The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2009, 10:49 AM   #26
JELLY

Re: clip question

From the way Marcs truck is sitting without lowered spindles, i dont think i'll need them. I probaly will get newer spindles and bearings though. My neighbor said i probaly can buy a knuckle assembly-spindle,bearings,and rotor pakage.

Houston-My steering box looks different than your and is smaller. Wonder why that is? The truck came with a stock core bracket and one cut to fit similar to yours.

Jeremy
JELLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:25 AM   #27
Houston54

The manual steering boxes are smaller or you could be running a 605 steering box. The box I am using has the quick ratio steering and is power.

If your box has a round center section it is a 605 which will work fine. I do not know if the pitman arm would need to change if you wanted to upgrade it.

You can get the spindles from most any salvage yard. Again the S-10 is the same spindle. The 1978 control arms do not have to be changed to accept the newer spindle.

Let us know if you can find a radiator that will fit without having to do the mods I had to. Make sure it can handle a V8. If you are running AC that will impact the cooling requirements also.
Houston54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:10 PM   #28
JELLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston54 View Post
The manual steering boxes are smaller or you could be running a 605 steering box. The box I am using has the quick ratio steering and is power.

If your box has a round center section it is a 605 which will work fine. I do not know if the pitman arm would need to change if you wanted to upgrade it.

You can get the spindles from most any salvage yard. Again the S-10 is the same spindle. The 1978 control arms do not have to be changed to accept the newer spindle.

Let us know if you can find a radiator that will fit without having to do the mods I had to. Make sure it can handle a V8. If you are running AC that will impact the cooling requirements also.
Must be a 605 box cause it is rounf in the center like you said and it's not manual.

Looks like i'll head to the salavage yard when i get to that point to get spindles. I still need to make sure the spindles are '78 and not '77. I read in another thread that they in fact do look the same but the '77 is smaller in height. I need to measure mine then get measurements off of a known year model to compare.

As for the radiator, it came with one that was laying in the custom bracket they made but it was not fastened in or hooked up to the motor. It looks like it came from another vehicle and doesn't look big enough, very thin. I do want to run A/C and it stays very hot here in the summertime.

I'm trying to work on one thing at a time to keep the clutter down so right now its the rolling chassis.

Thanks for the help!
JELLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:21 PM   #29
PDW HOTRODS

I am using the same front end and I made a wider core support, and modified the inner fender wells. I am using a crossflow radiator for a 1969 Camaro. It is short and wide so it clears the steering box fine, but it's not as wide as a full size car or truck radiator.
PDW HOTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote