The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2017, 12:33 PM   #1
CountofMonteCarlo84

What Do You Guys Do For Alarms?

I'm wondering what you guys do for alarms with your old trucks. I guess the best thing may be a kill switch. I don't want anything that will have to interact with the door latches/door handles. Let me know.
CountofMonteCarlo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:59 PM   #2
gigamanx

Re: What Do You Guys Do For Alarms?

Personally, I was thinking of adding a kill switch under my air bags somewhere in the bed so when I park and lay it out, nobody can take it unless they can put air in the bags

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:45 PM   #3
vintovka

Kill switch with removable key cam work ok. Wired so alarm functions atill work.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:38 PM   #4
47 Fasttoys

Kill dog, kill! I would tell you but then I would have to kill you. Yes,. I do have a 2 layer system in place. This is only good to stop an armature, a pro will just drag it onto a roll back and it's bye, bye. That's where a tracking system comes into play. Remember 2 layer.
Mr. Bond, James Bond
Old 11-08-2017, 07:16 PM   #5
vintovka

Alarms are so sophisticated today. I remember Eddie Murphy making a joke about talking alarms in cars ;;

"fool, someone stole yo battry!!!"
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:37 PM   #6
capnduane

So the thief wants to steal my truck out of my driveway. He better have a bunch of tools. First he has to cut the cable/lock on my cover. Then he has to break a window, or do slim jims work on these old trucks? Or does he have the tools to open my door lock? Then the club, I know he can cut it with a hacksaw blade. But it takes time, and time kills a thief. Then he must defeat ignition switch, but guess what, no power. OK where is cut off switch? When he figures out the power problem, guess what, no power to coil! Another hidden switch to coil. By this time many minutes have gone by and mr crook is looking for another truck to steal. If he's got the juevonis to back into my driveway with a flatbed, it better have a good muffler or he will wake this old guy up. And Mr Smith and Wesson and I are grumpy when woken late at night!

Last edited by capnduane; 11-08-2017 at 09:43 PM.
capnduane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:32 PM   #7
Jesse Z
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnduane View Post
So the thief wants to steal my truck out of my driveway. He better have a bunch of tools. First he has to cut the cable/lock on my cover. Then he has to break a window, or do slim jims work on these old trucks? Or does he have the tools to open my door lock? Then the club, I know he can cut it with a hacksaw blade. But it takes time, and time kills a thief. Then he must defeat ignition switch, but guess what, no power. OK where is cut off switch? When he figures out the power problem, guess what, no power to coil! Another hidden switch to coil. By this time many minutes have gone by and mr crook is looking for another truck to steal. If he's got the juevonis to back into my driveway with a flatbed, it better have a good muffler or he will wake this old guy up. And Mr Smith and Wesson and I are grumpy when woken late at night!
I'm hip enough to alternative lifestyles to accept you sleeping with a couple of dudes, but man with all that anti-theft paraphernalia it must take you an hour just to start your own truck!

Jesse Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:41 AM   #8
capnduane

Ha Ha! I'm in no hurry, I'm retired!
Old 11-09-2017, 01:11 AM   #9
mr48chev

That might keep the joy riding amateur from taking it but if a pro auto thief has it on his list it will get snagged with a repo rig cover and all. Then moved far enough that it can be tucked into an enclosed trailer and gone.

I'm not a fan of bagged rigs and think the laid out on the ground look is one of the silliest fads that car folks ever had stuck on them but laid out with an empty pressure tank and a hidden kill switch for the compressor would keep all but the the most creative amateurs from having success. They might get in, get around the ignition and get it started but if it won't raise up it isn't going to drive anywhere.

I still like a locating system and that could be as simple as your scratched up slightly outdated smart phone that has GPS locating on it being run on the family plan for pocket change a month and hidden in the car with it's own auxillary battery hooked up to the charging system through a diode so it doesn't feed back to the electrical system if the rigs main battery is disconnected and narc it's self out.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:31 PM   #10
abig84

ive always installed a kill switch which disables something electrical or fuel related so it still cranks over. my thinking is the thief will just think it doesnt run or is just a old pos and give up. my 86 i just disabled the coil on a kill switch so if they eventually find the kill switch the truck will probably be so flooded it wont start anyways.
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:41 PM   #11
_Ogre

remove door handles
Attached Images

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:44 PM   #12
CountofMonteCarlo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Fasttoys View Post
Kill dog, kill! I would tell you but then I would have to kill you. Yes,. I do have a 2 layer system in place. This is only good to stop an armature, a pro will just drag it onto a roll back and it's bye, bye. That's where a tracking system comes into play. Remember 2 layer.
Mr. Bond, James Bond
Alright, it seems like my line of thinking was decent. I like these ideas, but I also understand the rollback issue. Thanks guys. Now if only I could get this sort of response with my tire question in the 67-72 forum. Still struggling with that one.
CountofMonteCarlo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:42 PM   #13
xaircav

I leave the doors unlocked and the windows down so they can see this.
Attached Images

xaircav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:38 AM   #14
roger55

roger55 is offline   Reply With Quote