The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-09-2019, 02:18 PM   #15
MARTINSR

Re: Body Filler and Skim Coat for My Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
I wouldn’t leave the lacquer but just because lacquer thiner will take it off don’t mean much when it will remove ppg DP90 epoxy its $500 a gallon lol
I haven't tried DP90 in years but generally any 2k product is going to be resiliant to lacquer thinner where it would take a LOT more to even get any color on the rag. Where as lacquer primer will WIPE off with a rag soaked with lacquer thinner.

And certainly a urethane like a clear LAUGHS at lacquer thinner. I rub off "paint transfers" all the time with thinner with ZERO damage to the clear.

So let's make this perfectly clear, the epoxy primer is recommended by MANY auto manufacturers to be applied over bare metal prior to bonding, to bare metal prior to installing a urethane set window that IS part of the "Structure" of the cars safety, to bare aluminum to apply filler over it, epoxy primer is NO EVEN CLOSE to lacquer primer which WILL wipe off with a thinner soaked rag.

I am not attacking your point on this as there is truth to it that lacquer thinner will soften some epoxy primers. But I just wanted to make clear to anyone else reading this that there is a BIG difference between lacquer primers and epoxy primers.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote