The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2017, 10:57 PM   #1
Standardfarmer

366 Tall deck distributer

I just picked up a 70 chevy C60 with the 366 tall deck motor. It doesn't want to stay running after it gets warm. The previous owner said he thinks the distributer has an issue. He said the points were converted to electronic a while back but it is quirky.

I would like to swap out the whole distributer with a new HEI. I wanted to check with you guys before I accidentally buy the wrong thing since I've heard of horror stories with oil pumps not working and gears not matching up if you don't buy the right one.

Do any of you recommend a HEI distributer brand/model that you have good experience with on the 366 tall deck motor? Thank you
Standardfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:58 AM   #2
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Re: 366 Tall deck distributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standardfarmer View Post
I just picked up a 70 chevy C60 with the 366 tall deck motor. It doesn't want to stay running after it gets warm. The previous owner said he thinks the distributer has an issue. He said the points were converted to electronic a while back but it is quirky.

I would like to swap out the whole distributer with a new HEI. I wanted to check with you guys before I accidentally buy the wrong thing since I've heard of horror stories with oil pumps not working and gears not matching up if you don't buy the right one.

Do any of you recommend a HEI distributer brand/model that you have good experience with on the 366 tall deck motor? Thank you

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/dui-13720bk

No governor though
Old 08-06-2017, 08:45 AM   #3
Standardfarmer

Thank you I appreciate that. I will go with this one. Any tricks on the install or will it swap right in? Thanks
Old 08-06-2017, 03:26 PM   #4
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standardfarmer View Post
Thank you I appreciate that. I will go with this one. Any tricks on the install or will it swap right in? Thanks
I would set the slip collar height the same as the old one.
And spin the engine without 12v to the distributor and check oil pressure and gear pattern on the cam.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:33 PM   #5
bradenj1966

The HEI will be a great swap, my only suggestion is I have seen and repaired many older trucks where someone did the exact same swap and still had issues. I got burned over 20 years ago when at the shop we swapped in a hei and when the truck got warm it ran poorly, we tried everything, new HEI, new carb, rebuilt the 454, went nuts trying to figure out why.

Then a old timer came by the shop and laughed at us, he had to remind us that on some of the older trucks there was a resistor wire in the harness that fed the coil and dist. This was so that when the eng was staring there was a hot spark. As the truck warms up the dist and coil have reduced voltage to it to keep from burning up the points and coil. Some models had a resistor on the coil and some on the firewall, others were in the harness. We stripped the harness back, removed the resistor wire and we towed race cars for many years after that without any issues. And the old timer would raz us every time he came by after that until he was no longer with us.

Just my 2c
bradenj1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:31 AM   #6
Standardfarmer

Thanks for all the help. Very good advice that will very likely save me from having many headaches later. I will be installing the Davis Ignition this weekend. I'll be sure to check for oil pressure, set the slip collar and I'll look for that resistor. Thanks again.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:34 PM   #7
Nobighurry

Perfect timing. I'm about to order this myself. I've looked all over for a TD distributor. Let me know how it goes. I've got the same truck and engine.
Nobighurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:28 AM   #8
regan wilson

I have been using slip collar distributors for years on my tall deck race motors. An easy way to set it up is loosen the collar and install the distributor without a gasket. Lock the collar in place (it should be a small allen head screw). I usually glue the gasket to the dist with silicone. Once installed you will have ample clearance where the gear and oil pump drive meshes.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:24 AM   #9
Nobighurry

How did the install go?
Nobighurry is offline   Reply With Quote