The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-04-2017, 11:21 AM   #26
nikwho

Re: SBC to BBC swap question.... (Isearched first)

James, are you saying that Comp sends lifters that won't function with that cam, in the $900 cam kit, that comes with lifters? I'm not following.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:53 AM   #27
CanadianK20

I used a cross member I got from either Jegs or Summit specifically for a BBC(that's what happens when you take years to do a build, you forget a lot of things). It has to be cut and welded to suit where you decide to mount your engine. Made it fairly easy to mock things up where I wanted them being able to pick the mount height and distance back/forward. Solved tons of clearance issues and accessibility to the oil pan. Here's a few pics.
Attached Images

CanadianK20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:00 PM   #28
James the III

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikwho View Post
James, are you saying that Comp sends lifters that won't function with that cam, in the $900 cam kit, that comes with lifters? I'm not following.
There is a difference in function.. and last..
any of the "street solids.. " are very mild cams.. The point of a solid is because you've surpassed the hyd limits..
Those street solids are not at that level.. you can get a hyd roller just as mild/wild .. that rev to 7000+ rpm
Once you truly "need" a solid.. the lifters don't last.. and the reason they make the hippo lifters, etc.. and even them need to be checked and rebuilt..

Those street solids are like the thumper cams..
both are offered for those that think they want/need something..
The solid.. for those that just have to have one.. but it is a mild cam.. and have supporting staff that not last at a solids high rpm range for long.. normal valves, not killer springs,, steel retainers, and heavy but thin walled pushrods.. and stud mounted rockers without a girgle .. instead of the light valves, or titanium valves strong killer springs, titanium retainers, shaft rockers or at least stud rockers with a girdle , and chrome moly pushrods.. etc.. that a high rpm solid with any real wild lobes would REQUIRE.
The thumper for those that have to have that lope..
it's all about marketing.. nothing more..
When you get to a point of truly "needing" a solid .the street solid lifters will not last.. nor will much of the hardcore ones and why they have moved to bushing instead of roller bearings.. as the roller bearings don't last and the bushings last a little longer and don't end up all over the engine when they do start to fail..

Last edited by James the III; 04-04-2017 at 12:07 PM.
James the III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:54 PM   #29
nikwho

Well James, I understand what you're saying about solid cams that don't need to be. That makes perfect sense to me. Seems that the cam I'm after doesn't need to be a solid roller, but could pull off the same goals with a hydraulic roller. I am fully aware that 4" and longer stroke cranks will rev, but I don't think that nullifies a 3.76" stroke crank. 427's worked, and this 433" setup will easily meet my goals. I'm with you on not NEEDING a solid cam. Thinking of it from that perspective makes sense to me.

CanadianK20, thank you for the pictures of your crossmember. That's very helpful. I'll try these POL tubular mounts. If I don't like where the engine sits, I'll probably just built my own.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:04 PM   #30
James the III

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikwho View Post
Well James, I understand what you're saying about solid cams that don't need to be. That makes perfect sense to me. Seems that the cam I'm after doesn't need to be a solid roller, but could pull off the same goals with a hydraulic roller. I am fully aware that 4" and longer stroke cranks will rev, but I don't think that nullifies a 3.76" stroke crank. 427's worked, and this 433" setup will easily meet my goals. I'm with you on not NEEDING a solid cam. Thinking of it from that perspective makes sense to me.

CanadianK20, thank you for the pictures of your crossmember. That's very helpful. I'll try these POL tubular mounts. If I don't like where the engine sits, I'll probably just built my own.
And why I asked are you ok with having to pull the intake and keep an eye on the lifters, to keep checking the valve lash, and keep notes on what they are for every valve everytime to see if there is a trend .
Some don't want that much upkeep they want to drive/use it.
only you know what is best..
The guy with a solid roller since 86 that has not checked the lifters since is playing with fire.. They should've been rebuilt 20k miles ago..
Comp doesn't offer the rebuilding service because it's not needed.
James the III is offline   Reply With Quote