The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2017, 12:43 PM   #1
bosco

Old Air Hurricane not cooling

My new (2 months) Old Air Hurricane AC stopped cooling. It was working great until Saturday. We did an air purge (burped) on the cooling system, so we opening the heater core to high to expel any trapped air. After that the cab will not cool down, it's not hot just the same as outside temp.

Compressor engages when AC is on. But here is the strange part. Usually the hoses are hot, but only the hose to the heat exchanger (in front of the radiator) gets hot now. The condensor doesn't even get warm, and it would get hot when operating. It's like no refrigerent is going into the cab.

Now I know nothing about AC systems to even start to look at what's wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:02 PM   #2
B. W.

Re: Old Air Hurricane not cooling

If the compressor is coming on then system should work. The system has a pressure switch that will shut off the compressor if you are low on refrigerant. (leaks are one of the most common issues with A/C systems)

Your system comes in a "cable" version or an electronic version, it's possible one of the doors is not operating. If yours is cable, do the controls feel normal? (not too stiff, not too loose) - a cable could have come unhooked.

Call Old Air - they'll walk you through diagnosing the system.
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:14 PM   #3
bosco

Thanks. I am reaching out to Old Air. System has electronic controls. Since its only a couple of months old I wasn't thinking a freon leak. Again, thanks.
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:47 PM   #4
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

I am not an expert but I've replaced compressors and done other work on my own vehicles. The few things I've learned is that you have to have a set of gauges and know how to hook them up and know what the readings mean. So if at all possible take it to a shop to have them check it out. Can't cause too much for a check and may save you some bucks.

Here's the few things I've found out. Too little freon as well as moisture and too much freon can give you the same symptoms of not cooling. The gauges will also tell you if the compressor is bad even though the clutch is engaging.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote