The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-27-2015, 04:37 PM   #1
clemdaddy

need new radios critique

checked other threads on the subject of aftermarket radios that fit existing uncut dash. there seems to be 2 available. Custom Auto Sound and Retrosound, I have heard mixed reviews and would be interested to know what you think. Both companies may be the same manufacture as they appear similar but not sure.

want to know how long you've had one? which one?
how does it sound?
any problems or glitches?
what speakers did you use?

thanks for the input...
clemdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:41 PM   #2
65sub

Re: need new radios critique

I have the Custom Auto Sound USA-630 radio and the Undercover II speakers. The sound is clear but my motor is loud. The radio sometimes has trouble reading the iPod. Also check what iPods are compatible , I'm using an older version but some newer ones may not work.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=655167
65sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:26 PM   #3
Hugh in NC

I have the Retrosound Zuma. Had it for several months now. No problems. My dash had been enlarged so I still had to use a universal mounting face. Sounds good. I have only used the radio features, no usb or ipod yet.

I used 6 inch surface mount speakers on the kick panels.

I put these in as a replacement for the dash speaker (from Classic Parts)

Hugh
Hugh in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:40 AM   #4
clemdaddy

thanks guys... good info.
a buddy is looking also and i need 2 units so with 3 on the line, i'm gonna wait for a few more reviews before we spring for them. they are pricey little systems.
leaning towards the retrosound model 2 with chrome face. i do like the twin speaker setup under dash in the original location. someone makes a powered sub woofer that fits under the seat also...

anyway, waiting for more comments...

thanks
Old 04-28-2015, 08:03 AM   #5
Hugh in NC

I bought the Retrosound Zuma from jegs for $199 and free shipping. I had to look on the Retrosound web site to get the correct part number for the 1963 look knobs and then call and tell the jegs guy (you may not be able to find your knobs on the jegs site). I think the final costs was about $230 ish. Radio shipped direct from Retrosound.

Good luck,
Hugh
Hugh in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:32 AM   #6
corvettejim1968

I had the Custom Auto Sound first. picked up noise from a running engine im sure it can be filtered out. 2nd problem the display would go out in cold weather and i had to push the upper left corner to get the display to work. 3rd problem once in a long while it would not read the I-Pod.

Retro Sound 2
sounded better with no noise plus it has some more features. no other issues. it did cost more but I thought money well spent.

system breakdown
AudioQuest speaker wire
Monster Cable power and ground wires
Xsos RCA interconnects
all wires soldered with 4% silver solder
over 30 lbs of Fat Mat Rat Trap intalled throughout cab
Monolithic Pa-2400Q 60wx4 channel amp
2 Monolithic 2000M 240wx1 channel amps
2 Monolithic Class A-50x1 channel amps
AlumaPro 15 farad cap with large and small relays
Stinger 80 amp fuse
AudioControl Epicenter bass restoration
AudioControl 24xs crossover
Rainbow Audio SL 100 Installer 4in coaxial mids with tweeters built-in
Focal PC 690 6x9 coaxial mid-woofer with tweeters built-in
Focal Tc 90 1in dome tweeters
Rockford Fosgate Prime R2 DVC 10in woofer with custom under seat enclosure
Retro Sound head unit with aux AudioQuest I-Pod cable.

i will put up pics later if you want
https://coolc10.com/
corvettejim1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:48 AM   #7
1963c-10

I have the custom auto sound 630 also and have been pleased with it. Just running a stock speaker though. Which I'd like to upgrade to some larger speakers. Have been happy with the radio, but as stated above....could use a filter as I can pick up the alternator sometimes through it.

Still looking for a stock speaker mount for under the dash too......
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer

Last edited by 1963c-10; 04-29-2015 at 08:15 AM.
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:42 AM   #8
63burban
Chevy addict

I have a Secret Audio in my 56 Chevy and my Suburban, I have radio delete panels in both vehicles and the radio mounted under the dash out of site. I pretty much use my Ipod all the time. The control and Ipod hookup are in the glove box on the 56. On the Suburban the control and Ipod hook up are in a console sitting on the seat.
I try to use GM 6x9 Speakers, I like the sound. The Suburban has two in the doors and two in the sides behind the rear seat.
I sometimes supply Ipod music with my 56 at outdoor parties in the summer. Sounds good and people can't figure out where the radio is.
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:37 PM   #9
clemdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh in NC View Post
I bought the Retrosound Zuma from jegs for $199 and free shipping. I had to look on the Retrosound web site to get the correct part number for the 1963 look knobs and then call and tell the jegs guy (you may not be able to find your knobs on the jegs site). I think the final costs was about $230 ish. Radio shipped direct from Retrosound.

Good luck,
Hugh
one of the ones i want is also for a 63 so its good to know that there are knob options... thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvettejim1968 View Post
I had the Custom Auto Sound first. picked up noise from a running engine im sure it can be filtered out. 2nd problem the display would go out in cold weather and i had to push the upper left corner to get the display to work. 3rd problem once in a long while it would not read the I-Pod.

Retro Sound 2
sounded better with no noise plus it has some more features. no other issues. it did cost more but I thought money well spent.

system breakdown
AudioQuest speaker wire
Monster Cable power and ground wires
Xsos RCA interconnects
all wires soldered with 4% silver solder
over 30 lbs of Fat Mat Rat Trap intalled throughout cab
Monolithic Pa-2400Q 60wx4 channel amp
2 Monolithic 2000M 240wx1 channel amps
2 Monolithic Class A-50x1 channel amps
AlumaPro 15 farad cap with large and small relays
Stinger 80 amp fuse
AudioControl Epicenter bass restoration
AudioControl 24xs crossover
Rainbow Audio SL 100 Installer 4in coaxial mids with tweeters built-in
Focal PC 690 6x9 coaxial mid-woofer with tweeters built-in
Focal Tc 90 1in dome tweeters
Rockford Fosgate Prime R2 DVC 10in woofer with custom under seat enclosure
Retro Sound head unit with aux AudioQuest I-Pod cable.

i will put up pics later if you want
holy crap jim, you're not messing around dude. and yes please show some pics. I'm liking the Retrosound model 2C, i think the C is for chrome... thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963c-10 View Post
I have the custom auto sound 630 also and have been pleased with it. Just running a stock speaker though. Which I'd like to upgrade to some larger speakers. Have been happy with the radio, but as stated above....could use a filter as I can pick up the alternator sometimes through it.

Still looking for a stock speaker mount for under the dash too......
yeah, I'll need that speaker mount also. i think its part of a factory speaker and can be adapted. stay tuned, hopefully we can get some insight on quality sounding speakers without cutting doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63burban View Post
I have a Secret Audio in my 56 Chevy and my Suburban, I have radio delete panels in both vehicles and the radio mounted under the dash out of site. I pretty much use my Ipod all the time. The control and Ipod hookup are in the glove box on the 56. On the Suburban the control and Ipod hook up are in a console sitting on the seat.
I try to use GM 6x9 Speakers, I like the sound. The Suburban has two in the doors and two in the sides behind the rear seat.
I sometimes supply Ipod music with my 56 at outdoor parties in the summer. Sounds good and people can't figure out where the radio is.
i wanted to go stealth on the speakers and use factory radio location but i like what you've done with yours... and thanks.

any more suggestions? bring'em...
Old 04-28-2015, 03:19 PM   #10
1963c-10

Another note....on the custom auto sound radio I have. I was able to use my original radio knobs on the new radio, but the two adjusters that go behind the original knobs would not work. I used the two that came with the radio and then installed my originals over top of them. I'll see if I have a pic before I blew the cab apart for paint. I haven't reinstalled the radio yet as I need to swap the wiper motor and would just have to remove the radio again.

Found a few pics of when I did my clock install a few years back....and a pic of the factory radio to show the adjusters behind the knobs. Eventually I'd like to have my original radio converted to FM.

Correction.....I have the model 230 radio
Attached Images

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer

Last edited by 1963c-10; 04-29-2015 at 08:15 AM.
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:38 PM   #11
Jimal

I went in a completely different direction with my truck. Instead of an OEM radio or something retro modern, I picked up a new in box mid 70's vintage Kraco 8-track head unit, which I hooked up to a set of modern 3-way 6x9's mounted in the holes the P.O. cut into the doors. A Kraco cassette adapter with a Bluetooth cassette allows for streaming from my iPhone, as well as hand-free calling.

Plus it just looks right in my truck.
Jimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:46 PM   #12
Cooper197

I've set up a few of my dad's trucks with Retrosound head units.
They seem to be a quality product and have a bunch of nice features. He uses the USB and Bluetooth on a daily basis and other than the fact that the truck is loud, the bluetooth works great.

Biggest complaints are that the digital display makes it look modern, and that the controls when it comes to settings and such can be a little bit confusing since none of the buttons are labeled and seem to serve multiple functions. That said, once it's set up, which just takes some reading in the manual, it's really easy to go back and forth between sources and such.

Obviously sound wise, an amplifier makes a huge difference. On my dad's '66 we did a 500w amplifier with top of the line Infinity speakers in the doors (were already cut) and it sounds amazing. His '49 is pretty similar, but the sound isn't quite as good due to speaker placement trying to keep them hidden. Still though, sounds pretty darn good for being in a 66 year old truck!

Edit:
We used the Retrosound Model 2 in chrome on both of the Chevy's and his '77 F-150.
Cooper197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:59 PM   #13
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Van Halen II on 8 track!! That rocks!!

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:15 PM   #14
Southcity

Adding another option to the mix, it would require the following:

1. You still have your original radio in the dash, working or not and want to keep it that way
2. You plan to primarily use your phone or iPod via usb or bluetooth

I installed a small 2 channel bluetooth amp under the front bench seat, kick panels with speaker pods and mini speakers up under the dash, then play all my music via #2 above and retain an all original look on the dash. It's well hidden and easy to remove and return interior to it's original glory. There is flexibility in this setup to go moderate or outrageous with sound and price. I self installed (easy to do) a moderate system with total cost coming to roughly $800.00.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:51 PM   #15
pimpston65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimal View Post

I went in a completely different direction with my truck. Instead of an OEM radio or something retro modern, I picked up a new in box mid 70's vintage Kraco 8-track head unit, which I hooked up to a set of modern 3-way 6x9's mounted in the holes the P.O. cut into the doors. A Kraco cassette adapter with a Bluetooth cassette allows for streaming from my iPhone, as well as hand-free calling.

Plus it just looks right in my truck.
Van halen!!!, dude that "ROCKS"
pimpston65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:54 PM   #16
LVPhotos

My buddies shop has had good results from both. Call for more details.1-702-664-2102 or
http://www.dcsoundnv.com/
LVPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:22 AM   #17
WOLFMANmike

i have a 65 C10 with the stock bench seat i too really want pics and more info on your system especially the Sub woofer enclosure .. i am a man who really enjoys his music .. and am missing my bass in my music lol ... i dont have the problem of wanting to keep my dash uncut as the PO butchered mine and badly where the stereo goes he cut to wide of a hole . so the moron then goes up to the ash tray ... and cuts in a hole for a stereo there >.< so i have a good head unit in it but need a sub and other ideas so this would be a huge help
WOLFMANmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:10 AM   #18
corvettejim1968

so I took an original set of knobs and installed set screws and then I modified the backing knobs to work also to give it a more factory look. no holes were drilled everything is 3M double sided tape. when the seat is installed you see nothing. the whole system ran me about $5,000.00

Old 04-29-2015, 08:29 AM   #19
corvettejim1968

by the way the old woofer box is for sale at $40. it fits under the passenger seat. I custom built a slightly larger one. so I no longer need the old one.

Last edited by corvettejim1968; 04-29-2015 at 02:43 PM. Reason: add
Old 04-29-2015, 08:48 AM   #20
clemdaddy

wow jim... you got great setup. I bet exhaust and road noise are of little concern. The upgrade to better under dash speakers is a good idea to do. When googling Custom Auto Sound i found the powered sub unit for under-seat but its nothing like you built. They also have small mid-high speakers that look like air ducts or old microphones that mount to the bottom edge of the dash. They are visible but don't look too bad, probably not good on the knee knocker trucks though.

i prefer not to cut the doors for speakers since they are uncut now. And I was thinking about the possibility of flush mounting a 10" sub in the floor under the seat. Where yours is located but dropped into the floor. Then build a box under the floor between the frame rail and driveshaft, just a thought.

I really like what you've done.

ya gotta love that 8-track setup with eddie van halen, so cool.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:23 AM   #21
Jimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemdaddy View Post
ya gotta love that 8-track setup with eddie van halen, so cool.
Hee hee hee. Originally I was going to disassemble Van Halen II and install the bluetooth components into it, but for now I will use the Kraco cassette adapter I also have.

As far as the speakers go, I wouldn't have cut the holes myself, but they were there so I'm using them. If I ever get around to fixing/replacing the doors, I'll move the speakers somewhere else. I'm not a big sound system fan, but with the gas tank moved to the back on my truck there seems to be room to put something behind the seat.
Jimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:35 PM   #22
WOLFMANmike

how high is the sub box as in inches ? and does it fit perfect under the seat ? also did you make the box or can one be bought ?
thanks again .. and i bet your truck sounds great
Old 04-29-2015, 02:40 PM   #23
corvettejim1968

the box is 6 1/2 X 11/ 3/4 X 13 i bought it then i lined it with Fat Mat. it fits tight but it does fit under pass side.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:42 PM   #24
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvettejim1968 View Post
the box is 6 1/2 X 11/ 3/4 X 13 i bought it then i lined it with Fat Mat. it fits tight but it does fit under pass side.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-29-2015, 03:45 PM   #25
WOLFMANmike

Sweet where did you find this box at ? And how much was your cost on it ? Is fat mat what you stuck all over your truck ? Is it just as good as dynomat or better ?
Posted via Mobile Device