The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2018, 08:15 AM   #1
hobo

Two questions: Brake pedal and inner fenders

Starting to dig into the 53 project I picked up. Looks like the previous owner(s) went with a firewall mount brake booster. What kinds of pedals is everyone using to mate up to this style of booster? I'm not sure what I would do with a stock pedal to drive a plunger into the cylinder.

And as for the inner fender wells, I'm either going to have to buy some from LMC/Brothers/Etc and cut them to fit (since this sits on an S10 chassis), or make my own. I don't have many sheet-metal tools around the garage so I'm a little less inclined to try making my own. Any secrets from those who have already been down this road?

Thanks everyone!

hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:13 AM   #2
e015475

Re: Two questions: Brake pedal and inner fenders

There are aftermarket sheet metal inner fenders for the AD truck - here's a pair on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/i/142433449704?chn=ps

With those header's wrapping around the steering shaft you'd have to modify some stock inner fenders quite a bit to get them to clear (that's what I did)

My truck uses stock pedals with a hydroboost under the floor, so I'll leave it to the S10 guys to comment on the firewall pedal options.
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:18 AM   #3
e015475

PS - you should put your location in your posts. Have a servicable driver's side inner fender I like to get out of my garage - free to a good home, but I'm too lazy to ship
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:19 AM   #4
jweb

Firewall mounted boosters use a hanging pedal and usually have a bracket like this:
https://www.performanceonline.com/19...booster-mount/

You need something to reinforce the firewall.
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:22 AM   #5
mr48chev

You definitely need to reinforce the firewall to run the hanging pedals. I'm amazed that that master cylinder/booster didn't have a pedal assembly with it. Now it is figuring out what will fit.

If you were here in Central Washington I would give you my hacked up inner fenderwells off my 48 that I cut on when I subframed it years ago and then put it back on a stock frame a few years later. No way you could hurt those trimming them to fit the S-10 chassis.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:36 PM   #6
dsraven

first things first. get the pedals and stuff around them all completed and then worry about the inner fenders. just keep in mind the general shape of the inner fenders when mounting etc.
after that, when ready for fenders, grab some stiff cardboard, like a fridge box or whatever, and see if you can shape it around the components you have in place. the nice thing about that is the cardboard isn't stretchable, like sheet metal isn't, so if you can make it from cardboard then you can make it from sheet metal. when done, if unsure, get a fridge or freezer door and see if you can fashion something from that. if it works, you may even stay with the "model" or take that to a sheet metal place and have them run a few edges through the break for nice clean bends.
something to think about when doing this is the extreme movement of the suspension. it will be harder to do with the springs in place but you should consider how much the suspension travels upwards. leave some extra room to compensate for that. roll the edge on the opening in the inner fender with a hammer and dolly. then, because the opening will be bigger than you probably would like to see under the hood, you could hang some reinforced rubber around the opening with some plastic autobody push pins so the rubber will cover the suspension parts and keep the splashes out of the engine compartment, but will also move out of the way when the control arms move over bumps etc.roll the inner fenders edges into the engine compartment side if you want the rubber on the wheel side of the panel and vice versa. that would keep it clean and look like it was made like that.
here are a few pics of what my inner fenders look like on the 57. it's a frame swap so many differences for sure, besides the year, but you can see that even though I used stock inner fenders the job could also have been done with some flat sheet metal. the opening for the suspension is large but will be rubbered up on the wheel side of the hole. I used a hammer and dolly around the hole after scribing a line at 1/4" in from the edge. if you have access to a bead roller the indentations for strength would be easy to roll in where you want them or simply tack on some 3/8" 16ga angle strips onto the wheel side of the sheet to add strength.

you may wanna look at the gmc envoy or chevy trailblazer pedal assy. it bolts through the firewall into the brake booster and has the brake pedal and also a flange for the drive by wire accell pedal mount. that could be modified to accept a different accel pedal I am sure, if that is what you are running. it is supported at the dash end as well and could be easily modified for your purpose I think. below is a link to a set for sale on ebay that has pics.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-Trail...-/252915236680
Attached Images

dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:22 PM   #7
hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb View Post
Firewall mounted boosters use a hanging pedal and usually have a bracket like this:
https://www.performanceonline.com/19...booster-mount/

You need something to reinforce the firewall.
That's the design I was looking at through some of the online vendors. Thanks!
Old 04-24-2018, 04:23 PM   #8
hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
first things first. get the pedals and stuff around them all completed and then worry about the inner fenders. just keep in mind the general shape of the inner fenders when mounting etc.
after that, when ready for fenders, grab some stiff cardboard, like a fridge box or whatever, and see if you can shape it around the components you have in place. the nice thing about that is the cardboard isn't stretchable, like sheet metal isn't, so if you can make it from cardboard then you can make it from sheet metal. when done, if unsure, get a fridge or freezer door and see if you can fashion something from that. if it works, you may even stay with the "model" or take that to a sheet metal place and have them run a few edges through the break for nice clean bends.
something to think about when doing this is the extreme movement of the suspension. it will be harder to do with the springs in place but you should consider how much the suspension travels upwards. leave some extra room to compensate for that. roll the edge on the opening in the inner fender with a hammer and dolly. then, because the opening will be bigger than you probably would like to see under the hood, you could hang some reinforced rubber around the opening with some plastic autobody push pins so the rubber will cover the suspension parts and keep the splashes out of the engine compartment, but will also move out of the way when the control arms move over bumps etc.roll the inner fenders edges into the engine compartment side if you want the rubber on the wheel side of the panel and vice versa. that would keep it clean and look like it was made like that.
here are a few pics of what my inner fenders look like on the 57. it's a frame swap so many differences for sure, besides the year, but you can see that even though I used stock inner fenders the job could also have been done with some flat sheet metal. the opening for the suspension is large but will be rubbered up on the wheel side of the hole. I used a hammer and dolly around the hole after scribing a line at 1/4" in from the edge. if you have access to a bead roller the indentations for strength would be easy to roll in where you want them or simply tack on some 3/8" 16ga angle strips onto the wheel side of the sheet to add strength.

you may wanna look at the gmc envoy or chevy trailblazer pedal assy. it bolts through the firewall into the brake booster and has the brake pedal and also a flange for the drive by wire accell pedal mount. that could be modified to accept a different accel pedal I am sure, if that is what you are running. it is supported at the dash end as well and could be easily modified for your purpose I think. below is a link to a set for sale on ebay that has pics.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-Trail...-/252915236680
Thanks for all the detail - good stuff!