The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2017, 09:00 PM   #1
GM man

87-91 sending unit - 72 fuel gauge

As the title suggests, I've installed an 87-91 tank & sending unit in my truck and now can't get the fuel gauge to move. Is there an Ohm difference between the two, maybe? And is there a way to make it work?

1972 GMC Jimmy 6.0/4L65
1972 Chevrolet long bed 1/2 ton
GM man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:27 PM   #2
ray_mcavoy

Re: 87-91 sending unit - 72 fuel gauge

Both year ranges (67-72 and 73-87/91) use the same Ohm range (0 to 90) on the sending units so you shouldn't have a compatibility issue there.

If the gauge stays on empty, you most likely have a short to ground somewhere in the sending unit wire. I would recommend checking it over carefully to see if there are any areas where the wire may have accidentally gotten pinched (such as between the tank & frame) or any spots where a sharp edge may have chafed the insulation and is now allowing the bare wire to touch the body or frame.

If the gauge stays pegged full (or over-full), that is usually an indication of an open circuit somewhere in the sending unit wire. In that case, you would want to be looking for a connector that got unplugged or a place where the wire is completely broken.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote