The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > Paint and Bodywork > Sheetmetal and Fab

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-12-2008, 10:13 AM   #1
Big J
Its lookin' like a Blazer!

How to turn a Truck door into a Blazer door

I'm not a professional and I'm sure most of you already know all this. This is for the few that don't. If anyone has any pointers or helpful comments, post up. Actually jamie72 showed me how to do this several years ago so I thank him for this tidbit of info.

Its a pretty easy thing to do. The hardest thing to do is make yourself cut up a set of nice truck doors, lol. You only need a few tools. I used a reciprocating saw, die grinder with a cut-off wheel, hand grinder, and a drill with a 1/8" bit. Don't forget the imortant safety stuff, gloves, safety glasses, etc. I started off by taking a close look and some measurements on my factory doors. Then marked the truck doors where I wanted to cut. The first cut I made was on the lower part of frame that goes around the door window. I used a fine tooth long metal blade in the reciprocating saw. I layed the blade flat across the slot where the window comes up and cut straight across to the outside of the door. The next cut is at the top just above the vent wing assembly. Using the reciprocating saw I laid the blade against the ventwing window channel and cut up towards the top of the door. With those two cuts you have the major part removed. The next cuts I used the cut-off wheel. Right above the ventwing there is a flat spot. I had to make two cuts on this part of the door. The first part I cut off is the edge sticking up to the outside of the door. I held the cut-off wheel upside down and basically level to the flat spot above the ventwing. Making a slight cut all the way across the surface I just let the wheel work with a back and forth movement and it left a nice level cut. The last cut is toward the inside of the door above the ventwing just opposite the previous cut. Its just a small wedge you have to cut out for the plastic cover to fit on top. Where the door breaks over at the top above the ventwing, measure back about 3/8" to a half inch on the side and mark it. If you look on the inside of the window channel you'll see kind of a upside down horseshoe. The cut is going to graze the outer part of the horseshoe on the inside door side.I used a marker to mark the metal above the horseshoe edge. I used the cut-off wheel to cut this wedge out of the top of the door and it worked great. I slid on the cap/cover and it fit perfectly. I used a 1/8" bit to drill the holes for the two screws to hold the cap on. So just after 4 cuts and two holes drilled I have a real nice Blazer door. I'm going to go a few steps further than the factory did. I noticed on the original doors that those cut seams at the top of the door had come apart. I plan on grinding the third cut down a little bit and using the mig to weld it up. I'll grind it down and after some primer and paint it'll be good to go.
If my descriptions of where to cut and how pay close attention to the pics, you'll see what I'm trying to describe.
Attached Images

My Build