The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-29-2015, 02:15 PM   #26
Fitz
Account Suspended

Re: 1967 power steering gear box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Heartbeat View Post

Quote:
I always thought all 67 frames were flat in the steering box area.

They are.
WES
No, they are not. My 67 frame is dimpled for the steering box as can be clearly seen in the photo's below. Before you say the frame can't be a 67 with a dimple, the partial vin stamped on the upper side of the frame rail on the drivers side, just behind the steering gear matches the full VIN on the B pillar which decodes as a 1967 C10 six cylinder 1/2 ton built in the Atlanta assembly plant. My truck was #1294 of the first production run which means it was likely shipped in October or November of 1967.
Attached Images

Last edited by Fitz; 01-29-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:47 PM   #27
EARNHARDT#3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
No, they are not. My 67 frame is dimpled for the steering box as can be clearly seen in the photo's below. Before you say the frame can't be a 67 with a dimple, the partial vin stamped on the upper side of the frame rail on the drivers side, just behind the steering gear matches the full VIN on the B pillar which decodes as a 1967 C10 six cylinder 1/2 ton built in the Atlanta assembly plant. My truck was #1294 of the first production run which means it was likely shipped in October or November of 1967.
I don't see the dimple. Is see the outward "pads" that the box mounting bolts go through but not the inward dimple. You'd have to have a picture from a different angle to really see it well.
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:37 PM   #28
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARNHARDT#3 View Post
I don't see the dimple. Is see the outward "pads" that the box mounting bolts go through but not the inward dimple. You'd have to have a picture from a different angle to really see it well.
Construction of the truck was completed in 2006 and I am not going to tear down the front end just to make a point on a message board. The dimple is there.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:41 PM   #29
EARNHARDT#3

Quote:
Construction of the truck was completed in 2006 and I am not going to tear down the front end just to make a point on a message board. The dimple is there.
If it's there you can see it just looking in from above when the hood is open. But I'll take your word for it because you've got one sweet engine between those frame rails and I could care less about the steering box LOL

Last edited by EARNHARDT#3; 01-29-2015 at 03:54 PM.
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:09 PM   #30
Lou Boffa

Quote:
If it's there you can see it just looking in from above when the hood is open. But I'll take your word for it because you've got one sweet engine between those frame rails and I could care less about the steering box LOL
no kidding, damn that thing is tight.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:20 PM   #31
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
I could care less about the steering box LOL
You and me both! The truck will 'get with the program' with that engine and the only thing I care about steering is keeping the shiny side up and the truck in it's lane when I mash the loud pedal.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:54 AM   #32
Average Joe

Quote:
My 67 Burb was factory dimpled as well. I removed the original manual box and was pleasantly surprised.

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:33 PM   #33
poledust

Quote:

Hey, Fitz I was wondering what year truck the box you have came from or refrenced it from or supplier you got it from Or did it come on the truck? Just asking cause I got one from an 85 or 87 and the box hits on the body support and on the frame between the mounting holes were the dimple is or should be. I just had my frame powder coated and don't want to mess with welders and cutting. My truck is a 1967 c10 second owner.
Attached Images

Last edited by poledust; 10-21-2017 at 09:36 PM. Reason: added year of truck
poledust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:39 PM   #34
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

LOL... 2 to 3 year old thread and Fitz has had a suspended account for awhile now.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:31 PM   #35
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

If no one has pointed it out that is a not a true 1967 frame.None of the early 1967 crames had bumps in the frame for the box of that dent in the frame you have a 1968 and new farm if you had a 1967 frame you have a Power assist with a manual gear box
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:39 PM   #36
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
My 67 Burb was factory dimpled as well. I removed the original manual box and was pleasantly surprised.

You have a late 1967 frame Remember June or July is where they stop waking the last year frame then they make the newer year.Just like OBD1 an OBD2 when it comes to smog if you have a truck that is made in 1995 But it was made after June or July it makes it a OBD2 .So now you have to find out production date its matters a LOT.Just like the 1964 mustang they made is 5 short months.The collectors look at production date.That will show you if you have a early 1968 truck.Dose your Vin match the one on the frame
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:47 PM   #37
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugster67 View Post
IS THE K-10 FRAME DIFFERENT FROM THE C-10 FRAME ? Because my k-10 67 frame dont have no dimple and the power steering gear box bolts right up, maybe im going crazy???
Yes. I tried putting a P/S Gear box on my '67 K/10 Suburban. Had big time problems with the power gear box ripping itself loose, throwing nuts, breaking 1/2'' bolts, leaking and sliding up and down the springs. Steering geometry was bad.
I finally spread some JB Weld on the crack on my manual steering sector and went back to the old Armstrong system. Still steered funky, since I had cut up the original drag link.
The K trucks had a steering sector that moves front to back, the 2wd trucks went left/right.
Big time problems. Look for ram assist power steering on corvette forums. That's compatible but way expensive.
Or do curls and build up your forearms.

Wow. I just answered a ''ghost post''. Never met Fitz either, although he was in Tucson when he was active on this board.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 10-21-2017 at 11:56 PM. Reason: ghost post
'68OrangeSunshine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:18 PM   #38
poledust

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsalvage View Post
If no one has pointed it out that is a not a true 1967 frame.None of the early 1967 crames had bumps in the frame for the box of that dent in the frame you have a 1968 and new farm if you had a 1967 frame you have a Power assist with a manual gear box
Yeah my frame is a 1967. I am the second owner and it does not have a dip in the frame for the PB. One of the guestions I have is does anyone know if I can space the PB off the frame just enough so doesn't hit in the bump. I have to cut the end of the column to shorten it anyway so I was thinking of putting a knuckle or swivel for the offset of this PB.
Thanks for any help and the quick response!
Old 10-22-2017, 06:29 PM   #39
RichardJ

>>does anyone know if I can space the PB off the frame just enough so doesn't hit in the bump.<<

Yes.
If you measure from the flange ear mounting surfaces to the centerline of the pitman shaft, you will find that the manual box is actually wider.
Set the old manual box on your bench and measure up to the pitman shaft center. In order to measure the power box, you will have to set the power box on spacers under the mounting flanges. If you use 1/2" spacers, then subtract 1/2" from the pitman measurement. If I recall the manual box has the pitman shaft about 3/32" farther away from the mounting surface.

In my case, 3/32" washers wasn't enough to clear the bulge. The power box had a lot of casting flash which I ground off. I applied line chalk to the box and installed it. The chalk revealed one high spot, so I ground a little from the box and also from the side of the frame.
It then fit. The hard part was keeping the washers in place, so I tack welded them to the frame.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:41 PM   #40
Jason Banks

My 68 has the same frame as your truck. I used spacers. I think I ordered 1/2 inch spacers but couldn't get ones that had a 7/16 through hole so I ordered smaller and drilled them out. I then put the box the truck and determined that the 1/2 inch thickness too big for my liking and i milled them down so the box is only about 1/16 from the frame.
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:04 AM   #41
poledust

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
>>does anyone know if I can space the PB off the frame just enough so doesn't hit in the bump.<<

Yes.
If you measure from the flange ear mounting surfaces to the centerline of the pitman shaft, you will find that the manual box is actually wider.
Set the old manual box on your bench and measure up to the pitman shaft center. In order to measure the power box, you will have to set the power box on spacers under the mounting flanges. If you use 1/2" spacers, then subtract 1/2" from the pitman measurement. If I recall the manual box has the pitman shaft about 3/32" farther away from the mounting surface.

In my case, 3/32" washers wasn't enough to clear the bulge. The power box had a lot of casting flash which I ground off. I applied line chalk to the box and installed it. The chalk revealed one high spot, so I ground a little from the box and also from the side of the frame.
It then fit. The hard part was keeping the washers in place, so I tack welded them to the frame.
Thanks! I will check this out.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:11 AM   #42
poledust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Banks View Post

My 68 has the same frame as your truck. I used spacers. I think I ordered 1/2 inch spacers but couldn't get ones that had a 7/16 through hole so I ordered smaller and drilled them out. I then put the box the truck and determined that the 1/2 inch thickness too big for my liking and i milled them down so the box is only about 1/16 from the frame.
Thanks! Yeah that is exactly what I was think of doing! Did you have the to use something to offset the column shaft if so what did you use? Did you use a swivel or 2 or a new column? Thanks!!!!
Old 10-24-2017, 09:56 AM   #43
67/Heaven

No need to dimple with this CPP steering box. No spacers needed either.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=729738
Attached Images

67/Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote