The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2003, 11:08 PM   #1
justplainjoe

4x4 conversion question

Has anyone converted a 67-72 pickup using a 73 truck for a donor. I know thats when the bodies changed but was there a big difference in the drive train?
justplainjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 05:59 AM   #2
LeRoy
Registered truck nut

It's been done and a guy on here has done it. Can't remember his login name but you should move this to the 67-72 message board where he usually roams
Old 12-02-2003, 12:35 AM   #3
chiphayes

ive done it twice ,both times i used blazer parts,one was a 85 the other was a 88,i just traded drivetrain.the first one took me a week,solid 7 days.the 2nd only about 4 days.when i sold the trucks i told the guys they used to be 2wd and they didnt believe me until i showed them,where i had bolted things together.one of them is still here in my hometown i see it almost everyday,and the guy has had no problems and thats been almost 4 years since i did that one.its not as bad as it sounds.
chiphayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 02:36 PM   #4
justplainjoe

chiphayes, If I took the spring hangers from the 73 should I bolt them or weld them to the 72? After the springs are installed would the attach points still be the same on the axle due to the different frame? Thanks for the info, Joe
justplainjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 07:51 PM   #5
chiphayes

if you hav etaken all of the suspension off of the 2wd,hold the spring hanger up to the frame,i bolted mine on with heavy grade boltsand when i was done ,i went back and welded the nuts to the bolts.i was suprised that there were alot of holes already in the frame,were the hangers go.wish i was closer i would help,would love to do it again.
chiphayes is offline   Reply With Quote