was installed. So I ordered a belltech shackle drop kit and installed the front two shackles since i didnt really want to cut the bed supports for the rear. The whole idea behind this truck is to use it and everything ive read and been told is if you do a flip the rear end housing will touch the bed and you have to do a c notch. Well im going to have a 5th wheel or gooseneck installed for the camper my wife wants so thats not really an option for me. So when i get the tires replaced if it still needs more drop ill put the rear shacles on for another 2 inches. well back to the pics. Oh and notice the home made filler tube for both tanks. It had to go. Think im going to take it to an aluminum welder buddy of mine with some aluminum tube and have one made for it. It worked ok but for now a rusty tube and very slow fill is irritating.
Attached Images

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
monte0185

So this last weekend did a little electrical work under the dash and removed a few wires and the seats. Its nice to be able to strech out to work under the dash. lol. Picked up some 2000 chevy truck seats but they are to tall to install without cutting the floor or redoing the brackets so think i may just redo the bench seats in black with maybe some red and black houndstooth inserts. Anyway here are a few more pics.
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
monte0185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Thanks!! Its gonna pretty much look the same with the exception of lowering the rear slightly and mirrors. I cant stand the fact all the mirrors are shaved. Since both doors have been cut to pieces for speakers and the drivers had a huge dint in it till i popped it out, I got a couple good door shells Ill be getting painted and installed after the first of the year.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Too late for that
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #7
monte0185

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Too late for that
Yeah true that but im not changing the main looks of it. Gonna stick with the same rims just bigger tires and add some mirrors and I also ordered a set of smoked LED cab lights. Which begs the question of how does one seal the cab lights. Just let the rubber gaskets seal it up or go with a touch of silicone rtv just for good measure?

Old 12-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #8
Low Elco

DON'T use silicone. It draws water. You will get Big Rust. Go to the nearest body shop supply and ask for seam sealer, or some other pro-level sealer. Please.

In other news, That truck is screamin' for a big system. A bit more drop on the rear was the way to go. Someone in the early nineties really loved red tweed, huh?
Old 12-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #9
monte0185

Quote:
DON'T use silicone. It draws water. You will get Big Rust. Go to the nearest body shop supply and ask for seam sealer, or some other pro-level sealer. Please.

In other news, That truck is screamin' for a big system. A bit more drop on the rear was the way to go. Someone in the early nineties really loved red tweed, huh?
Yeah itll get a few speakers but nothing to fancy. I had the big systems back in the day and now as long as it makes a little more noice then the truck im good. Unless the truck has a big cam or supercharger then i prefer to listen to it instead. LOL. As far as the tweed yes they did. and now its all dried out and falling apart at the touch of it. Hoping i can get all of it removed along with the glue then just dye it or else its going to the upholstery shop along with the seats. The dash pad and headliner are going anyway. Thanks for the tip on the seam sealer. I didnt think of that.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #10
Low Elco

If you're rippin' all of that out, now's a good time for deadener. Here ya go-

http://www.homedepot.com/p/W-R-Grace...3002/202088840
Old 12-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
monte0185

Quote:
If you're rippin' all of that out, now's a good time for deadener. Here ya go-

http://www.homedepot.com/p/W-R-Grace...3002/202088840
Sweet!! Thanks!!

Old 12-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #12
Low Elco

You got it- I did a bunch of research ('cuz I'm a cheap SOB) and that stuff is similar to the vaunted Peel N Seal and even cheaper. All reviews say it works the bom-bee, especially for the price. Word on the street is it can be had even cheaper through wholesale roofing outlets. Plus the amount is good for us crew cab type dudes.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #13
monte0185

Quote:
You got it- I did a bunch of research ('cuz I'm a cheap SOB) and that stuff is similar to the vaunted Peel N Seal and even cheaper. All reviews say it works the bom-bee, especially for the price. Word on the street is it can be had even cheaper through wholesale roofing outlets. Plus the amount is good for us crew cab type dudes.
Yeah Im cheap too. Like your little black truck. Wish I hadnt sold mine but the guy who got it offered me a supercharged camaro and a stack of bills and i just couldnt turn it down.
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #14
Low Elco

Thanks! I'm not a Black Cherry guy-but that's a VERY pretty truck! Nice work! I need to get off my dead butt and get to work. The Kid's been hounding me about it. Thanks for looking!
Old 12-23-2013, 07:40 PM   #15
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Cool truck! Did you buy it and start to sell it? I could have sworn I've seen the first two pictures on CL, but maybe I'm just misremembering the original ad. Either way, nice score!

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #16
monte0185

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUISER View Post
Cool truck! Did you buy it and start to sell it? I could have sworn I've seen the first two pictures on CL, but maybe I'm just misremembering the original ad. Either way, nice score!
Nope those pics have not been on CL that I know of. I don't think my wifes been mad at me either so the only place I can think of is they have been on here in a couple question topics but that's it.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:23 PM   #17
75Dually

I really like the start of your build. If you get a chance you should go over and look at www.duallyscene.com there is a ton of guys building trucks just like yours. You will get a ton of help and a bunch ideas for your build.

In fact here is my build page on duallyscene, check it out: http://www.duallyscene.com/forums/pr...lin-t7688.html
75Dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #18
monte0185

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Dually View Post
I really like the start of your build. If you get a chance you should go over and look at www.duallyscene.com there is a ton of guys building trucks just like yours. You will get a ton of help and a bunch ideas for your build.

In fact here is my build page on duallyscene, check it out: http://www.duallyscene.com/forums/pr...lin-t7688.html
Thanks!! Im a member of duallyscene as well. Joined when i got the dually. I wish i could build one that was low and bagged but unfortunatley i have to use mine so this is about as low as i can go. I need to take another pic since the beds back on and the rear is lowered 2 more inches. I was also considdering since i read your entire build thread of taking out a couple more leaves and going with the bigger bags for towing. Might give me another inch or so but still have the same towing capacity. Anyway off to dinner. Thanks!!

Old 03-13-2014, 08:47 AM   #19
monte0185

Well been a crazy winter here and since my dually will not fit in my garage I havent done a whole lot but collect parts. I got a set of nice gray suburban buckets and console and all the trim pieces that will work in the dually including seatbelts. Im going to have to order new carpet. Got a perfect untouched instrument cluster and LED bulbs for it. Got a Summit CDI box and all new ignition components and a carb rebuild kit and a set of smoked roof lights. So when this weather here decides to act right Ill get started. LOL So far the only thing I have done is Mount my summit CDI box. Going to have to wait till this weekend to wire it up.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:04 AM   #20
Chevy3+3

When you bought it you said you made it home on one tank of fuel? You also mentioned it has a gear vendor overdrive unit in it?

Did you track what MPG you got when driving it home? I also wondered what gear ratio you have and what RPM's your turning at 60mph
Chevy3+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:25 AM   #21
monte0185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy3+3 View Post
When you bought it you said you made it home on one tank of fuel? You also mentioned it has a gear vendor overdrive unit in it?

Did you track what MPG you got when driving it home? I also wondered what gear ratio you have and what RPM's your turning at 60mph
No i sure didnt. THe speedometer is about 10mph fast due to the wrong size tires on the rear. I looked up the gear ratio one time and i think it was 456 but i could be wrong. Been awhile since i looked at it. I know its rated to 10k lbs. I dont have a tach yet so i did not track the rpm's yet either. I do know it makes a whole lot of difference in rpm when the OD kicks in. I will check all these things after i get my new tires and get the carb rebuilt and other minor things straightened out. Oh and get a tach.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:40 AM   #22
Chevy3+3

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte0185 View Post
No i sure didnt. THe speedometer is about 10mph fast due to the wrong size tires on the rear. I looked up the gear ratio one time and i think it was 456 but i could be wrong. Been awhile since i looked at it. I know its rated to 10k lbs. I dont have a tach yet so i did not track the rpm's yet either. I do know it makes a whole lot of difference in rpm when the OD kicks in. I will check all these things after i get my new tires and get the carb rebuilt and other minor things straightened out. Oh and get a tach.
Okay no biggie. I was just curious. I have the 454/Th400 setup in my truck with 4:10 axle ratio. My rpm's are about 2500-2600 when going about 55-57mph with 235/85/16 tires. I just wondered how much the OD unit lowered RPMs since the truck was similar to mine.
Chevy3+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:06 AM   #23
monte0185

Quote:
Okay no biggie. I was just curious. I have the 454/Th400 setup in my truck with 4:10 axle ratio. My rpm's are about 2500-2600 when going about 55-57mph with 235/85/16 tires. I just wondered how much the OD unit lowered RPMs since the truck was similar to mine.
Best Guess would be about 1800-1900. I know mine drops considerably. Im going to drop in a 4l80E and back it with the GV OD unit over the summer if i dont have to spend a whole lot on paint replacing doors and such. That way I have Over/over/drive. LOL

Old 03-13-2014, 03:01 PM   #24
SCOTI

Quote:
2500 x 22% = 550 or est 1,950rpm
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 03-13-2014, 03:07 PM   #25
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte0185 View Post
Best Guess would be about 1800-1900. I know mine drops considerably. Im going to drop in a 4l80E and back it with the GV OD unit over the summer if i dont have to spend a whole lot on paint replacing doors and such. That way I have Over/over/drive. LOL
Lower rpm doesn't necessarily yield better efficiency. The 4l80e would have a .75OD (25% drop) then the GV would be .78 (22% additional drop). So if you were @ 2600rpm @ 65, that combo would yield around 1500rpm @ the same speed. I'm guessing most BBC's want 2K or better to breathe.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG