The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2004, 03:03 PM   #1
Bluegoose972

Protecting Against Theft???

Unfortunately, when the Blazer gets finished, I'll be turning the garage back over to my wife for her car. Besides, the blazer probably won't fit due to tires and the lift kit. It is so easy to break into these rigs, especially with a rag top, that I'm concerned about theft.

What do you guys use to protect your truck?

It may sound like overkill, but I'm considering a two part method:

1) A keyed battery cuttoff switch;
2) Bolting a plate to my driveway with a section of welded chain that I can wrap around the front axle and lock.
Bluegoose972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 04:10 PM   #2
1970blazin
Blazerless:-(

I think if anyone wanted to bad enough they could cut the welded chain and steal your blazer.
What about that "Lojack" system- anyone tried that.
What about the "Club" does that work?

Do you want to protect the contents and stereo, or not to have it stolen?

1970 CST Blazer-Orig. Dark Blue-SOLD

Progress Pics of Blazer for sale
1970blazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 04:21 PM   #3
bpmcgee

It's all a matter of balance -- given someone with enough determination, they can break into or steal anything.

How much determination do you want to deter?

Brian
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 04:26 PM   #4
Dan72cst

Smith & Wesson
68 2wd Chevy LWB 327/400
Dan72cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 05:13 PM   #5
Alexis
Member since 2000

The club is nothing special, it can be broken. Being a installer at a stereo shop I can steal almost any import and most average american cars and trucks. Steering lock is the least of my worrys not like our truck have them but we can make something similar. The only thing you can't steal is a BMW and mercedes, good luck fooling a lazer cut key or taking one of them apart in time. Even if you tow these cars they have tracking devices that can rivial most military tracking devices.

Low jack is good but it doesn't take long to take a car apart, the idea is the make sure they can't get to it or have a understanding of where you tracking device sits. Making a plate for under your dash will comsume to much time for a thief especially if you got an alarm going off.

The cost of an alarm is the price you pay for quality. Hood pins and a hood lock are also a great asset. When it comes to secruity you got to use your imagination. Also there are alot of add-ons to alarms that arn't normaly talked about and sold with the average alarm. Stick to DEI stuff but there are higher end model but cost increases quite a bit. Find a good shop and ask about the add-on to an alarm.

Remember relays are your friend. You can set one output on alarm to conrtrolle a couple of relays that can shut off anything in your car at the same time or activate something like a lock. Proxy sensor are great since we have convertables, this is different from a shock sensor. a proxy enosr set a field out so any movmement whitin it field can set the alarm off or warning shirp incase of leaf or bird decide to rest on your blazer.

Last edited by Alexis; 03-02-2004 at 05:44 PM.
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 05:21 PM   #6
MMGOODIE
I love doing it topless

nothing left to say.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan72cst
Smith & Wesson

What you will need to do (especially with the rag top) is get you a convertible friendly alarm that marks a perimeter around your rig even when you have the top down. When someone gets to close, it will emit a chirping noise and if they don't get back quick enough, the alarm will go off.

as far as "lojack" goes, if it's offered in your area it is a great way to get your rig back but not stop them in the first place.

As for stopping them you can also put in an electric fuel pump hooked up to a toggle switch so they can only go as far as the fuel from the pump to the carb will take them.

Also like you said do the battery cut off but put it in multiple locations.

Hope this helps

"If you can read this, thank a teacher;
If you are reading it in English, thank a soldier."

Last edited by MMGOODIE; 03-02-2004 at 05:27 PM.
MMGOODIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 05:38 PM   #7
bpmcgee

I used to have a lock with a magnetic key. Not sure how it worked, but only that specific "key" would unlock it.

Putting something like that on a fuel pump relay would make it pretty damned hard to steal.

Brian
Old 03-02-2004, 06:35 PM   #8
Blue Beard

357..........Beware of owner!!!
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 06:40 PM   #9
Bluegoose972

Some very good ideas.

I'm not so worried about the interior yet and don't plan on putting anything too fancy inside until I can keep it garaged.

I hadn't even thought of the electric fuel pump. That is a great idea! I'm sure working in conjunction with a alarm shop and putting the pump in a hard to get to location, that will work great!

Thanks guys! Feel safer already!

Rick
Bluegoose972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 08:49 PM   #10
bpmcgee

Hey, I just found something really cool!

It's called "KeyCounter" but that's not really a very accurate name. Basically, it's an encoded keyfob starter disable device!

The antenna is by the ignition switch, and if it detects a valid keyfob when you turn the key, you can start the car. Otherwise you can't!

This looks really cool because it doesn't require any remote controls or anything.

The page for it is HERE
Old 03-02-2004, 08:54 PM   #11
TheHeavyChevy

FYI..The club sucks, all the person would have to do is cut the steering wheel.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:04 PM   #12
vtblazer

Theft

Everbody thinks about the battery and gas...how about the spark? With only one wire going to an HEI, how hard could it be?
Put some sort of disconnect on the power wire to the coil.
No spark, no start. :p Just a thought...
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 12:08 AM   #13
MAC67
" SHOW ME"

i have a battery cutoff hidden on my blazer , plus my key will not start it , there is a panel with no less than 8 different switches , none are marked and only one will fire it , if you turn the key the only thing that happens is the break warning light on the dash lights uop so it makes a person think the battery doesnt have enought to kick it over , plus the bawl of a 130 pound bloodhound right beside it can be slightly intimidating , they dont know that the worse hes gonna do is slobber them to death , he just barks cause he thinks they have hotdogs in theyre pocket , but it is intimidating
MAC67 is offline   Reply With Quote