The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2010, 12:27 AM   #1
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

'60 GMC 4x4 Long Fenderside

WOW, this got REALLY long, grab a cup of joe and sit back and get comfy! Sorry!!

This is my baby. Unfortunately, she is on hold while my step-daughter and I work on her truck. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=427093

While working on her truck, I keep thinking and planning on my truck. I purchased it from my best friend for $1000, which was what he paid for it, when he was in need of some cash. For the most part, it has just sat around for the last 9 years. I am torn about what direction to go with on the truck, so I thought I would put it out here, because you all are some of the most creative, amazingly talented people I have even seen. Below are my visions, feel free to make suggestions, give advice, whatever! Nothing is set in stone.

After my daughter is up and running, my son is only 1 1/2 years behind her, then our youngest 2 years after that, so I am pretty busy with that for a while. My wife has a list of "honey-do's" that is piling up too. I am hoping to squeeze in some wrenching on my truck here and there, but no guarantees. Dad usually comes last, as you all probably know. LOL

A little history on my truck. It was originally purchased by the city of McCall, Idaho as a plow truck. I have already cut off the MASSIVE plow brackets that were welded on the frame. They took off the Fenderside bed, and put some kind of round tube. (just guessing by the brackets I cut off under the bed) The city sold it to a guy that put a Chevy Wideside bed on it. My friend bought it from him. The coolest thing I know about my truck is that it is the #46 truck built in 1960. According to Jollys 6066 GMC site, there is only one VIN number lower than mine on there, but his is 3/4 ton.

Ok, on to what I am debating on. Either way, she is not going to be a trailer queen. If some thing needs hauled, it'll get hauled, bumps, bruises, no worries.

My main debate is that I currently have a numbers matching low VIN truck. Do I want to customize it much, or keep it (mostly) stock.

Option #1
It has the original 305a V6 in it. I was thinking about leaving this engine, updating it with some of Jollys performance ideas, and possibly replacing the transmission, with either an automatic, or some kind of 5 speed, to get the RPM's down, and the speed up. I don't remember for sure, but I think my friend had said that it has 4.11 posi gears.

Option #2
Remove the 305a, swap in 383 (already have the base), replace the trans with some thing for the high torque, and have fun!

I'm sure there are plenty of other variations, but the custom/stock question is the root of the debate.

Color scheme I keep thinking about is suede dark charcoal gray, with color matching wheels, trim, bumpers. Basically blacked out, but with the gray color instead of black, with small amounts of Harley Orange pinstriping.

Does anyone have a picture of a 4wd '60 or '61 long fenderside from the side. I have this one that I made using pictures of my cab, and the bed I have for it. I want to be able to print it out, so I can sketch ideas out on it. Even a 2wd would work, if I can modify it to a 4wd look. I can't seem to find one online from the side. Also if anyone has a picture of a 4wd fenderside directly from the back, I could use one of those as well.

SORRY for the incredibly long post!!!

Last edited by chevy_man5; 11-26-2012 at 11:04 AM.
chevy_man5 is offline   Reply With Quote