The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2018, 06:48 PM   #1
cansled

TF Steering issue help

Having trouble figuring out the steering issue on a 56 straight axle. During the rebuild I originally kept the manual steering setup. Had the suspension looked over and everything checked out nice and tight. I had an alignment done and they added some shims to correct the wandering at highway speeds. It corrected some of the wandering but never seemed to be stable coming out of a corner.

Figuring the gearbox might be worn out causing the steering to be loose; and the fact that I was giving the truck to my 70 year old dad, I decided to add CPP Power Steering instead. The power steering install went fine, but the same symptom still exists as when it had manual steering. So now I know it was NOT the gearbox.

Here is what is happening: In town the truck turns and handles perfect. It tracks straight and doesn't seep loose or wobbly. On the highway, the truck tracks straight, but the problem comes in the corners. When turning out of a corner, the steering seems slow to react when turning the steering wheel. This causes the driver to turn the steering even more, only for it to suddenly over react and quickly turn out of the corner. This usual requires a correction in the other direction to get it tracking straight again. So every corner requires extra concentration and corrections.

It is too much for my dad is scared to drive it on the highway.....not good!
Please help!
cansled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:48 AM   #2
G&R's57GMC

Re: TF Steering issue help

Did you replace the shackles and the pins at the fixed end of the leaf springs ?

It sounds like the leaf spring are moving side to side under steering loads.
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote