The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #26
jaros44sr

Re: Headers Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale99 View Post
I know 650 for headers wont work.

I went with vette manifolds and let them get rusty looking
^^^^^^^
Or you could do that...

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #27
dujobu

Yeah that's what I'm told… an added benefit it lowering under hood temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
Didnt know the price either, but im sure it would look cool in the engine compartment, maybe after my truck is done ill come back and do that. In the meantime ill just keep the rust at bay with my cheap coating

Wonder if the ceramic keeps engine bay temps. down?
dujobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #28
dujobu

Went with VHT Flameproof in flat silver. $8.99 from Autozone. I just can't spend the $270 + shipping that Jet Hot wants or the $425 the local guy wants. Seems insanely expensive to me.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #29
dujobu

So the manifolds I got came with 3 studs each. I assume these are for the flange on the exhaust pipe end? If so, what do you use to attach the manifolds to the motor? I went to Napa and asked for exhaust manifold bolts and they looked in their computer and said they're not even listed in their system.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #30
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dujobu View Post
So the manifolds I got came with 3 studs each. I assume these are for the flange on the exhaust pipe end? If so, what do you use to attach the manifolds to the motor? I went to Napa and asked for exhaust manifold bolts and they looked in their computer and said they're not even listed in their system.
I bought my bolts and locks from corvette america, sorta local to us. When you buy the flange gasket, get the one with a metal insert, they last longer. Also, use extra large brass nuts and anti seize on the studs to mount up your downpipe. While youre buying parts, dont foget the flange that pulls your downpipe up to the exhaust manifold

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 08-11-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #31
Dale99

I went to the parts store and got the dorman studs that come with the large brass nuts. I think that did every position but 1??
Dale99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #32
Tony454

I'm thinking about getting speedways new polished stainless manifolds. BIG $$$ but would look nice and won't have the header leaking and cracking problems.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tony454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #33
dujobu

So ran into yet another problem. I got my manifolds from an auto parts store, painted them up and all, and then had a look in the LMC catalog and it says the ones with the curved end where it hooks up to the down pipe (which is what I got) is for 2WD. And since I painted them I can't return them. Does anyone have any experience with this and can tell me if the curved exit on the manifold will cause clearance issues with the 4WD components?

2 steps forward, 10 steps back.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #34
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dujobu View Post
So ran into yet another problem. I got my manifolds from an auto parts store, painted them up and all, and then had a look in the LMC catalog and it says the ones with the curved end where it hooks up to the down pipe (which is what I got) is for 2WD. And since I painted them I can't return them. Does anyone have any experience with this and can tell me if the curved exit on the manifold will cause clearance issues with the 4WD components?

2 steps forward, 10 steps back.
Dont know if they would work on a 4WD, but luckily you has access to one of the most comprehensive parts board in the world....hopefully you can make a deal with a 2 WD guy, seems like the best solution for a sticky situation

Ive looked at mine, and cant see anything in the way of clearance for the 2WD manifolds, youre not running a stick shift are you? Seems that the z bar might get in the way, but probably not, 2 WDs had column shift.

At least you dont have your exhaust system bent up, so you could have it bent to mate up with your system

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 08-12-2013 at 01:02 PM.