The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2018, 06:31 PM   #1
Stewsclues

Getting ready for summer

Greetings!
Been reading a lot here... thanks for the shared knowledge and place to see awesome trucks. Mine is a 72 C10 that started out as a short bed fleetside but now has a step side bed. 350, TH350, factory air, and a decent non factory restoration on the 90’s. I drive it everyday here in Orlando... but summer (and Orlando traffic) is coming again.
Did kind of OK last summer... had to be smart about traffic lights. It will run too hot if not careful. I wanted to do the Cherokee electric fan conversion with the current shroud because of price and factoryish look, but discovered my truck has a big block shroud (I checked part numbers) and I do not know why.
SPID shows 350, has a 350 (not original but was told it was a low mileage motor from another 72 C10 put in at the time it was restored. The fan is 18” and is 2.5 inches from the top of the shroud and about 3/4” from the bottom. It is a non clutch fan.

1. If I get a small block shroud, will the fan sit centered and then cool better due to filling the hole better?
2. I think I read there is an AC and non AC shroud?
3. Will the shroud bolt up with no other changes?
4. If I get a small block shroud and do the Jeep electric fan mod, will I need to change the pulley because it extends into the current shroud?

Thanks so much. I have tried to look up these questions on the forum but kind of a odd situation?
Chris
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Stewsclues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:47 PM   #2
custom10nut

Re: Getting ready for summer

I took my clutch fan out, because I was having the same issue. I put a 6 blade no-clutch fan in, and haven't had an overheat problem since
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:57 PM   #3
jocko

Welcome to the forum. While I can't tell you if your Cherokee fan will fit properly in the current or correct shroud, I would personally recommend the correct stock shroud and I'd dump the Cherokee fan in favor of an original clutch style fan (looks like you have a flex fan at the moment?). Worked back in the day, but of course that was BEFORE global warming...
EDIT: One more thought - the only nagging issue I've had recently with overheating was a few years ago - turned out I had an air pocket in the radiator. A good mech found it with a temp gun and purged it, all good ever since. Just one more consideration. Not common, but can happen.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:03 PM   #4
Kennuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Welcome to the forum. While I can't tell you if your Cherokee fan will fit properly in the current or correct shroud, I would personally recommend the correct stock shroud and I'd dump the Cherokee fan in favor of an original clutch style fan (looks like you have a flex fan at the moment?). Worked back in the day, but of course that was BEFORE global warming...
Yep what Jocko said.
3:73 gears, Boyd's Tank
2.5 / 4 drop 5 lug disc brakes
Vintage Air
18x8 Ridlers 255/55 frt. 18x9.5 275/60 rear
Kennuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:16 PM   #5
B. W.

What Jocko said.

1. Get the correct shroud & the correct fan & clutch (I'd go with the heavy duty option even though you don't have A/C)

2. the A/C shroud is 1" shorter than the non-A/C shroud, get the non-A/C shroud (LMC about $60.00 plus ship)

3. If your radiator is stock it will bolt right up. If you don't have the clips/bolts LMC has them too.

4. I would stay stock if possible (I had a '72 super with A/C as a daily driver in south fla years ago, always ran the A/C, it always ran cool)
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:40 PM   #6
Stewsclues

Ok, will consider going with a clutch fan... do not know if radiator is stock. Has the trans cooling lines hooked right into the radiator a few inches below the cap and a few inches above the lower hose. Looks like it belongs. Would the correct shroud bolt up the same as the big block shroud (same brackets and such), or are the “bolt pattern” of the shrouds different?
Thanks again!
Posted via Mobile Device
Stewsclues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:53 PM   #7
rockyrivermark

I would get a 4 core aluminum radiator. Champion has them for about $250.
The aluminum cools better.
That with fan recommendations here and I'd bet you'd be good.
I had some overheat issues and the 3 core aluminum rad fixed that.
Mark
http://www.cbcabinets.com
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:13 PM   #8
sauxs

I had over heating issues in a BB Camaro with a non-clutch fan, shroud and an aluminum radiator. I changed to a 7 blade fan, heavy duty fan clutch, high flow thermostat and a Stewart High Flow pump.
Still creeps up there in a lot of stop and go traffic, but much better than before.
Steve
sauxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:30 PM   #9
B. W.

The correct shroud will bolt up like the BB shroud.
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 12:41 AM   #10
Richard Jensen

Go all original, (except the rad. Alum would be cheaper). Here's why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXdLgaFXZzs

It is eye opening.

Thanks!
Richard