The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-23-2016, 12:01 PM   #101
SierraMtns

Re: No Limit Trailing Arm Rear Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post
Just curious, did the heims come with dust boots? IDK if that's required but I keep seeing people say that heims don't last as long as OE stuff and I'm wondering if that would help longevity...
Nope. Just came with a bunch of bubble wrap around everything.

I haven't heard that before them not lasting as long.
SierraMtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:22 PM   #102
Big Port Jimmy 6
Addicted to Rust

So how much trouble to put one of these under a 73-87?
87 GMC CCSB 5.3 4l60E Daily Driver

ECTA National record holder XO/PP

We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public.
Big Port Jimmy 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:44 AM   #103
robnolimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMtns View Post
Nope. Just came with a bunch of bubble wrap around everything.

I haven't heard that before them not lasting as long.
Sorry about the powder coat. They definitely didn't leave our shop that way. As for the life of the hiems, there are two huge factors. 1) what are they used for? and 2) the quality of the heim. So, for #1, the heims are for bracing or the panhard rod, which has less motion and load than say, a 4-bar link or and A-arm. and #2, for the panhard, we use the best quality CM delron lined heims we can get. If they get loose before 50,000 miles, we'll replace them. - If they get loose after 50,000 miles, hey, you drove the wheels off it, spend $30 on new heims.
2011 Truckin' Throwdown Champion
GoodGuys 2010 National Champion

Proud to put our products up against all others!
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:49 AM   #104
robnolimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Port Jimmy 6 View Post
We haven't done this, and have no plans to do so. The goal for the T.A. kit for the 63-72 C10's was to provide a true bolt-in kit (no welding at all) that would ride and handle as well as our FatBar 4-bar. So, to put a trailing arm in a later C1500, there would be welding involved, so, why not use our proven FatBar system? Also, the shape of the frame rail has a lot to do with how successful this swap would be. Just because you 'can' do it, doesn't mean you should.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:55 PM   #105
SierraMtns

I am half away done with installing everything. Finishing up the upper shock mount brackets and started on the panhard bar bracket. Man removing rivets are fun.

From the parts list I notice that the Upper Shock Mount Bracket and Panhard bar Bracket don't come with mounting hardware. Has anyone else ran into this? I seems like I am 11 bolts short.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:08 PM   #106
SierraMtns

Has anyone ran in to an issue with the reference hole for mounting the panhard backet?

Compared to Rob's picture in post #9 the reference hole on my frame looks lower. When I mount the bracket to this hole the bottom two holes don't have frame to bolt the bracket to.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:13 PM   #107
Nicks67C10

I too noticed the reference hole issue. I used the bottom right hole instead of the middle one for reference. I believe I purchased the first trailing arm kit that they sold. I too was short on bolts, just ran to local store and grabbed more. Ill post pictures tomorrow absolutely love the product and everything they have. They will be will be my go to for any and all future projects. You will not find a better company to work with customer service wise not to mention their top quality products.

Also CPP C-notch kit works well with the trailing arm kit as seen on the yellow test truck.
Nicks67C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:50 AM   #108
robnolimit

Sorry guys. We missed the bolt count for the shock and panhard mounts. This has been amended, but if you need them, just call and we'll ship them out. Also, it would seem that some frames have different holes in the back. We will be posting up a measurement in the directions (see 'Tech Center' on our site) and adding this to the instructions. Thanks for the feedback, everyone is having great results with this package. Ride quality and handling is un-matched. The small details will be sorted out. Thanks again.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:34 PM   #109
SierraMtns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks67C10 View Post
I too noticed the reference hole issue. I used the bottom right hole instead of the middle one for reference. I believe I purchased the first trailing arm kit that they sold. I too was short on bolts, just ran to local store and grabbed more. Ill post pictures tomorrow absolutely love the product and everything they have. They will be will be my go to for any and all future projects. You will not find a better company to work with customer service wise not to mention their top quality products.

Also CPP C-notch kit works well with the trailing arm kit as seen on the yellow test truck.
Would love to see some pictures of your truck Nick. What size wheel combo you running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnolimit View Post
Sorry guys. We missed the bolt count for the shock and panhard mounts. This has been amended, but if you need them, just call and we'll ship them out. Also, it would seem that some frames have different holes in the back. We will be posting up a measurement in the directions (see 'Tech Center' on our site) and adding this to the instructions. Thanks for the feedback, everyone is having great results with this package. Ride quality and handling is un-matched. The small details will be sorted out. Thanks again.
Thanks Rob. I am very happy with the protect and your guys customer service. I am ready to order the Wide Ride front when the c-notch is ready.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:00 PM   #110
dfraze

I am stuck at mounting the panhard bar bracket also. I have 2 frames a 71 and 72 neither have the mentioned holes. I will finish mounting it up when dimensions are available. I have plenty of other work to do
dfraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:59 PM   #111
Nicks67C10

I am running the wide ride ifs with 17x10.5 CCW classic 3pc. The rear will be 18x as big as I can fit. Ill have a build posted once I have time. I went to take pictures today to post and them when noticed I cracked one of the coil over eyelets. I didn't tighten the trailing arm to the rear diff, I guess the weight cracked it. No worries Rob is helping me out in replacing it. Next item will be the rear sway bar from No Limit.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:16 AM   #112
SierraMtns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks67C10 View Post
I am running the wide ride ifs with 17x10.5 CCW classic 3pc. The rear will be 18x as big as I can fit. Ill have a build posted once I have time. I went to take pictures today to post and them when noticed I cracked one of the coil over eyelets. I didn't tighten the trailing arm to the rear diff, I guess the weight cracked it. No worries Rob is helping me out in replacing it. Next item will be the rear sway bar from No Limit.
Are you running 2" blocks in the rear? What springs you running?
Old 06-02-2016, 10:06 PM   #113
Nicks67C10

Quote:
Are you running 2" blocks in the rear? What springs you running?
I am running the ride tech single adjust front and rear. I don't know the spring rates, I assume the standard weights from no limit. I will be running 2 inch blocks in the rear possibly a heavier spring up front as well.

What is everyone running on these kits?
Old 06-04-2016, 08:15 AM   #114
bluex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Port Jimmy 6 View Post
There are two swap kits that I know of. If you want to do it, check out CPP's kit and avoid the other one. Hot rods to hell might do it as well but I think they are kind of more into one off setups last time I looked into them. They could be a third option. If you want some details about the kit I have PM me and I'll go over them with you. It shouldn't be two hard of a swap with good parts.

Quote:
We haven't done this, and have no plans to do so. The goal for the T.A. kit for the 63-72 C10's was to provide a true bolt-in kit (no welding at all) that would ride and handle as well as our FatBar 4-bar. So, to put a trailing arm in a later C1500, there would be welding involved, so, why not use our proven FatBar system? Also, the shape of the frame rail has a lot to do with how successful this swap would be. Just because you 'can' do it, doesn't mean you should.
Rob, I'd be interested to hear your opinions on the downfalls of the trailing arm setup in a 73-87. I have a swap kit for my truck and a 72 rear axle so I wasn't supposed to have to do any welding. But parts of the kit don't fit very well and I never got an answer on a fix so its been sitting in a pile in my garage while I work on other stuff. I want to start back on installing it soon though. I'm going to have to modify parts of it and probably the floor of the cab so it will fit the way I think it should.

Not looking for you to specifically bash the available kits per say (I can do that on my own) but what problems the suspension design would have in the later frame.

Thanks!
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:05 AM   #115
SierraMtns

Quote:
Any updates on the measurements? I checked the site and theres nothing up.

Here is where I have it mocked up. It cant go much more forward without hitting the bolt for the cross member.

Also is there a L/R for the trailing arm brackets?

Thanks
Old 06-08-2016, 09:55 AM   #116
robnolimit

Sory for the delay. Here is a spec on the mount location of the panhard rod bracket for chassis that don't have the pic location hole.
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2016, 09:56 AM   #117
robnolimit

Quote:
Any updates on the measurements? I checked the site and theres nothing up.

Here is where I have it mocked up. It cant go much more forward without hitting the bolt for the cross member.

Also is there a L/R for the trailing arm brackets?

Thanks
Lookin good. There is no difference between L.H. & R.H. mounts for the trailing arms. Panhard mount spec is now online. Thanks.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:32 AM   #118
dfraze

Thanks for the dimensions Rob!
dfraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:06 AM   #119
SierraMtns

Hey Rob,

I am ready for the c-notch....

Old 06-13-2016, 01:59 PM   #120
crakarjax

Why not just any other notch? Isn't the panhard specifically designed to work with the CPP notch?
Old 06-13-2016, 04:54 PM   #121
SierraMtns

Quote:
This truck already had a bolt-in notch. Now, lets talk about that. Shame on the aftermarket. Shame on them for helping you cut into your truck for no reason. ??? OK, the frame is approximately 4" tall (rail height), keep that in mind. Also, the rear gear housing is about 4" above the top of the axle tube. (top of center chunk to top of axle tube. So, if you pull the bump stops, and the axle travels up to hit the bottom of the frame, the top of the center section (gear housing) is even with the top of the frame. Are you with me so far? Now realize that the OE bed floor is .75" above the top of the frame. (Or worse, even with it if it's a wood floor). So, if the axle travels up more than 3/4" into the notch, WHAMMO, it hits the bed floor. So, if your keeping the OE bed floor, a 1" notch with a side mounted bump stop is all you need, and you wouldn't cut the frame so much.OK, I know some of you want it lower, and will cut a hole in the bed floor, but that's not what we're doing here. Please think about the notch thing before you cut.

We are working on a notch kit with bump-stops included, but the forming match may take another two months. We are not going to include bolt-in C notches with this kit. We will have them available separately. But, sincle so many trucks are already notched, we are not going to force you to buy something that you don't need, or don't want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post
Why not just any other notch? Isn't the panhard specifically designed to work with the CPP notch?
I would like to keep as much of frame as possible. No reason to cut more out when its not needed.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:53 PM   #122
robnolimit

Looks great! We are now stress testing a few versions of a notch brace. I know that no one else has done this, as we are testing a few others as well. Load stress of mod rails vs. OE rail. Twist, vert. and horiz. loads. Probably 30 days to production unit.

Old 06-14-2016, 02:01 PM   #123
crakarjax

Quote:
Looks great! We are now stress testing a few versions of a notch brace. I know that no one else has done this, as we are testing a few others as well. Load stress of mod rails vs. OE rail. Twist, vert. and horiz. loads. Probably 30 days to production unit.
You're going to give us the raw data on that, right?
Old 06-14-2016, 11:23 PM   #124
SierraMtns

Quote:
Thats great news.

I'll email Jessica now to get my name on the list for the first ones.

Thanks
Old 06-15-2016, 09:09 PM   #125
SierraMtns

Quote:
Any idea what the price range might be on the notch?