The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-06-2018, 11:55 AM   #1
justjoef

Newbie could use some fuel system help

Hi Folks.... New kid on the block (at least on this site)

I'm hoping someone can help with the fuel tank sending unit for my truck. It's pouring rain today and I'm trying to order parts for repairs. Pretty much everything looks to be original and is rusted out. The tank and feed/return lines are already on order. Rather than crawl under the truck in the rain to trace the other line(s) I thought someone could definitively define the ports on the photo below. I'm thinking vent?, feed, return, and maybe charcoal canister? Thanks for any feedback.
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2018, 12:29 PM   #2
95 S_Trucker

Re: Newbie could use some fuel system help

From left to right, vent(attaches to fillerneck), fuel supply, fuel return, vent(goes to canister).

If you by a new sending unit, it will come with the steel lines visible in your picture. It would be a good time to put a new pump in too.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:29 PM   #3
abig84

from left to right The very big one is the fuel full obviously, next to the right is I think the vent that attaches to the filler neck, then pressure hose then return hose then vent hose

Maybe replace that entire tank also as it's looking pretty rough. I believe all the boxes are different sizes too so you can't mix them up, all most trucks are anyways
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:31 PM   #4
95 S_Trucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by abig84 View Post
from left to right The very big one is the fuel full obviously, next to the right is I think the vent that attaches to the filler neck, then pressure hose then return hose then vent hose

Maybe replace that entire tank also as it's looking pretty rough. I believe all the boxes are different sizes too so you can't mix them up, all most trucks are anyways
The op says he has a tank and lines on order.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:39 PM   #5
justjoef

Thanks for the responses! Given the truck is 21 years old and we're in New England, everything is rusted out. I'm not going to take chances on questionable parts and how long they might hold out. I'm into it now, so I'm just going to replace everything and be done with it, rather than have something let go in the middle of a blizzard. The help is very much appreciated!
Old 07-08-2018, 07:03 PM   #6
diveplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjoef View Post
Hi Folks.... New kid on the block (at least on this site)

I'm hoping someone can help with the fuel tank sending unit for my truck. It's pouring rain today and I'm trying to order parts for repairs. Pretty much everything looks to be original and is rusted out. The tank and feed/return lines are already on order. Rather than crawl under the truck in the rain to trace the other line(s) I thought someone could definitively define the ports on the photo below. I'm thinking vent?, feed, return, and maybe charcoal canister? Thanks for any feedback.
really is a poor design from chevy the tank, its a water pool trap and debris trap, also moving the fuel pump for easier access chevy should have considered.
diveplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:22 PM   #7
Mr_Rich

I had to do mine a number of years ago. Looking at pics date it was 4 1/2 years already. The parts are GM China. Seems replacement parts for our trucks aren't USA or Canada made anymore. They work and it keeps my truck on the road.
Attached Images

1997 K2500 Chev. EC 7.4L/ 4L80E
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 HD R/C
Mr_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote