The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #1
cblum

1992 auto to manual swap - wiring question

I have a 92 chevy pickup that Im going to be converting to manual trans mission. I have collected a some of a manual harness (almost complete but cut), a 92 5 speed ecm, 92 5 speed trans, pedal assembly and so on.

While trying to repair the manual harness, I noticed that it is not that different that the automatic harness in my truck.

The three things I notice are the neutral safe switch moves to the clutch pedal assembly, the backup switch is on the trans, and the harness has the 700r4 plug.

Both ecms even have the same service number (different 4 letter codes of course).

Has anyone on here that has done a manual trans swap also used the autmatic harness? Are the only differences the three things I mentioned above or are there more?

I would rather modify my automatic harness than rewire my whole truck.

Thanks, Cory
Old 02-21-2012, 11:35 PM   #2
derek2011

Re: 1992 auto to manual swap - wiring question

Id try swapping the 5 speed ecm in, rewire the neutral safety switch to the switch on the clutch peddle(really optional as the old 60's trucks didn't even have them)just make sure your pressing in the clutch before you crank the engine wire up the backup lights(optional) IMO the important thing is making sure the VSS is connected so your speedo works and the ECM knows how fast you are going. Make sure you wire in the cruise control cancel switch so it cuts off when you press the clutch. The cruise cancel is the two wire connector on the brake light switch. I believe that it is normally a closed circuit, when you press the brake, it opens the circuit and cancels the cruise. You could either wire it in series so that pressing either the brake or clutch, the circuit is opened. Alternatively, you could replace the auto cruise harness with a 5-speed cruise harness.

Last edited by derek2011; 02-22-2012 at 12:00 AM.
derek2011 is offline   Reply With Quote