The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2017, 03:17 PM   #1
8man

Parts is parts

Or maybe not.

I am looking for some parts for my truck. I have a long bed S10 frame, but it is stripped! I have not found a long bed truck for parts, but have found the following:

I found a 95 Blazer with the 4.3, no tranny, for $400 (not running and no title). It is not a 4wd which would give me a wider rear axle, as I understand it.

I also found a 85 S10 Blazer that is 4wd for $1,100. Will the rear axle from this vehicle work on my stripped frame and give me the 59" wide rear end vs the 54" rear end from the S10? If so, this may be a viable option since it has a 4.3 with throttle body and an auto in it and it runs.

Is there any reason one would be better than the other for other parts like the gas tank and mounting brackets or the brake assembly?

Or should I just stick to looking for a long bed that has the drive shaft with the carrier bearings too?

I'm sure there are things I didn't consider, but I really am trying to learn this stuff.
8man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:20 PM   #2
joedoh

Re: Parts is parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8man View Post
Or maybe not.

I am looking for some parts for my truck. I have a long bed S10 frame, but it is stripped! I have not found a long bed truck for parts, but have found the following:

I found a 95 Blazer with the 4.3, no tranny, for $400 (not running and no title). It is not a 4wd which would give me a wider rear axle, as I understand it.

I also found a 85 S10 Blazer that is 4wd for $1,100. Will the rear axle from this vehicle work on my stripped frame and give me the 59" wide rear end vs the 54" rear end from the S10? If so, this may be a viable option since it has a 4.3 with throttle body and an auto in it and it runs.

Is there any reason one would be better than the other for other parts like the gas tank and mounting brackets or the brake assembly?

Or should I just stick to looking for a long bed that has the drive shaft with the carrier bearings too?

I'm sure there are things I didn't consider, but I really am trying to learn this stuff.

blazers dont use the same gas tanks as trucks, the 4 door blazer tank goes over the rear end and the 2 door goes behind the rear end. brake lines are different too, even brake fittings are different so you would need all of the fittings.

I dont think the first gen 4x4 had a wider rear end but maybe it did. I also dont think there was a 4.3 in 1985, I think 88 was the first year of 4.3. the 2.8 was the only 6 in 85

when you move the motor back you will need a 53"-54" driveshaft, the long bed is 64" so you would need to shorten it, or you can just find a chevy colorado reg cab driveshaft (54") or a S10 reg cab short bed driveshaft (53"). if you need less, the trailblazer is 51 3/8".

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:36 PM   #3
8man

Thanks Joe, that was a big help! I'll scrap that idea and keep looking.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:33 PM   #4
mr48chev

4x4 front suspension isn't going to work on the two wheel drive frame as far as front suspension goes.

That is if I am reading it correct and all you have is a bare frame with no suspension pieces.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 11-16-2017 at 08:41 PM.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:29 AM   #5
8man

Mr48, thanks, but I may have misled you.

It is a roller with the rear axle attached and the front suspension on the frame including the sway bar, even the power steering unit.

It does not have the brackets/hangers for the gas tank, a gas tank, drive shaft bearings, or anything else I might need from a S10.

I got it because it came with a 54 cab, front inner and outer fenders, bed sides and rear fenders. The cab and rear fenders need rust work, but the bed sides and front fenders were good.