The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2018, 09:32 PM   #1
NC_John

Dakota Digital HDX with the OBDII BIM module

Anybody else running these components with their LS swap? The HDX gauges with the bim module (pulling all data from the OBDII)......

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:03 AM   #2
davepl

Re: Dakota Digital HDX with the OBDII BIM module

No, but they sound interesting if they're CAN based, as then they might work with things like the Holley injection as well, since it supplies a CAN bus signal.

They just snoop on the CAN wire pair and report standard PIDs like oil pressure and O2 and so on?
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:10 AM   #3
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_John View Post
Anybody else running these components with their LS swap? The HDX gauges with the bim module (pulling all data from the OBDII)......
I have and they work great. The only problem that I have run into is that if you need to plug in your scanner, you have to unplug the gauges.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:18 AM   #4
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

Yepp, can't use up tuners and gauges... took a while to figure out that one. But simply using a plug for the gauges instead of hard wiring solved the issue.
Clint

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:00 PM   #5
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
I have and they work great. The only problem that I have run into is that if you need to plug in your scanner, you have to unplug the gauges.
OK Rob, here's my question for this setup.

I got my first HDX gauge set and it had a bad button - wouldn't go into setup mode. Sent it back to DD. They either fixed it or sent me another one. The note said "no problem found" but it works now so whatever.

During initial setup of this second one, through my ipad on bluetooth, it does not recognize the pcm. The BIM module diagnostics (lights and those codes it can flash) says that IT is communicating with the PCM fine and dandy but the cluster says it doesn't see it. Everything is hooked up the way it is supposed to be.

I am hoping (REALLY hoping) that the cluster did not see the PCM because the engine wasn't running. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me but I'm running on hope right now.

I can't start the engine to confirm this until I get a few more things plumbed up.

PCM is good- its got hours of testing and runs the engine fine. I just hope I don't have another cluster issue. I had to pay over $40 in shipping/insurance to send the first one back to DD which pissed me right off since it was bad from the start. If I have to send it back again I will not be a happy camper.

Any thoughts?

Old 06-06-2018, 01:22 PM   #6
Hart_Rod

Quote:
OK Rob, here's my question for this setup.

I got my first HDX gauge set and it had a bad button - wouldn't go into setup mode. Sent it back to DD. They either fixed it or sent me another one. The note said "no problem found" but it works now so whatever.

During initial setup of this second one, through my ipad on bluetooth, it does not recognize the pcm. The BIM module diagnostics (lights and those codes it can flash) says that IT is communicating with the PCM fine and dandy but the cluster says it doesn't see it. Everything is hooked up the way it is supposed to be.

I am hoping (REALLY hoping) that the cluster did not see the PCM because the engine wasn't running. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me but I'm running on hope right now.

I can't start the engine to confirm this until I get a few more things plumbed up.

PCM is good- its got hours of testing and runs the engine fine. I just hope I don't have another cluster issue. I had to pay over $40 in shipping/insurance to send the first one back to DD which pissed me right off since it was bad from the start. If I have to send it back again I will not be a happy camper.

Any thoughts?
Are you saying the BIM doesn't recognize the PCM? Did you update each gauge (oil, temp, speed, etc..) to get it's input from the BIM? Also, the cluster should see the PCM as long as the key is turned on.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:34 PM   #7
NC_John

Quote:
Are you saying the BIM doesn't recognize the PCM? Did you update each gauge (oil, temp, speed, etc..) to get it's input from the BIM? Also, the cluster should see the PCM as long as the key is turned on.
no, based on the troubleshooting you can do directly on the BIM module through the basic codes and LEDS, the BIM sees and is communicating with the PCM. Its the cluster that says it does not see a PCM when I try to set it up through the ipad app.

I can get gauge readings for voltage and fuel level, but of course, both of those are independent of the PCM. I don't see anything else, but with the engine not running, they would be all at zero anyway.

If I have to take this dash apart a third time.......

Old 06-06-2018, 01:37 PM   #8
Hart_Rod

Quote:
no, based on the troubleshooting you can do directly on the BIM module through the basic codes and LEDS, the BIM sees and is communicating with the PCM. Its the cluster that says it does not see a PCM when I try to set it up through the ipad app.

I can get gauge readings for voltage and fuel level, but of course, both of those are independent of the PCM. I don't see anything else, but with the engine not running, they would be all at zero anyway.

If I have to take this dash apart a third time.......
I would just use the gauge setup menu (not the IPAD, I think it's still Beta...). Try this, go to tachometer settings. Change the input source to BIM. See if that works.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:49 PM   #9
NC_John

Quote:
I would just use the gauge setup menu (not the IPAD, I think it's still Beta...). Try this, go to tachometer settings. Change the input source to BIM. See if that works.
Good idea. I'll try that this week and let you know what happens. I hadn't considered the app was the problem.

Old 06-06-2018, 01:56 PM   #10
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Good idea. I'll try that this week and let you know what happens. I hadn't considered the app was the problem.
It may not be the problem, but I had an issue with it when it first came out. Not that it will help you now but maybe it will someone else, I actually plugged the gauges up prior to installing them, just so I could test them.
Attached Images

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 06-06-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:03 PM   #11
NC_John

Quote:
It may not be the problem, but I had an issue with it when it first came out. Not that it will help you now but maybe it will someone else, I actually plugged the gauges up prior to installing them, just so I could test them.
You're obviously a smarter man than I am!

Old 06-06-2018, 03:11 PM   #12
Hart_Rod

Quote:
You're obviously a smarter man than I am!
Not really, I learned the hard way.........
Old 06-06-2018, 08:05 PM   #13
sprint_9

Quote:
Im running VHX with the module and for this reason above I thought about atleast running the VSS and tach direct to the engine harness so as not to lose them while tuning or troubleshooting.
sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:04 AM   #14
NC_John

Quote:
And that is not an issue exclusively with Dakota Digital stuff. All my fleet trucks at work (from pickups to class 8 trucks) have GPS units for tracking and remote diagnostics. The GPS is hooked up to the diagnostic port (OBDII or 9 pin). On some of the trucks I have to disconnect the GPS before I can hook up a scanner.

I guess its a network issue with the CANBUS communications. I had a similar issue here installing some new software to allow in-house programming of our commercial/pro motorola 2-way radios. The computer was getting confused as it recognized the radio as an additional network that was causing conflict with the LAN network (interwebs). Nothing worked until we unplugged the LAN. Took a while to figure that one out! I need to get my kids involved in this. I'm starting to feel like my Dad around this ever-changing tech.

Old 06-09-2018, 06:54 PM   #15
NC_John

Quote:
I got into the gauge cluster today, this time directly. I was able to see all inputs were set to BIM but when I went into the BIM section it didn't find it. "BIM not seen" might have been the message. I'll still wait and see what the gauges do when I am able to let the engine run for more than 20 seconds at a time (waiting on my radiator).

Old 06-10-2018, 11:10 AM   #16
Hart_Rod

Quote:
I got into the gauge cluster today, this time directly. I was able to see all inputs were set to BIM but when I went into the BIM section it didn't find it. "BIM not seen" might have been the message. I'll still wait and see what the gauges do when I am able to let the engine run for more than 20 seconds at a time (waiting on my radiator).
Have you connected a scanner to your OBD2 port to verify that i works OK? Also, you need to make sure the BIM is set to read the "J" protocol. It should work regardless if the engine is running or not as long as you turn the key on.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:28 PM   #17
NC_John

Quote:
Have you connected a scanner to your OBD2 port to verify that i works OK? Also, you need to make sure the BIM is set to read the "J" protocol. It should work regardless if the engine is running or not as long as you turn the key on.
My reader caught the pcm through the OBDII and read it without issue.

I may have something not completely plugged in. I'll have to poke around some under the dash and see if I can reach stuff without diassembly.

I'll pull out the BIM manual and see what else I can learn about it and make sure its set up properly.

Thanks

Old 06-10-2018, 04:13 PM   #18
NC_John

Quote:

I may have something not completely plugged in. I'll have to poke around some under the dash and see if I can readh stuff without diassembly.

I'll pull out the BIM manual and see what else I can learn about it and make sure its set up properly.

Thanks

Old 06-11-2018, 09:20 AM   #19
b16crx

Quote:
And that is not an issue exclusively with Dakota Digital stuff. All my fleet trucks at work (from pickups to class 8 trucks) have GPS units for tracking and remote diagnostics. The GPS is hooked up to the diagnostic port (OBDII or 9 pin). On some of the trucks I have to disconnect the GPS before I can hook up a scanner.

I guess its a network issue with the CANBUS communications. I had a similar issue here installing some new software to allow in-house programming of our commercial/pro motorola 2-way radios. The computer was getting confused as it recognized the radio as an additional network that was causing conflict with the LAN network (interwebs). Nothing worked until we unplugged the LAN. Took a while to figure that one out! I need to get my kids involved in this. I'm starting to feel like my Dad around this ever-changing tech.

Have you ever tried one of these Dual OBD2 adapters? I have the HDX gauges for my truck and I was going to give this a try when I get to that point.

https://www.amazon.com/iKKEGOL-Split...obd2+connector
b16crx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:27 AM   #20
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16crx View Post
Have you ever tried one of these Dual OBD2 adapters? I have the HDX gauges for my truck and I was going to give this a try when I get to that point.

https://www.amazon.com/iKKEGOL-Split...obd2+connector
Have tried this and it is very intermittent....
Old 06-19-2018, 08:39 AM   #21
Hart_Rod

Quote:

I may have something not completely plugged in. I'll have to poke around some under the dash and see if I can readh stuff without diassembly.

Thanks
Did you figure it out?
Old 06-19-2018, 06:32 PM   #22
NC_John

Quote:
Did you figure it out?
I suspect everything is fine - i should be able to run the engine for an extended period this weekend so I can see what my gauges do. I got a water temp reading in the 80's last time I messed with it which would have been the correct ambient temp.

I also think the message spooking me is not "no pcm found" but instead "no bim found." I'm probably good and will let you know when I confirm.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:15 PM   #23
NC_John

Yeah, I'm good. Ran the engine for a few minutes and the gauges are all working properly. I think it's looking for additional bim modules that aren't there.

Old 03-26-2019, 05:57 PM   #24
19SIKtySix

Question Re: Dakota Digital HDX with the OBDII BIM module

Hey all,

Just trying to confirm with those that are running this setup, are there issues with running a obd2 splitter?

My setup has been ordered and I was looking into getting a splitter to be able to keep gauges plugged in and scan, if needed.

Instagram: c_lo_garage

Check out my 1966 C10 project "El Viejito" here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=674614
19SIKtySix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:13 PM   #25
thehata1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19SIKtySix View Post
Hey all,

Just trying to confirm with those that are running this setup, are there issues with running a obd2 splitter?

My setup has been ordered and I was looking into getting a splitter to be able to keep gauges plugged in and scan, if needed.
Same boat. About to be wiring the dash. Would love to hear some feedback.
thehata1 is offline   Reply With Quote