The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
cst69
Hollywood

2014's are out!

Went to take the '12 in for service, walking thru the showroom looking for litature on the 2014 silverado. Salesman says he hasn't seen any litature but....they just yesterday recieved 2 different 2014 silverado Z-71's and I went out on the lot to check them out...suttle changes for sure. Didn't get to drive one but in just looking at it, I only have one question. How long do we have to wait for a re-design?
1992 chevy ext. cab Project: leftovers
2003 Silverado ext. cab shortbed (my dad's truck R.I.P.)
1969 trans am clone, pro tour
1985 Yamaha Vmax, custom
1993 Yamaha Vmax, showbike
1969 Sears Suburban SS12 lawn tractor
cst69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Re: 2014's are out!

They have been on the ground for a couple weeks here. I see a lot of other trucks in the design. Just not feeling it yet, but I still haven't got over the 87/88 body change.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
dishow

I agree. Not much of a WOW affect.
Posted via Mobile Device
93 chevy camaro z28 auto t-tops
2013 Chevy Silverado LT CCSB 4x4
dishow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
yote1234

and no more extended cab! just all 4 doors opening the same way, like a crew cab.
1968 Camaro 327
1968 Honda mini-trail z50a #377
1966 uh 1-D Huey
yote1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
Dalaigh
Canadian Trucker

I like the new trucks, the GMC more so, but the lack of extended cab's pisses me off, and is going to hurt the sales more then anything. Now the extended cab trucks will be as useless as the Ford's and Dodge's, But at least now you can get the crew cab's with a 6.5' box, they are now longer useless, so thats a plus. I just wish GM would offer the 6.2 in a regular cab short box 2wd, then I'd be ordering one.

2020 Silverado Trail Boss - 6.2/10spd
Dalaigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
MadManAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalaigh View Post
the lack of extended cab's pisses me off, and is going to hurt the sales more then anything. Now the extended cab trucks will be as useless as the Ford's and Dodge's.
You'll have to explain that. They're still making an extended cab pickup, it's just that the back doors open independently of the fronts. Please explain how that makes them more useless? They did it so passengers can get in and out easier, especially in tight parking spaces where it was near impossible with previous models.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
Dalaigh
Canadian Trucker

Sorry I should've been more specific, the lack of suicide doors for extended cab trucks makes the extended cab useless. A friend has a Dodge extended cab (with the short standard style door) and both of us agree that when loading and unloading the back of our extended cabs (groceries, tools and suck), the standard style doors are useless, they get in the way, they open what maybe 80 degrees. My extended cab's suicide doors open 170 degrees right out of the way, making loading a breeze. It is one of the best things GM had going for the trucks, and now they've made the extended cabs just as useless Dodge. And I was wrong Ford still has suicide doors, but the only open 90 degrees. Not as useful as my 170 degrees doors, but at least with both side doors open theres plenty of room to load.
I have no problem with passengers getting in and out of my truck, even in parking lots. The only passenger that has issues is my brother, but he is mentally handicapped, so he sits up front anyway.
And if you have a lot of passengers, buy a crew cab. The extended cab truck was intended to be used as a tradesman or work truck, with a place to securely store their tools and equipment. The original extended cabs either didn't have back seats or had fold down jump seats, this is the way they should still be, but all the manufactures seem to think the more people you can get in the better.
But, it doesn't really matter anyway now, the days of the extended cab are numbered. I wouldn't doubt they just stop making them in a few years, now that they finally sell a useful bed size with a half ton crew cab. Who ever designed the 5' bed obviously never worked a day in his life, anything shorter then 6.5' is pointless. My next truck will be a crew cab with a 6.5' bed, I won't even entertain the idea of buying an extended cab now.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
Ziegelsteinfaust

I agree Dodges extended/base crew is horrid, and if GM went that way I can only imagine it was for safety reasons. Crash test with the suicide doors is a hard thing to make right.

While I really never see myself buying a extended cab. I do not think there days are numbered yet. The RCSB days are numbered because of cafe rules. Which is the trucks I like.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #9
dishow

"The original extended cabs either didn't have back seats or had fold down jump seats"

not correct. full size chevy trucks always had full bench rear folding seats in the extended cab. first offered in 1988. the s-10 and other compacts had jump seats.
93 chevy camaro z28 auto t-tops
2013 Chevy Silverado LT CCSB 4x4
dishow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #10
Dalaigh
Canadian Trucker

I'm not talking about GM's first extended cabs, I'm talking about the first extended cabs, from ford, international or dodge, and the aftermarket cabs built on the 80's GM's. They were all utilitarian in design, not meant for hauling the family around.

In 73 Dodge introduced the Club Cab and in 74 Ford come out with the Supercab, in the 50's Toyota even had an extended cab.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #11
nds1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishow View Post
I agree. Not much of a WOW affect.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree with the WOW factor. I seen one on the road the other day and I had to look twice before I realized it was a 2014. I like the new models better than my current 2012 Sierra.

1967 short fleet Project Blue Goose
'If it don't bounce back... heeheehee you go hungry!" Blues Brothers
nds1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:59 PM   #12
68GMCburban

I went and looked at them and test drove one today, and while test driving, I actually got behind another 2014. I do not like them driving down the road from the back. I love the front. The grille, the headlights. But I'm not a huge fan of the bed. So I'm going to look at a GMC at another lot to see if it sways me any.
1968 GMC Suburban- (Current project) Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=569806
(6) 60-66s (shortstep, rollback, two-ton, longbeds)
(3) 47-59s half tons
+ MANY more and always looking for more
68GMCburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #13
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Wow! Dalaigh you dont have a blindly biased opinion to offer do you? I am driving GM crewcab #5 now and didn't realize it was such a useless truck till you pointed it out repeatedly. Why would i want a fully functional rear compartment that adults can sit comfortably in when I could have 20% less space.
What possible advantage would it be to open just one door to load boxes when I could open two to do the same job. I guess it doesnt matter because apparently I have never worked a day in my life so I have no idea what my needs are.

Anyway, the 14's are here in full force in Houston. I looked at them when I picked up my 13 Sierra and found just as many things I do like as those that I didnt. I am sure I will own one, but not till they get the bugs worked out. Besides, the 11k I got off of sticker was not being offered on a 14 so I am really pleased with my old school 2013 even if it is a useless crewcab.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #14
Dalaigh
Canadian Trucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Wow! Dalaigh you dont have a blindly biased opinion to offer do you? I am driving GM crewcab #5 now and didn't realize it was such a useless truck till you pointed it out repeatedly. Why would i want a fully functional rear compartment that adults can sit comfortably in when I could have 20% less space.
What possible advantage would it be to open just one door to load boxes when I could open two to do the same job. I guess it doesnt matter because apparently I have never worked a day in my life so I have no idea what my needs are.

Anyway, the 14's are here in full force in Houston. I looked at them when I picked up my 13 Sierra and found just as many things I do like as those that I didnt. I am sure I will own one, but not till they get the bugs worked out. Besides, the 11k I got off of sticker was not being offered on a 14 so I am really pleased with my old school 2013 even if it is a useless crewcab.
Ok, because people can't seem to grasp this, I'm talking about Extended cab models, that means cab and a half trucks, not full crew cab trucks. Your truck, a crew cab, has a functional cab, if you need to carry around four adults on a regular basis, I don't. I needed a 1/2ton truck with a useful 6'+ bed (*at the time only available on extend cab trucks), with room to store tools inside the truck. As I've said, now that the Crew cab is available with a useful 6.5' bed, I will likely get one, not the now impractical extended cab.

Again, this is better and more practical

then this

but this

is as practical as the suicide extended doors

Next time, I'll just let my brother explain it!

Old 07-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #15
Dalaigh
Canadian Trucker

Quote:
Sorry I should've been more specific, the lack of suicide doors for extended cab trucks makes the extended cab useless. A friend has a Dodge extended cab (with the short standard style door) and both of us agree that when loading and unloading the back of our extended cabs (groceries, tools and suck), the standard style doors are useless, they get in the way, they open what maybe 80 degrees. My extended cab's suicide doors open 170 degrees right out of the way, making loading a breeze. It is one of the best things GM had going for the trucks, and now they've made the extended cabs just as useless Dodge. And I was wrong Ford still has suicide doors, but the only open 90 degrees. Not as useful as my 170 degrees doors, but at least with both side doors open theres plenty of room to load.
I have no problem with passengers getting in and out of my truck, even in parking lots. The only passenger that has issues is my brother, but he is mentally handicapped, so he sits up front anyway.
And if you have a lot of passengers, buy a crew cab. The extended cab truck was intended to be used as a tradesman or work truck, with a place to securely store their tools and equipment. The original extended cabs either didn't have back seats or had fold down jump seats, this is the way they should still be, but all the manufactures seem to think the more people you can get in the better.
But, it doesn't really matter anyway now, the days of the extended cab are numbered. I wouldn't doubt they just stop making them in a few years, now that they finally sell a useful bed size with a half ton crew cab. Who ever designed the 5' bed obviously never worked a day in his life, anything shorter then 6.5' is pointless. My next truck will be a crew cab with a 6.5' bed, I won't even entertain the idea of buying an extended cab now.
This,

Old 07-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #16
SeTx67

I personally didn't like the looks of the extended cabs on the 07-13 year models but it had a bigger bed. I owned a crew cab and loved the extra room where as some think the bed is useless. It's all about personal needs and comfort imo. Just get the 6.2 and you'll have a smile on your face
Posted via Mobile Device
SeTx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #17
yote1234

personally i like the suicide doors. but its preference.
1968 Camaro 327
1968 Honda mini-trail z50a #377
1966 uh 1-D Huey
yote1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #18
buffle
buffle

Bought a new regular cab short bed 13. While they are changing tonneau off my 09 , they gave me a 14 Z71 loaner. The electric steering is weird , whatever they did to compensate for road feel sucks. The truck feels heavy , and when you take your foot off the gas for a turn it feels like you`ve shut the engine off. Since I am used to a smaller truck some of it may just be me ,but I sure don`t see any homeruns here.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:37 AM   #19
SlowYourRoll

Quote:
Ok, because people can't seem to grasp this, I'm talking about Extended cab models, that means cab and a half trucks, not full crew cab trucks. ...
Next time, I'll just let my brother explain it!
LOL! That made me laugh, don't worry man, I was with you the whole time!

I remember my old 92 extended cab silverado, the back doors just didn't open. You had to slide the seat forward to crawl in and out of the backseat! Talk about not convenient for groceries!

Now, your post did make me wonder... is the radius that is required to swing that third suicide door all the way open bigger than what the non-suicide doors open? Like if you are in a tight garage or parking spot, are you actually limited on how far that will open because of it needing to come around to 90 degrees where it hits the peak?
SlowYourRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:41 AM   #20
SlowYourRoll

I haven't really been watching and noticing any of the newest body styles on the roads around here. I have to say, when I saw my first 2007 tahoe, I hated it! So much plain and flatness on the body panels. Now, I think they might be my favorite body style.

I noticed the new 2014 silverado on an episode of duck dynasty and had to rewind to get another look at that front grille with the chrome breaking the side markers up like the 88-98s. I really like the 2007 headlights better!
SlowYourRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:43 PM   #21
creep
Registered Loser

Just got this today. Didn't need a crew cab, didn't want a regular cab.

'63 GMC lwb, 383, th350, lays frame, genuine patina.
The Build Thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=374267
'88 Astro cargo bagged, shaved, phantom grille. *SOLD*
'50 Chevy 2 door sedan awaiting attention.
2014 Silverado Ext cab, 5.3, daily driver.
creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:43 PM   #22
creep
Registered Loser

opps...

'63 GMC lwb, 383, th350, lays frame, genuine patina.
The Build Thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=374267
'88 Astro cargo bagged, shaved, phantom grille. *SOLD*
'50 Chevy 2 door sedan awaiting attention.
2014 Silverado Ext cab, 5.3, daily driver.
creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:46 AM   #23
pdxhall

Quote:
Everyone that is looking for a truck is not necessarily looking for a work truck. I've worked plenty of days in my life without a truck at all.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #24
Dale99

Its nice to read that they are finally offering a 6' bed with the crew cabs. Now to just wait tell they redesign it to a better looking truck.
1972 Jimmy 4x4 L05,4L60E,np205http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=546364
1967 C10 L6/3tree(dads truck)
Dale99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:59 PM   #25
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale99 View Post
Now to just wait tell they redesign it to a better looking truck.
I think that program stopped in 1987.