The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2018, 10:16 AM   #1
RDrancher

New 2 Me Burb

Well lookie what I drug home. It's an '88 V10 (still a K10 in my mind). It's been sitting for about three years since the engine either a cracked head or blew a head gasket. We'll pull the heads today, but I'm betting it's a cracked vortec. The purchase came with a spare engine that the PO pulled from his buddies rolled truck. It's supposed to be okay, but we shall see after we pull the heads.
Attached Images

Last edited by RDrancher; 09-09-2018 at 03:29 PM.
RDrancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:58 AM   #2
RDrancher

Re: New 2 Me Burb

The PO is the go-to guy in his area out in the boonies, and had actually owned this Suburban 4 times before selling to me. The last owner was the local police chief who's wife drove the rig most of time. It hadn't been registered in 14 years! I guess that's one of the perks

My son blasted every nook and cranny he could get to. I'd really like to use this engine if I can. I will check #'s today on both engines to make sure I don't have a 305 on my hands.
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2018, 02:24 PM   #3
SBTork
Garage wrench

Looks like an awesome start and to be in really good condition! What's the plans for it?

90 V1500 GMC Suburban 350/700R4/NP241.....
01 Saturn SL1 stock DD.....
SBTork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 03:15 PM   #4
RDrancher

Thanks Adam. The exterior looks pretty good and the interior from the back of the front seat rearward. The headliner is great, and the back and jump seats will clean up easy, but the buckets are pretty sad. Worse than that is the carpet. It has more oil and grease stains on and ground into it than a living room floor in a 1970's biker rental apartment

First thing is to get it running. We're going to try to yank the oil and water mixer today or tomorrow to take a look at it. Unfortunately, the replacement engine I got in the deal is a 305, so it's going on CL today.

Future plans are for a 4" lift and 35's, I'll be looking for a semi floater 9.5" 14 bolt for the rear and setting it up with a locker. That'll keep it 6-lug so I can keep the rally wheels.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:51 AM   #5
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Nice score...

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:02 AM   #6
rideair

Though not running 35's, the rally wheels are just a classic look on a single color 4x4 Suburban of that era and why I decided to stay with the same.
Attached Images

rideair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:03 AM   #7
RDrancher

Nice Burb rideair.

I think this little engine has p o t e n t i a l...for a boat anchor
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2018, 10:20 AM   #8
RDrancher

And just to prove that you're never too old learn something new...I thought that center bolt valve covers meant vortec heads. Nope. The TBI series heads from '87-'96 were something else altogether and the truck engines didn't even get the roller cam until '97. I had never had any experience with a small block Chevy engine built after 1985 until now, and I just plain didn't know this important info. To top it off...even though it's possible to run the GM TBI setup with vortec heads, it's way expensive and much too complicated for this old dude. So it looks like I'll be going with an L31 with a carb and saving up for a Holley Sniper or something to that effect in the future.

And from the interior - Emergency supplies and an awful taste in music.
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2018, 07:18 AM   #9
LT7A

Cool burb! Keep on updating, it's fun to see. You know she's missing that Cher tape. Do I have this right -- the PO didn't register this because it was the Police Chief's and nobody's going to pull over his wife?!?
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:15 AM   #10
RDrancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Cool burb! Keep on updating, it's fun to see. You know she's missing that Cher tape. Do I have this right -- the PO didn't register this because it was the Police Chief's and nobody's going to pull over his wife?!?
That's the story I got. Gotta love small towns. When the chief gave the rig back to the guy I bought it from, they couldn't find the title. After pestering him for awhile, the chief finally had to break down and deal with the state for a new one. While cleaning the interior I found the original title in an envelope, tucked under the console. We pulled two 5-gallon buckets of trash from the front seat, floor and console, so it's no wonder they couldn't find it. Hey, but now I have a spare can of tuna in the shop...SCORE!
Old 09-09-2018, 03:33 PM   #11
RDrancher

I posted this over on the 4x4 forum but I need an answer and maybe someone will see it here. Yes...I believe I'm going to the dark side...LS.

I'm picking up an LQ4 with a trans tomorrow and have the choice for either a 2WD or 4WD 4L80e. I've been searching and can't find a straight answer as to what is involved in adapting either trans to my '88 NP208.

Which trans should I get for the easiest and most economical swap?

It sounds like I'll need a 32 spline output shaft and an electrical speedo, but what else? I need a list...I love lists

If it's too much of a hassle ($) I will just rebuild my present 700r4.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:00 AM   #12
SBTork
Garage wrench

Awesome plan for an LS, that'll make this rig the perfect driver!

As far as the 4L80E, I've looked into this and don't know enough to solve the issue but I can possibly add to the confusion, lol! I'm doing an 4.8 LS swap on my '83 K5 and was looking into a 4L80E and got some mixed info too and I decided to stick with a 4L60E. That and because mine will be a driver/occasional wheeler so I don't need the benefits of the 4L80E, even though I like the idea of having an overbuilt transmission. Anyways, I emailed Advance Adapters about this such situation and here's the reply I got, maybe it will help....
"Adam, Thanks for the inquiry. The 4l80e will bolt up to the NP208. The spline count on the NP208 has to be 32 spline. If you are replacing a 700r4, you will have to change the input shaft. Th400 and SM465 transmissions had the correct 32 spline count. We do not manufacture the NP208 input shafts. You will also need to make sure the rear sensor in the transmission has the reluctor gear. The 1997 & newer 4WD 4L80E transmissions have a rear sensor provision; however, the reluctor ring in the transmission is left out since they ran it out of the transfer case."

So if you get a '97 and up 4L80E it will have the provision for the reluctor ring in the transmission, but it will have to be added. It sounds like that along with changing the input shaft on the NP208 to a 32 spline unit should be enough to be ok, but maybe someone that's done it on here can shed some more light on it too.

Last edited by SBTork; 09-10-2018 at 11:01 AM. Reason: forgot things
Old 09-10-2018, 01:33 PM   #13
RDrancher

Thanks for the info. But, I can't make myself go forward with the whole new fangled engine idea. I hate computers, wires, and all the associated sensors and gadgets. I'm ordering a new L31.

I had to step back and think why I like the old stuff...it's simple. I ran the hardest trails in the US in a stretched wheelbase FJ40, from sea level to 12,000 ft with a simple SBC, HEI and quadrajet. Not the best mileage, not the best power over 8000 ft, but completely and totally reliable. I'm going back to that with a much better set of heads and a roller cam.
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2018, 01:39 PM   #14
RDrancher

I guess we'll see if the 700r4 is up to the task. If not, I can get a 4L80e from the LS guy anytime. He always has the stuff. I did already purchase an adapter with the correct foot length to fit the 80 to the np208 used.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:04 PM   #15
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Love this truck. The 700r4 will be fine if it's rebuilt by a knowledgeable guy. What they say is by 1987 most of the issues with the trans had been sorted out. I don't recall what they were but I think one of them was a better pump. It'll be fine with the motor you're putting in there.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:21 PM   #16
SBTork
Garage wrench

Right on, I can totally understand the simplicity factor. I think you'll really like the L31 and it will work perfect for you.

On a side note, I have a 5.3 in my 85 C-10 Suburban that I've been running hard for 3 years now and I've not had an inkling of 1 issue with it since making the swap. It's been the single best thing/upgrade i've ever done to a vehicle. Mileage is easily double the old 350/700r4 combo it had and it feels at least twice as powerful too. It was a very simple/straight forward swap since I researched everything in depth before the swap was made. Computers/EFI can be intimidating but these are about as simple and straight forward as it gets. So if you do decide one day to LS swap something, go for it. But I think the L31 you have planned will work out great and be very reliable also.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:51 PM   #17
RDrancher

I do not believe in happenstance, but I do believe that good things happen to those that wait upon the Lord. Truth is, I don't make many important decisions without praying about it, sometimes for a long time, and this whole engine deal is just another one of them. Now I couldn't pin it down, but I didn't feel comfortable about pulling the trigger on the L31 from Jegs, even though they price matched ebay for $50 off. So this morning I'm doing a search in the engine forum on the L31 and came upon a thread with a link to Radley's deal. Clicked on it...hmmm $1848.99 WITH a Visa card. That's just too good of a deal to pass up, so I click buy now and a $100 discount is applied! Now that's pretty dang cool. The discount made it easier for me to justify getting the pricey Edelbrock spread/square bore manifold over the Speedmaster since I want the option to run either. Here's the L31 link https://www.ebay.com/itm/301567296304
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2018, 02:56 PM   #18
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDrancher View Post
Nice Burb rideair.

I think this little engine has p o t e n t i a l...for a boat anchor
Looks like it already been underwater Nice buy on the engine, I also haven't been convinced old school is obsolete, only times I've been left stranded was in a new model vehicle. Anything man has made will malfunction sometime or another.

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:05 PM   #19
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Very nice new to you burb! They sure aren't that nice up here. Nice score on the engine too. An extra $100 off always helps.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:11 PM   #20
RDrancher

The L31 crate motor showed up today after being delayed a bit by the hurricane. Radley's was top notch with communication as was their shipper Estes. I also saw a big box from Jegs on top of my toolbox...so the intake, air cleaner and other assorted goodies got here too.
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2018, 01:58 PM   #21
smokehouse

I have been on the fence with my 78 burb that i just bought myself between ls and vortec swap. It just seems cheaper and better to go the vortec route you get a gm motor with warranty for under 2K with no fancy adapters or anything crazy to hook up. 2k for a ls motor with 200k miles and a 30 day warranty from the junkyard is not going to cut it and then you still have to go through it to make it road worthy again before you put it in your truck.
I'll be coming back to see how you finished your build.
smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:26 PM   #22
rideair

RDrancher,

Did it ship from Fredericksburg, Virginia or dropped shipped from another location? F-burg, VA is just a few minutes down the road from me, could maybe save a few more $$ on my replacement by picking it up direct, when I replace mine down the road.

Enjoy,
rideair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:37 AM   #23
RDrancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
RDrancher,

Did it ship from Fredericksburg, Virginia or dropped shipped from another location? F-burg, VA is just a few minutes down the road from me, could maybe save a few more $$ on my replacement by picking it up direct, when I replace mine down the road.

Enjoy,
Yep, came out of Fredericksburg. As another bonus, the warranty info contained a sheet stating...Send a pic of the completed install and we'll send you an additional $25 gift card. I like these folks.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:47 PM   #24
RDrancher

So I haven't gotten much work done on the new project with all of the rain we've had. Since our business is 100% outdoors, every day dry enough to work has been a scramble. That, and the fact that my shop still has a dirt floor shared by horse stalls pretty much rules out working on stuff during rainy days...for me anyway. I have however been collecting some goodies. I found an '86 CUCV M1008 for sale cheap about 3 hours north of here. Who can resist 1 ton running gear with 4.56's and a Detroit locker in the rear? I know I can't! At some point the 6.2 was removed and a 350 dropped in it's place. The engine has a blown head gasket, but there's headers and an Edelbrock carb and Torker hiding under the rusty air cleaner worth salvaging. I'll be robbing the HEI for my build. The guy I bought it from had some cool projects going on including this sweet LS powered moredoor.
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2018, 05:52 PM   #25
RDrancher

Packages from Jegs...
Attached Images