The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
Longstep70

Anyone run a side-exit exhaust with a step side bed?

I've seen a handful of trucks with a side-exit exhaust run under the steps exiting right before the rear wheel. Is anyone on here doing the same? I'm interested in clearance issues with the rear leafs or if anyone has run one with a 4-link and how it all fit together.
-Andy
Longstep70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:00 PM   #2
youngrodder

Re: Anyone run a side-exit exhaust with a step side bed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longstep70 View Post
I've seen a handful of trucks with a side-exit exhaust run under the steps exiting right before the rear wheel. Is anyone on here doing the same? I'm interested in clearance issues with the rear leafs or if anyone has run one with a 4-link and how it all fit together.
-Andy
I am running my exhaust out just before the rear fenders. I am not using the stock frame but it is a 4 link. The last running board braces forces you to move the exit point of the tail pipe toward the front more then I would have liked.

I used stainless Z-28 rectangle exhaust tips and I notched the running boards so that I could tuck the tip up tight so the tip follows the same thickness as the running board. Since mine is only a few inches from the running boards touching in the back when aired out I could not just hang the tips below the running boards.

Marc
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:50 PM   #3
JELLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngrodder View Post
I am running my exhaust out just before the rear fenders. I am not using the stock frame but it is a 4 link. The last running board braces forces you to move the exit point of the tail pipe toward the front more then I would have liked.

I used stainless Z-28 rectangle exhaust tips and I notched the running boards so that I could tuck the tip up tight so the tip follows the same thickness as the running board. Since mine is only a few inches from the running boards touching in the back when aired out I could not just hang the tips below the running boards.

Marc
I was going to do the same on my truck to have more room for the air tanks, compressors, and gas tank without the mufflers taking room. Where do your pipes go outside the framerails?

Last edited by JELLY; 02-24-2009 at 02:39 AM.
JELLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:21 AM   #4
eventytoo

Quote:

Marc
Do you have any pictures of this?
eventytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:02 AM   #5
youngrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JELLY View Post
I was going to do the same on my truck to have more room for the air tanks, compressors, and gas tank without the mufflers taking room. Where do your pipes go outside the framerails?
Jelly-- Mine will drop below the frame rail and exit just infront of the last running board brace. Again I am not using the stock frame, so it might be different then yours. I hid (2) 3-gallon storage tanks, (1) compressor and my valves under the bed. The floor of my bed was also raised a few inches to provide enough room for a notch and hinding of air ride STUFF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventytoo View Post
Do you have any pictures of this?
My truck is blown apart at the moment getting ready for paint. I could only take a picture of the notch in the running board with the exhaust tip temperarily set in place.

Thanks
Marc
Old 02-24-2009, 09:54 AM   #6
b00sted

Check your local laws for this.. I know here in GA we have a law requiring the exhaust to exit beyond the rear axle for passenger vehicles..

Or maybe it is a local ordinance.. With that said I am going to tuck my mufflers up within the lines of the frame rails and then have them turn down behind the rear fender at the rear... Going to be tight with me planning on laying frame but I think I can work that out..
Old 02-24-2009, 12:58 PM   #7
56chevy1300

My mechanic told me I can run my exhaust under my rear axle...does that make sense? Doesn't really to me but I'll wait and see.
56chevy1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:00 PM   #8
Longstep70

Quote:

Marc
This is what I had in mind for my 59. I figured i would keep the exhaust out of the back so I'll have less hassles with the gas tank and panhard bar and air stuff when I finally get around to deciding where everything will fit. What mufflers are you using?
Anyone have any pics?
Old 02-24-2009, 04:22 PM   #9
youngrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longstep70 View Post
This is what I had in mind for my 59. I figured i would keep the exhaust out of the back so I'll have less hassles with the gas tank and panhard bar and air stuff when I finally get around to deciding where everything will fit. What mufflers are you using?
Anyone have any pics?
No pics yet. As I mentioned my truck is blown apart at the moment for paint.
Because I am using a g-body frame. My frame and gas tank coupled with the fact that I am using air ride limits me from going all of the way out the back or side.

My exhaust system will be in 2.5" SS. I went with SS flowmaster I think 40 series. They are not suppose to be very loud.

I have some of the pipe bent but I need to have some help where it drops down from my headers.

Marc

Last edited by youngrodder; 02-24-2009 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:35 PM   #10
Longstep70

Its a little hard for me to do any more than just eyeball stuff since I ripped off the bed and rear leafs on my truck too but it seems that the tips should exit somewhere right around the place where the front spring hanger is located on the stock suspension. That's not far off the spot I'd likely be mounting the front of a 4 link setup so it looks like I'll probably be clear for running it out that way and not hanging up on the suspension. The stock '59 frame itself seems to offer plenty of room to fit the exhaust tubing in between the bottom of the rocker and step and the underside of the frame.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:42 PM   #11
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56chevy1300 View Post
My mechanic told me I can run my exhaust under my rear axle...does that make sense? Doesn't really to me but I'll wait and see.
You can, but I have always ran mine over the rear or dumped it in front of the axle. I don't like stuff hanging below the axles or even frame rails for that matter. Sounds like the mechanic doesn't want to mess with it.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:56 PM   #12
youngrodder

Post Re: Anyone run a side-exit exhaust with a step side bed?

==

Last edited by youngrodder; 02-24-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:20 PM   #13
56chevy1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
You can, but I have always ran mine over the rear or dumped it in front of the axle. I don't like stuff hanging below the axles or even frame rails for that matter. Sounds like the mechanic doesn't want to mess with it.
It was his suggestion as we talked about alternatives to running side exhaust or cutting a hole in the bed. I guess he's done this before with some lowrider cars and his own merc lead sled.
56chevy1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:34 PM   #14
1-ton of fun
polishing a turd

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00sted View Post
Check your local laws for this.. I know here in GA we have a law requiring the exhaust to exit beyond the rear axle for passenger vehicles..

Or maybe it is a local ordinance.. With that said I am going to tuck my mufflers up within the lines of the frame rails and then have them turn down behind the rear fender at the rear... Going to be tight with me planning on laying frame but I think I can work that out..
i am pretty sure that is just has to exit past the passenger compartment. my 2003 ford lightning had the stock exhaust exiting in front of the rear tire, and i didn't think they were not legal for use in GA.

i had a problem getting my mustang inspected with dumps in front of the axle, because it didn't go to the perimeter for the car away from the passenger compartment, that is probably what you are talking about, or something similar

53 buick special - straight 8 sled - blow through turbo
47 gmc - flatbed hot rod build
99 ford econoline e350 - 4x4 converted family roadtrip/overlanding rig AKA 'Monstervan' AKA 'Daddy-Van'
1-ton of fun is offline   Reply With Quote