The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2010, 09:10 AM   #1
irishman999

Anyone else done with Oriley Auto parts?

1)I bought a carburetor rebuild kit from these clowns, the gaskets looked cheap, did not seem to have alot of parts. The thicker rubber gasket that goes on top of the plastic power valve was to thick and bent the top of my carburetor causing a huge vacuum leak.
I found a GP Sorsen kit from Autozone that contained better gaskets, more parts, way better quality and most important everything fit. I even paid less.

2) Spark plug wire set i bought from Orileys came with 1 wire that is so short it barely even goes on, It rides right on the exhaust manifold. I Tried the wire on the closest cylinders just to be sure im not crazy, the one wire will not fit any cylinder.

3)I was in Orileys "performance section" for a pair of spark plug wire holders, found some cool looking Moroso clips with the package ripped open and taped back together, cost 15.99. I got to the truck and found it was missing half the kit rendering it completely useless. I tried to return the kit and explained what was wrong and the kid behind the counter accused me of lieing after they sold me an opened kit missing pieces. After that occurrence i took every part i could think of buying recently back to Orileys for a refund and replaced everything with parts from Autozone.

F*&$ Oriley auto parts!
irishman999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:26 AM   #2
csbatey

Re: Anyone else done with Oriley Auto parts?

You should have not bought if it had been open! I buy all my auto parts at oreilly and never had a problem,Maybe its the one you are dealing with.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

O'Reillys quality has went down hill the last few years. I've had countless issues with them recently, anything from house brand parts being boxed in a MOOG package to sending me rights when I ordered lefts. My local O'Reilly is basically two doors down from my shop. I can not fault them on getting stuff to me fast, but their quality sucks lately. The front end rebuild on my truck was a nightmare basically due to them. If they were here once, they were here 50 times in a two day time frame.
We're seriously considering using Advanced Auto instead, especially after talking to several mechanic shops in town about O'Reillys.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
O'Reillys quality has went down hill the last few years. I've had countless issues with them recently, anything from house brand parts being boxed in a MOOG package to sending me rights when I ordered lefts. My local O'Reilly is basically two doors down from my shop. I can not fault them on getting stuff to me fast, but their quality sucks lately. The front end rebuild on my truck was a nightmare basically due to them. If they were here once, they were here 50 times in a two day time frame.
We're seriously considering using Advanced Auto instead, especially after talking to several mechanic shops in town about O'Reillys.
Ever since CSK merged with them it seems they have been replacing the better quality brands CSK used to carry with no-name junk brands and the prices went up. You can't even get a Stant radiator cap or gas cap there any more.

I have switched to Auto Zone because of it. Better prices and better quality brands.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars

Last edited by 68 TT; 07-05-2010 at 10:13 AM.
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:14 AM   #5
bitchin85

the orielly by me is awesome.. its the only place around me where the people know their a$$ from a hole in the ground.. the people working at autozone and advance around me are completelly reliant on their computers.. one guy tried telling me that the thermostat housing on a long bed was diferent fron one on a short bed.. "but look right here! different part numbers!".. when he actually looked at them they were the exact same thing..

as far as price and always having my parts and being fast, i love orielly
Old 07-05-2010, 10:19 AM   #6
tucsonjwt

I shop online and go to the local Checker/O'reilly if they are cheaper. I like the buy online and pick up in store option. Sometimes you can pick up a discount coupon online for them elsewhere and use it at checkout. They are the only place that had the door strap covers (Dorman) available, and they were the cheapest. I got some cases of oil last year at about $1 a quart.
The quality of all parts, especially aftermarket, has gone down rapidly in the last few years. I attribute most of this to Asian (Chinese) low quality imports. Even OEM GM parts are often imported. I got a Raybestos lower control arm assembly earlier this year from Rock Auto and the slot required for the brake line clip was missing - had to be hacked in manually. No store is consistently perfect.
I have learned the hard way that electrical parts should always be OEM. Spark plug wires should always be Belden only. Everybody has their own experience, but for buying commodity parts, like oil, filters, spark plugs, etc., I shop the cheapest place. Everybody needs to learn to be a savvy consumer and the bad apples will eventually go away.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:21 AM   #7
joe231

I have been anti-oriellys for some time now. The ones around here are kids that seem to be backyard hacks. They don't have a clue what the store has. If they can't find it in the computer then they don't carry it, even though I bought the part in the past from them.
Lots of people knock auto-zone, but I've used them for years, and at least around here, they have more knowledgeable employees.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:40 AM   #8
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

I goto in order of competence:

Advance auto parts <- i always go there first if possible.
oreillys
auto zone <- but i dont go there ever. and napas too expensive.
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:06 PM   #9
GMC91
Always trouble

I got to my local autozone. There is only 2 employees Ill deal with there, one that knows just about everything about a chevy. And the other cause he will loan me any tool in the store for free and also gives me a 15% discount, even if Im buying a candy bar.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:07 PM   #10
irishman999

Alot of orileys problem is their customer service, for 10 bucks an hour i don't expect them to have a team of experts but i recall standing in line holding some heavy ass brake rotors for 15 minuites while 4 of them are screwing around behind the counter. No body seemed to care about the line.

Finally got up to the front, The kid first said he was not sure if he could turn "rotors that big", they were stock rotors off a 07 chevy tahoe.

Then he claimed he was not allowed to turn rotors with wd-40 on them, apparently they penetrate the metal and it makes the bit not cut? Wd-40 does not penetrate right? Every time i go in that place i get the wrong part, insulted or some excuses.

Did i mention crappy parts, i think i did haha.

Last edited by irishman999; 07-05-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:13 PM   #11
jake wells
Account Suspended

i go to federated or advance auto as they are the only ones with smart people around
jake wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:15 PM   #12
joe1982
.. !WAR FEDOR! ..

no complaints here, mine switched from kragan to oreily, and the only thing that i have noticed that changed was the floor.
"san diego chargers #1"
joe1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:17 PM   #13
texasfunk

never really had a problm wit the o'reillys downt the street, me and my dad have been going there for years and the guys there are a bunch of (no offense) older gentelmen who were HUGE hot rod guys back in the day and really know their stuff, havent had a problem yet, autozone on the other hand, went for some header gaskets the other day, he kept saying, "we dont have them or we moved them and i dont know where they are, sorry cant help you" just like that, my dad went right down the aisle, and there they were, he showed them to the kid "oh, i didnt know you meant those" my dad just said, can i speak to your manager please? shoulda seen the look on his face..
1982 El Camino 350/350
1979 K5 2wd blazer bagged/bodied
1986 Monte Carlo SS
1991 Chevy CK SWB-67 clip and tailgate, bagged 350/700r4
1955 Chevy Bel Air
2014 Chevy Silverado ccsb

Last edited by texasfunk; 07-05-2010 at 02:58 PM.
texasfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:18 PM   #14
63chevyll
gets board easy.......

those parts guys are morons, i have only met a few who know what they are talking about,

they tried getting me on a comercial account but i cant stand dealing with those guys
63chevyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:37 PM   #15
joe1982
.. !WAR FEDOR! ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfunk View Post
never really had a problm wit the o'reillys downt the street, me and my dad have been going there for years and the guys there are a bunch of (no offense) older gentelmen who were HUGE hot rod guys back in the day and really know their stuff, havent had a problem yet, auto on the other hand, went for some header gaskets the other day, he kept saying, "we dont have them or we moved them and i dont know where they are, sorry cant help you" just like that, my dad went right down the aisle, and there they were, he showed them to the kid "oh, i didnt know you meant those" my dad just said, can i speak to your manager please? shoulda seen the look on his face..
haha, i feel you on that one.
"san diego chargers #1"
joe1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #16
misternash2

[QUOTE=irishman999;4074543]Alot of orileys problem is their customer service, for 10 bucks an hour i don't expect them to have a team of experts but QUOTE]

i worked at o'reilly's part time a few years ago. those guys don't get close to 10 an hour. i'll agree that some of 'em...all but the manager and dealer guy are completely lost. i had one of them looking through every book and website he could think of for a radiator cap for a 68 volkswagen. literally looked for 35-40 minutes. then he called the main help line. i got a really dirty look from that one. also try to get one of em to find parts for an 83 vette. equally funny. that said, i got a very long verbal warning about sending an acquaintance to napa for a thermostat because the ones they sell are JUNK. i still don't like auto zone and i'll go to napa if they're open and have what i need. and auto zone as a last resort.

EDIT: i got 8.25 an hour when i worked there. just an FYI.

Last edited by misternash2; 07-05-2010 at 05:00 PM.
misternash2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:40 PM   #17
junkyardjohn

I always try napa first. Maybe it's just me... But I lived in MI, Nevada & now in KY and I don't know why.. Maybe they treat there employees better.. Or pay em better?? But I never have to deal with 19 year old pimple faced know it alls that give me the wrong part 80% of the time & can't find my application in the computer. Yeh.. I'll pay a little more to get decent service & some decent advice when I need it. No counter person there (in any of them) has ever tried to b.s me or insinuate that I'm lying or don't know what I own. Sometimes saving 50 cents just isn't worth it to me. & Im kinda........thrifty. John
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST

Last edited by junkyardjohn; 07-05-2010 at 05:44 PM.
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:44 PM   #18
cableguy0

Theres only so many places these places can cut costs in order to sell for parts cheap. Salaries are gonna be the first thing cut. You normally get what you pay for. If you pay 8 bucks an hour you get an 8 dollar an hour employee. Having a guy with knowledge costs money and they arent willing to pay.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:59 PM   #19
Zane M

NAPA only for me.
Zane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:13 PM   #20
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

oriellys #1 Autozone # 2 Advanced #3

Napa and carquest are in a league of their own, there so $$$

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:43 PM   #21
irishman999

[quote=misternash2;4074787]
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishman999 View Post
Alot of orileys problem is their customer service, for 10 bucks an hour i don't expect them to have a team of experts but QUOTE]

i worked at o'reilly's part time a few years ago. those guys don't get close to 10 an hour. i'll agree that some of 'em...all but the manager and dealer guy are completely lost. i had one of them looking through every book and website he could think of for a radiator cap for a 68 volkswagen. literally looked for 35-40 minutes. then he called the main help line. i got a really dirty look from that one. also try to get one of em to find parts for an 83 vette. equally funny. that said, i got a very long verbal warning about sending an acquaintance to napa for a thermostat because the ones they sell are JUNK. i still don't like auto zone and i'll go to napa if they're open and have what i need. and auto zone as a last resort.

EDIT: i got 8.25 an hour when i worked there. just an FYI.
Ok so it seems like these parts stores are buying cheap stock from china, hiring high school kids and trying to make their stores efficient like wal-mart, I dont think its working or them. Volkswagen radiator cap is hilarious, he should have looked next to the plug wires for the 98 5.9 cummins dodge
Old 07-05-2010, 11:01 PM   #22
champions53

I worked at the local ford dealer for about 9 yrs in parts and then Oreilly came to town an came looking to hire me a few yrs after they were here wanting someone who knew parts and worked with the local commercial shops. I was given the second store in town to run after my training, what a mistake. The pay is really not what they tell you for a store manager ( The store manager gets paid off the bottom line even after the bathroom tissue is bought just like you owned the place). Just like any chain they want lowest payroll and biggest profit margains I got that store from selling 8 grand a month in commercial to doing around 60 grand. Got me nowhere plus with what they pay hourly employees its hard to get a decent person on the counter. They also will get a foot in the door at a shop an promise the world but cant deliver. As for the parts, the upper level parts are great if you want to pay about 50% more to get good ones. Sorry thread struck a nerve had to rant!
champions53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:51 PM   #23
f.monroe

Our local Oreilly used to be called Hi-Lo Auto Parts. That was a long time ago. The guys that worked there did so because they needed a line on cheap parts for their own hot rods. Think employee discount . Then as they grew , the quality of employee behind the counter went down . Now if they cant find it in a computer , it must not exist . I understand that parts have changed over the years but most of these guys dont even know how to change their own oil. I also get that from all of the above mentioned parts stores , not just one . There are auto parts guys here that know what is going on and you can tell which ones they are because the others ask them questions about every thing . The thing I like is that I usually know what part I need and if they give me something wrong , I usually catch it at the counter and have them correct it .
Frank
Old 07-06-2010, 12:10 AM   #24
irishman999

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.monroe View Post
Our local Oreilly used to be called Hi-Lo Auto Parts. That was a long time ago. The guys that worked there did so because they needed a line on cheap parts for their own hot rods. Think employee discount . Then as they grew , the quality of employee behind the counter went down . Now if they cant find it in a computer , it must not exist . I understand that parts have changed over the years but most of these guys dont even know how to change their own oil. I also get that from all of the above mentioned parts stores , not just one . There are auto parts guys here that know what is going on and you can tell which ones they are because the others ask them questions about every thing . The thing I like is that I usually know what part I need and if they give me something wrong , I usually catch it at the counter and have them correct it .
Frank
Good point, when you show up to a parts store your confident in what you need. Everyone i have had dealings with offers no advice or knowledge. Your telling them what you need so here's my idea...

Flip the computer monitors around so the customer can find what they need right quick, have two "parts guys" to ring us up and retrieve the parts from the back. Would this not work better?
Old 07-06-2010, 12:22 AM   #25
spinem
haha, ford guys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishman999 View Post
1)I bought a carburetor rebuild kit from these clowns, the gaskets looked cheap, did not seem to have alot of parts. The thicker rubber gasket that goes on top of the plastic power valve was to thick and bent the top of my carburetor causing a huge vacuum leak.
I found a GP Sorsen kit from Autozone that contained better gaskets, more parts, way better quality and most important everything fit. I even paid less.

2) Spark plug wire set i bought from Orileys came with 1 wire that is so short it barely even goes on, It rides right on the exhaust manifold. I Tried the wire on the closest cylinders just to be sure im not crazy, the one wire will not fit any cylinder.

3)I was in Orileys "performance section" for a pair of spark plug wire holders, found some cool looking Moroso clips with the package ripped open and taped back together, cost 15.99. I got to the truck and found it was missing half the kit rendering it completely useless. I tried to return the kit and explained what was wrong and the kid behind the counter accused me of lieing after they sold me an opened kit missing pieces. After that occurrence i took every part i could think of buying recently back to Orileys for a refund and replaced everything with parts from Autozone.

F*&$ Oriley auto parts!
these guys tried to sell me brake like accessories in place of correct pipe thread.....

4 visits to make the correct trip for spark plug wires.....

go to napa. they sell quality.
spinem is offline   Reply With Quote