The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2018, 10:07 PM   #1
1968_K20_4x4

1976 Canadian Military Truck

Hello All,

I am usually on the 67-72 side of the house as my truck is a 1968 K20... but I am stepping over to the dark side and looking for some Squarebody info. Specifically someone knowledgeable on the Canadian military trucks. Here is the situation:

I want to swap out my truck's original Dana 44 Closed Knuckle, Drum brake front axle for something with Open Knuckle and disk brakes. I have found a suitable axle, which is a Dana 44 out of a 1976 Canadian Military K20. The axle is complete, in good shape and matches my rear end gear ratio of 4.56. However, before I go and spend a bunch of money on this axle, I am concerned about parts availability. Are all the parts still available for these axles? Are they the same as the Dana 44 in the regular Chevy K20s? I looked up the BOM number in the Dana catalog I have and it lists a different part number for the Inner wheel bearing that is specific to this axle, and when I searched on line I couldn't find anything that matches. Does anyone know if this axle is good or should be avoided??

Thanks

Ohh uh, I didn't have time to fix everything...
1968_K20_4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote