The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2014, 11:49 AM   #51
swamp rat

Re: Out of the Ditch = The Rebuild Begins ('72 GMC)

How is the truck doing Gary?

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:21 PM   #52
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Thanks for the bump 'rat. I'm in "frame paint jail" right now. It's taking a little longer than I expected, but have been assured it's coming along.

I'll hopefully have an update soon with a pic of a new frame sitting in my driveway.

This weekend, going to tear the carb off and go through it to get it ready for storage. Drain the gas tank, and remove it since I'm going to put a tank under the bed..

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:00 PM   #53
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Got a pic of the frame before it goes in to prep for paint. Gettin' closer!

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:33 PM   #54
leftybass209

Awesome! That frame came out really straight, looks like it was never wrecked Nice to have an abundance of these trucks around to get parts from. Best of luck with the paint!
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:52 PM   #55
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

It is nice there is still a decent amount of used parts available for these rigs. Thanks mang! Funny how now that my truck is apart in a bazillion pieces... I'm rethinking my build already...

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-31-2014, 06:42 PM   #56
davepl

Well, now you've got a hobby! Good luck!

On the subject of shop owners, if you get to the point you need mechanical work, check out rpmdyno.com (Preston Automotive) here towards Seattle. Not exactly local from Whidbey, but close enough.

They do only classic and musclecar and customs, and they're honest and friendly. And the owner has restored a couple of his own 67-72 so he knows them well enough.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:33 PM   #57
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

A little slow on the roll here... I got my frame about a week or more ago. Turned out exceptional! The cat did a bang up job, on the prep and paint.

With it being the summer, and camping/boating and all the other summer stuff... finding time to get to it has been hard. I don't want to rush it since I have a few things I want to do to the truck before it's back on the road.

I do need to cut the rust out of the rockers and floor and replace with patch panels. Would you cats suggest I transfer the cab to the new frame first before I tackle that? Just in case the old bent frame is wonky enough to screw up my panel alignments?

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-08-2014, 03:14 PM   #58
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Forgot the pic... lol...

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-08-2014, 05:19 PM   #59
swamp rat

A lot of people are just removing the cab altogether and making something to put it on, a crate or blocks of wood ect. Or even rolling it on its firewall or back of cab but i don't know how they would be protecting the cab when this is done. Some have gone to the extent of making a metal framework that uses the stock cab mount locations to bolt it too, the framework allows you to ether have it upright or roll it on the back or front depending design without having the cab touch the floor.

Just as important take some scrap metal and weld bracing across the door opening so when you cut and remove the rockers the front and rear of the cab don't separate or spring apart making the door opening too wide, also a brace from side to side to keep the cab corners from moving..

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 07-08-2014, 08:32 PM   #60
Hawghauler

I would transfer to the new frame first. Mostly because if the cab was tweeked with the old frame, you'll know about it by seeing the difference on the new straight frame. Then after you're done with the install (wether you have to untweek it or not), you'll be braced by the frame so you shouldn't have any movement. Glad to hear everything turned out good.

1967 c10 Longbed (Hawghauler/Icy weather transport)
2003 BMW K1200GT (Rain bike)
2007 Softail Deuce (Sun bike)
2009 Ultra Classic Electra Glide (Everything else bike)
Hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:23 PM   #61
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Wow... bumping a year old thread. Hard to believe it's been almost a year since the hot rod went for a ride in the ditch.

So... life happens. Busy summer last year. Getting our little house prepared all fall and winter long to try and sell very soon so we can move into a bigger place. The truck has been torn down part way and forgotten since last May. Only remembered when I have to trip around it to get to things out in my tiny garage. But... times they are a changin'.

Lots has been happening. The highs and lows of a project that came to a screeching halt (literally) and back shelved as life revolved around us. Almost selling it "as is" and taking a huge loss in the process. Twice. I have to give credit where credit is due... to my wife Angie and my best friend Matt. With those 2 keeping the fires ever so lightly lit... they kept hope where I was hopeless. They talked me away from the ledge as I had all but given up. As so many of you know the exact feeling as a project just seems overwhelming. But... I weathered the storm and am now starting back at getting this thing on the road. To do tasks I have been meaning to do, like tackle all the rust, move the gas tank under the bed, and lower the truck with a 4"/6" drop.

There is a lot of work ahead. I am still readying our house to sell as well. Then I will have to move this project to new digs in the near future. But I accept the challenge.

I have been absent from the board for quite a spell as I lost the desire for my truck. Cruising the board only made it worse for me. But that changed as well. I'm back and participating and have a new found joy in my truck and my truck friends.

Anyhoo... here it sits. Just as I left it back in May of last year. Notice the spark plugs not in their holes and the uncovered exhaust ports? Yeah... me too. Stupid thing to do over a damp PNW winter. But, it was a mistake I made out of haste and really not caring anymore. Will it cost me? We'll see. I squirted some 30wt in the holes and let it set over night. The engine turns easy by hand... so all should be okay.

Glad to be back. Ol' "Creeping Death" will roll again.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-11-2015, 02:31 PM   #62
Coley

Smile Re: Out of the Ditch = The Rebuild Begins ('72 GMC)

Glad to see you are still in there and swingin' at this project. I was wondering how that was coming along after the 'event' last year.
As for the project part of it....well think of it this way.....1 year from now (maybe 6 months) what it will look like or drive like if it is simply taken on in small increments every week or every few days.
Try to not to focus on the minute by minute progress...nothing moves much under those circumstances and if viewed that way its often a downer (ask me how I know...I'm renovating my basement...lol).
Think bigger, slightly more distant future and look back. It already looks waayyy ahead of what it was last year at this time.
All Good, Good Luck..and keep at 'er.
Coley.
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:41 PM   #63
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Glad to hear you are going to try and finish it up. It can be a daunting task but you will be glad you did in the long run. Good luck with it.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:21 PM   #64
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Thanks you guys.

So I tore off the old seat cover that has been on the seat since I bought the truck. Figured there would be houndstooth cloth panels in the original seat. But to my surprise there is a scroll pattern. Is this original?

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-11-2015, 04:29 PM   #65
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Another pic of the scroll pattern in the vinyl that is between the cloth panels. Looks original to me. But I've never seen the cloth with a "scroll" pattern like this.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-11-2015, 04:30 PM   #66
Coley

Smile Re: Out of the Ditch = The Rebuild Begins ('72 GMC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
Thanks you guys.

So I tore off the old seat cover that has been on the seat since I bought the truck. Figured there would be houndstooth cloth panels in the original seat. But to my surprise there is a scroll pattern. Is this original?

Gary
I'm pretty sure that's original...and apart from needing a good cleaning it looks to be in pretty good shape. I'd take that out of the truck and work on giving it several really good shampoo/cleaning treatments. Hard to find those seats with that fabric these days....certainly in good condition.
Coley

OOPS...quick update I didn't take a look at the driver's side which looks like it could use a little work.
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:38 PM   #67
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

LOL! Yeah... the drivers side is completely shot. I know that houndstooth upholstery is available, but not sure if this pattern is.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-11-2015, 05:15 PM   #68
cericd

Yep, that's the original "Custom" trim level seat cover. The cloth material and correct scroll pattern are available from SMS Auto Fabrics.

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:27 PM   #69
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Chris, thanks a ton! I just sent them an email with attached pics to see what matches.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-11-2015, 05:37 PM   #70
cericd

Hey Gary, no problem. I did the same thing a while back they mailed me an envelope with fabric samples and prices. There are a few threads on the forum where people have recreated the original cover using SMS materials. Certainly not the cheapest endeavor. My biggest concern is that every one of these original cloth/vinyl seats that I have seen has had the same type of splitting wear in the cloth sections (mostly the driver's side). It makes me feel like that material is too delicate for normal use. I do dig how original it looks though. I'd actually like to find a place that repops the original base model vinyl seat but no one does.

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:37 PM   #71
leftybass209

Nice to see the progress, looks like you're getting a lot accomplished. Best of luck with the house sale and the rest of the truck!
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:45 AM   #72
swamp rat

Welcome back! so the cab and bed are still on the bent frame correct? Still have that nice roller stored away. I'm glad for you that your wife and best friend talked you into not selling. Now get at it!

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 02-12-2015, 09:32 AM   #73
Lee H

Welcome back, sometimes a break is a good.......

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:16 PM   #74
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cericd View Post
Hey Gary, no problem. I did the same thing a while back they mailed me an envelope with fabric samples and prices. There are a few threads on the forum where people have recreated the original cover using SMS materials. Certainly not the cheapest endeavor. My biggest concern is that every one of these original cloth/vinyl seats that I have seen has had the same type of splitting wear in the cloth sections (mostly the driver's side). It makes me feel like that material is too delicate for normal use. I do dig how original it looks though. I'd actually like to find a place that repops the original base model vinyl seat but no one does.
Chris, SMS is sending me a couple of cloth patterns to see what matches up with what I have. Yesterday I found out there is a local upholstery shop here that does fantastic work. A friend of mine is restoring a 1964 Bonneville and he had this local guy reupholster his seats. Very nice work! So I'm going to check with him too to see if he has availability to the cloth as well. If not, I might just order some from SMS and then have the local guy redo the seat. Thanks again for the lead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
Nice to see the progress, looks like you're getting a lot accomplished. Best of luck with the house sale and the rest of the truck!
Thanks lefty! The house has been a monkey on my back for well over a year. Wrecking the truck when I did was the worst possible timing. But things are rolling along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Welcome back! so the cab and bed are still on the bent frame correct? Still have that nice roller stored away. I'm glad for you that your wife and best friend talked you into not selling. Now get at it!
Thanks Rat! Yeah... the cab and bed are still on the bent frame. Hoping to get the frames switched out soon. Today I have a buddy coming over to help with getting the seat, gas tank, steering wheel and brake booster/MC off of the cab. Then this weekend I'll strip the doors off. Pulling the engine and transmission next week. Then after that I will make preparation with a few buddies to help move the cab and bed to the new frame.

I am glad they kept me thinking straight too. I was totally dejected and wanted to wash my hands of the whole deal. Boy am I glad I still have this truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
Welcome back, sometimes a break is a good.......
Thanks Lee... I got a lot accomplished in the time the truck was "forgotten". But now it's moving from the back burner to one of the side burners. After we move... it will be on the front burner.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-12-2015, 01:46 PM   #75
flashed

I remember when this happened and had forgotten about it until you came back ,welcome back to the madness .I look forward to hearing about you driving it again after the reconstruction ,it will be worth it .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote