The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-27-2009, 08:00 AM   #1
-Greg72

VintageAir for rear A/C?.... anything aftermarket??

Hey Folks,

I'm looking into retrofitting my '72 Burb (which has front and rear factory A/C) with an aftermarket system. I've heard plenty of good things about VintageAir and know that they make a front system that would work (same as the C10 pickup or Blazers, right?) but I'm wondering if anyone knows if they make an additional kit to re-use the rear A/C also?

A truck with an interior as HUGE as the Suburban could certainly use a second "zone" of A/C...I'm just wondering how difficult it's going to be to find (or make) a solution. Ideally, I'd like to preserve the original look of the rear A/C box on the ceiling and just swap in modern guts so that I don't have to keep paying for R12 recharges (which leak out almost immediately anyway).

My guess is that I'll have to swap out all the hoses and almost everything else...that doesn't really bother me, though I'm sure it's going to get spendy to do a complete front & rear solution.

Searching didn't reveal anything obvious, so if someone knows of a link or member who's already done this I'd appreciate hearing about it.

1972 K5 - 502BBC/4L80E/Magnum205/Mog-9s/5.26s/38" BFG KM2s

Find me on INSTAGRAM @MIGHTASWELLK5

'72 K5 - Greg's "Might As Well™" Build
-Greg72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:10 PM   #2
jimbug

Re: VintageAir for rear A/C?.... anything aftermarket??

yeah what he said!
jimbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:29 PM   #3
BADSAM
J'ville Junkman

I called Vintage Air a few years ago (maybe 8) with the same question and at that time they were willing to work with me and do a custom setup using the existing rear unit, I'm sure they would swap stuff out to make it al like new.

Just give them a call. You might be surprised.
57 Chevy 210 Wagon - 9 Passenger (Wife's project-working on floorpans)
73 Corvette (17 yr old daughter's: Another project - what's wrong with me?)
53 Willys M38
BADSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:26 PM   #4
whiteoak

Hot Rod Air in selma tx. makes a dual evaporator system they say will work in a 67-72 burb. hotrodair.com
whiteoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:31 PM   #5
capev86

for a/c.....i like the stock front vent setup and would install the factory parts before going with the vents under the dash. as for the rear....you all can have it. my dad's 87 has rear a/c and it has been the biggest limiting factor in putting big things in the back. if i was going to have rear ac, the ducting would all be tucked up above the headliner with flush mounted vents, not that bulky monstrosity. the 90's trucks had a much improved rear ac unit that doesn't take up as much room (its in the right side panel). air conditioning is nice even up here in new england in the summer time, but my 72 burb doesn't have it and it will stay that way for the foreseeable future.....many other more interesting mods to make (big sway bars, trailering equipment, etc).
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:00 PM   #6
haulnrat

I put in Classic Auto Air in my '72 burb. It is there sure fit kit. The kit came complete with correct brackets and pre-crimped hoses. I was very happy with the fit and ease of the install.

I drove out to Wendover, UT last August for S.C.T.A. Speedweek in Bonneville. It did pretty well, took the edge off any way. I need to insulate it better, I don't think you can have too much. I drive it year around so the heat and defrost was as important as the air. I did aquire a air/heat unit out of a cab we scrapped from work. I hope to fit it behind the right rear wheel well and duct it to where I want it. When I get around to installing it I will post some pictures.
haulnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:16 PM   #7
jmbstudios
Pickin' and a Grinin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by capev86 View Post
air conditioning is nice even up here in new england in the summer time, but my 72 burb doesn't have it and it will stay that way for the foreseeable future...........
A/C here in Arizona is a must. Although the A/C in my 72 has a leak and I haven't filled it in about 3 years. But when it gets to 120 I drive my other truck....
jmbstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:07 PM   #8
4oldcars

My 72 w/dual a/c is nothin but a headache. Never works. If your trashing your factory system, maybe you'd like to sell your STV valve? Let me know how you make out. I may want to install Vintage Air also also.

Driving:
1971 Jimmy w/68 Chev front clip, 1953 Bel Air 2 dr hdtp, 1996 Roadmaster wagon, 2000 Eldorado

The ones I let go:
1931 2 dr sedan, 1935 pick up, 1938 2 dr sedan, 1962 SS 454, 1963 409 wagon, 1970 short bed, 1972 short bed, 1972 sub, 1976 short bed, 1986 long bed, 03 short bed
4oldcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:51 AM   #9
Rokcrln

I will be doing dual AIR in my 72 Tahoe but it will sit in the rear quarters and not over head. I want to keep all the head room I can because my rear floor is raised 4" as it is. I feel just A/C blowing in from the sides behind the seat along with front A/C will do just fine. I have also thought about ducting one vent in the front center consul for the middle row seat. I called Vintage Air (1 yr. ago) and like mentioned above they were more than happy to work with me for a system. Their tech guy was a 67-72 nut as well and knew just what I was talking about. The pricing was not bad if I remember right but I have not bought anything yet it was more of a Q/A call.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:12 AM   #10
-Greg72

Thanks for the help and suggestions guys...

For the record, I did call VintageAir and spoke with a guy there named Roy. He suggested that I could buy the standard system for the front (74168-LCU-A) and then add one of their "Slimline" systems (about $300) to retrofit into the rear factory A/C compartment....

Not sure if that's going to be the cleanest way, but it does sound like I have options.....the more I think about it I also really like the idea of just trying to get air ducts back there instead of an entire second unit. I'd just have to test it to confirm that a front-only system would have enough capability to cool the entire truck. The 'Burb is definitely a BIG box of hot air in the summertime.

1972 K5 - 502BBC/4L80E/Magnum205/Mog-9s/5.26s/38" BFG KM2s

Find me on INSTAGRAM @MIGHTASWELLK5

'72 K5 - Greg's "Might As Well™" Build
-Greg72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:54 PM   #11
blazingcw

Just an FYI a evaporator core out ofan 1983 caprice will fit in the factory box on a truck, add the accumulator and you can switch to an orifice rather the expantion valve, it works!!! I've done it
2003 Tahoe "Wifes Daily Driver"
No four bangers or four letter words in my house
blazingcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:15 AM   #12
4x4Poet

The main issue would be having rear A/C unit hoses made to R134a standards. The original '72 R12 hoses were just spliced into the eng compartment hoses with a simple "T" and hose clamps. I expect R134's smaller molecules would require upgraded, R134a-capable hoses and fittings just like any aftermarket R134a system's eng compartment hoses. Same need for the rear hose connections.

The rest of the rear A/C unit should work with R134a given it's in good shape. I would have an A/C mechanic check if the original rear air unit is serviceable. Mainly if the evap is uncorroded and undamaged. It's easy to remove. You could then research your R134a connection needs at the rear unit.