The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2018, 04:20 PM   #1
Trostan

New guy here!

Hey all! Just brought home a very rusty 64 gmc 920. It needs a pile of work, and being a Canadian truck, it apparently is pretty much identical to its American Chevy counterpart. Much less so to its American gmc brothers. So I’m going to be bugging a lot of people for info I’m sure!

Hopefully I can make some progress this summer! About the only thing in reasonable condition is the 283 in it and the 4spd tranny lol.
Name:  2474B3E4-5193-4ADB-B77F-CACF58824952.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  56.6 KB
Name:  9FA48074-E719-4B47-A266-C7FCAB11A7EC.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  44.9 KB
Trostan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:37 PM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: New guy here!

Great welcome aboard.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:06 PM   #3
1968 baby blue C10

Nice truck man! Welcome to the forum. The body looks like it's decently solid to me.
"Too many people have opinions on things they know nothing about. And the more ignorant they are, the more opinions they have." -Thomas Hildern
1968 baby blue C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:23 PM   #4
Trostan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968 baby blue C10 View Post
Nice truck man! Welcome to the forum. The body looks like it's decently solid to me.
I just only used good pictures lol, she’s a wreck in person lol. Someone did some very shoddy patch jobs 15 years ago or so. And lots of seriously deteriorated panels, but thanks!
Old 04-23-2018, 09:27 PM   #5
1968 baby blue C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trostan View Post
I just only used good pictures lol, she’s a wreck in person lol. Someone did some very shoddy patch jobs 15 years ago or so. And lots of seriously deteriorated panels, but thanks!
Well it could always be worse haha. You've got a pretty solid start anyways.
"Too many people have opinions on things they know nothing about. And the more ignorant they are, the more opinions they have." -Thomas Hildern
Old 04-23-2018, 09:31 PM   #6
Trostan

Yep! Hoping so anyways. I want to get the engine exposed and the box off to see what I’m really looking at. Haven’t actually seen the truck in over a week, starting to miss her lol!
Old 04-23-2018, 09:38 PM   #7
1968 baby blue C10

Quote:
Yep! Hoping so anyways. I want to get the engine exposed and the box off to see what I’m really looking at. Haven’t actually seen the truck in over a week, starting to miss her lol!
Yeah that will tell you for sure. These trucks came with a pretty dang good undercoating so you'll probably be good there. Plus if they have a slow oil leak you've got double protection haha There is literally a inch of crud caked on my transmission. I had to scrape it off to find the inspection hole haha. What kind of 4-speed is in her?
Old 04-23-2018, 09:51 PM   #8
Trostan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968 baby blue C10 View Post
Yeah that will tell you for sure. These trucks came with a pretty dang good undercoating so you'll probably be good there. Plus if they have a slow oil leak you've got double protection haha There is literally a inch of crud caked on my transmission. I had to scrape it off to find the inspection hole haha. What kind of 4-speed is in her?
Ha! Well I’m glad I’m not the only one with a built in oil coating device in their tranny! There’s quite a bit down there. I think the previous owner was concerned about the trailing arms falling apart though. There’s a pile of extra metal scraps welded on. And im not sure which model of 4spd manual it is, one that kinda works though lol. Reverse is on the left, can’t remember which model they said that was
Old 04-23-2018, 10:34 PM   #9
1968 baby blue C10

Quote:
Ha! Well I’m glad I’m not the only one with a built in oil coating device in their tranny! There’s quite a bit down there. I think the previous owner was concerned about the trailing arms falling apart though. There’s a pile of extra metal scraps welded on. And im not sure which model of 4spd manual it is, one that kinda works though lol. Reverse is on the left, can’t remember which model they said that was
Hey free undercoating right? haha
And yeah that's always interesting when someone starts goober welding stuff on. Still shouldn't be a big deal.
And my reverse is on the right. 68 was the first year of the SM465. I'd say yours is the previous Synchro-Mesh, I can't remember what its called either. These transmissions are tanks though, they say a 465 can handle upwards of 500-600 ft lbs of torque. And the two wheel drive models are stronger than the 4 wheel drive. Are your first and reverse non synchronized too?
Old 04-24-2018, 07:11 AM   #10
Trostan

I’m honestly trying to remember lol. And true, these transmissions definitely are robust. I guess it helps that they are so low geared. Did you get your transmission rebuilt at all when you were restoring your truck? Not really sure what I should do once I’ve got everything off of the frame lol
Old 04-24-2018, 07:33 AM   #11
1968 baby blue C10

Quote:
I’m honestly trying to remember lol. And true, these transmissions definitely are robust. I guess it helps that they are so low geared. Did you get your transmission rebuilt at all when you were restoring your truck? Not really sure what I should do once I’ve got everything off of the frame lol
Yes they are definitely low. With the 4.11 rear in mine it will take off in first with no gas and crawl around by itself at 500-600 rpm haha
And no, nothing on mine has every been rebuilt or restored. It only has 75,000 original miles on it.
Do you know how many miles are on yours? I know it can be hard to tell because it rolls over after 100,000. I would say at least open it up and inspect everything, probably change the synchronizers if they look worn, rebuild kits are pretty cheap though. And would do other wear and tear parts like throw out bearing and possibly clutch after you inspect it. Others on here might be able to give you better advice, I’ve yet to rebuild a manual myself.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:06 AM   #12
Trostan

Well tearing the tranny apart a bit will definitely be a learning experience for me lol. It’s pretty loose but it’s hard to say how bad it is, my only other experience was a brand new Mazda that was standard, so no comparison lol
The odometer says 51,000km, hard to say what’s wear and what’s age lol
Old 04-24-2018, 08:13 AM   #13
1968 baby blue C10

Quote:
Well tearing the tranny apart a bit will definitely be a learning experience for me lol. It’s pretty loose but it’s hard to say how bad it is, my only other experience was a brand new Mazda that was standard, so no comparison lol
The odometer says 51,000km, hard to say what’s wear and what’s age lol
I kind of envy you the experience. I'm sure I'll be doing it someday though. They're supposed to be super simple transmissions. Usually one sign of wear on these transmissions is it falling out of third gear going down the road.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:55 PM   #14
Trostan

I’m hoping to get to test that out soon, and I wouldn’t be too jealous! But I’ll make sure to document it and put it up here! I’m hoping that they are simple lol
Old 04-24-2018, 11:17 PM   #15
1968 baby blue C10

Cool, yeah keep us posted for sure.