The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2009, 11:02 PM   #1
aggieguy713

Power Steering Problems?..

Took the 70 for a short drive yesterday, noticed that while turning the wheel, it was making a grinding noise. so naturally i filled up the power steering fluid and went on my way. About a half hour later, i am on my way home, i notice the noise on the way home, i check the fluid and surely enough, the dang thing was bone dry. Today i checked the pump and the lines, they were both ok and tight with no leaks, question is now, where do i check?
Old 11-09-2009, 11:13 PM   #2
aggieguy713

Re: Power Steering Problems?..

ttt
Old 11-09-2009, 11:16 PM   #3
spatz

What I would do is fill the pump back up and start the vehicle, have somebody move the steering wheel back and forth and you can watch with a flashlight, it's probably leaking under pressure. Another way is to get a dye kit from y our automotive supplier and add the die, drive around for a couple of minutes and check it with a black light, it shound show under the black light where the leak is. good luck
spatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:18 PM   #4
aggieguy713

spatz, ill try that asap. is there a way it could be coming from the gearbox?
Old 11-09-2009, 11:32 PM   #5
rico7769
Hybrid67

Had a similar problem with ours. Turns out it was the bolt that goes into the back of the pump toward the bottom next to where the pressure hose goes in. Threads were worn and the bolt "fell" out. Check it for tension. We are running a 350sb out of a 77 chevy. Not sure if it helps but we chased the leak for a long time before we figured it out. The dye is a great idea too. Helps eliminate a lot of guessing. Check the frame under the drivers side between the rocker and tire. Thats where we followed ours back to the issue from. It was running down the frame after being blown by the fan from under the pump. Hope this helps!

All show.....no go
rico7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:38 PM   #6
aggieguy713

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico7769 View Post
Had a similar problem with ours. Turns out it was the bolt that goes into the back of the pump toward the bottom next to where the pressure hose goes in. Threads were worn and the bolt "fell" out. Check it for tension. We are running a 350sb out of a 77 chevy. Not sure if it helps but we chased the leak for a long time before we figured it out. The dye is a great idea too. Helps eliminate a lot of guessing. Check the frame under the drivers side between the rocker and tire. Thats where we followed ours back to the issue from. It was running down the frame after being blown by the fan from under the pump. Hope this helps!
That makes sense, ive been seeing alot of what looks like built up fluid on the cross member. I assume your talking about the bolt that goes through the bracket into the pump? maybe i misunderstood.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:45 PM   #7
aggieguy713

ttt
Old 11-09-2009, 11:48 PM   #8
rico7769
Hybrid67

Ours didn't go through a bracket but the engine was bought that way. Might be a difference in the setup you are running. The bracket bolts we have are in a triangular pattern on the front facing the motor. The other is a pivot bracket that is mounted to the side of the block by way of the first header bolt. This bolt was located on the back of the pump. Difficult to see it unless you look from the underside of the truck behind the tire inside of the frame. Kinda like looking toward the front of the truck. You should be able to tell the bolt by feel. The easiest thing to do is to stand facing the motor, reach under the pump and feel to the left of the pressure hose. The bolt has threads, then a "nut" and then threads. Looks kinda like this.

-----//------

Sorry so crude. Batteries are dead in my camera so no pics tonight. Also check the pump itself. (cont'd)

All show.....no go

Last edited by rico7769; 11-09-2009 at 11:49 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:52 PM   #9
spatz

It would be my guess, with the fluid build up on the crossmember, it's from the pump area. the gear box more than likely be the out put shaft seal but that would show up on the outside of the frame.
spatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:54 PM   #10
rico7769
Hybrid67

The first pump we had was shot. It built up pressure and then began to "drool" out of the front of the pump behind the pulley. The seal was shot inside the pump. Tried some lucas stop leak for power steering. Waste of money for me, but might work for you. The new pump was about $50. They all gotta go sometime. Luckily they aren't that expensive. Good luck with the project. I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow for you if that doesn't help out.

All show.....no go
Old 11-09-2009, 11:59 PM   #11
aggieguy713

That sounds similar to the same setup on the sb im running. Im leaning towards your seal suggestion, makes most sense so far. Pics would be greatly appericated . I will check behind the pulley for any visible fluid, then go from there. Thanks