The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2016, 04:24 PM   #1
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

need some help

My work truck is a 2008 GMC Sierra 2wd with 4.3 and automatic. Has 295K miles and have had no issues with truck other than normal maintenance stuff until about a month ago. Truck started running rough so I pulled it in the shop and found #1 plug wire burnt in half. Replaced that wire and plug (even though old plug looked as good as the new one) and everything back to normal. Fast forward to last Wed., Truck barely idles then jumps to high rpms then cuts off. While revving up the lights also start flashing (all the lights, dash, headlights and parking) bright to dim the whole time. Since we were near the dealer I bought the truck from I dropped it off to them. They called Friday morning and said Cats were clogged up and there was nothing they could do with that issue. They also said truck would not run long enough to tell anything on the computer. So, I paid them $90 then a rollback $60 and brought truck home.
I had a complete motor/ drivetrain takeout sitting here from a wrecked 07' that i bought. That truck only had 29K miles on it when wrecked, so I feel pretty good about the cats being good. I put truck up on my lift and removed the Y pipe with the cats and replaced it with the one off of the 07'. Had to pie cut my existing tailpipe and reweld to get the tailpipe to the correct angle, but everything came together nice. It went together well enough I knew the problem was not fixed lol. Sure enough dropped truck back down and no change in startup.

I bought a cheap $20 code reader and it is throwing several codes.

P0301 which is still a misfire on cyl 1 if I read correctly

P0420 which if I read correct is still an issue with the cats

P0442 small leak in evap system

The other 7 faults were coming up as all 00000

It also had 2 C codes

C0300 which comes up as 4wd not working (which is correct since truck is 2wd)

C0700 which I could not find a definition for

With all that said
Truck has 295K so I don't see a need to dump tons of money since it is a work truck.
I don't know much about all of the emissions/ electronics on the newer stuff
Since it runs no better I see no need to take back to dealer.

Can someone point me in the right direction? the lights flashing is what has me concerned the most. It makes me think there may be a bigger problem.

Thanks
Richard

BTW the 07' was the classic body style and I have found that most everything on it is different from the 08' so I am not sure short of swapping in the complete engine how much good it would do.

Sorry for the long write up
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:03 PM   #2
richard2717

Re: need some help

Anyone?

I forgot to mention in original post that the truck is loading up real bad as well. A couple times on way to dealer it was almost bad enough it looked like it was rollin coal like the diesels. Could something have failed in the fuel injection causing it to flood gas? It still would leave my issue with the lights flashing
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:19 AM   #3
richard2717

I just got the bill from the dealer for testing and the codes they are showing vary from what my cheapo scanner showed. They have listed

Attached Images

Old 03-28-2017, 11:55 PM   #4
billnorman

What you should do is sell me that 2007 wrecked pickup and buy a different truck.
I'd like a newer v-8 and transmission for my 1985 and a better frame for my 92 suburban. Since I live right here in Delaware, it should be easy.
Find a real mechanic, not that dealer, one that could fix his own truck if it broke down without a big computer.
billnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:42 AM   #5
richard2717

Bill,
The 07' was parted out long ago. THe only thing left is the engine , transmission and complete wire harness. It is a 4.3 v6. I have put the 08' up for sale on local craigslist with or without the new tires and with or without the engine combo. I pulled my Home depot back bed off of it and put the factory bed back on it that has been in storage since new.

Here is how it sits right now

I did take it to another local mechanic and he replaced the throttle position sensor which did not help at all. He is telling me it needs a new computer which would have to be done at the dealer. I found a 02' with a 5.3 and half the mileage that I just bought and am using that now.

Attached Images

Old 03-30-2017, 05:43 AM   #6
billnorman

Man, you must have connections, you find some good low milers. I'll get back to you, I have no need for a truck that looks so good nor a v-6 engine. I'll I-M you we'll hook up later, preferably in person and when I can hide a chassis.
billnorman is offline   Reply With Quote