The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2015, 12:29 AM   #1
dutchmanz
Knuckle Buster, Instructor

71 C10 Deluxe "Ole Blue'

I finally gave up on a 71 Chevelle project I bought on an impulse. Once I did, I jumped on a 71 C10 I had been eyeing on Craigslist. I originally wanted a shortbed but I plan to use this old girl and a long bed just makes more sense. The Blazer needed a sibling and this is it.

The truck is an original one owner truck. I bought it from the owners son. It is about as unmolested as I have seen. Factory jack and tools, glove box, factory paint, even the protecto plate and bill of sale still tucked in the owners packet.

The engine has been rebuilt with some nice HP parts and towing cam. The 350 trans is also freshly rebuilt with a TCI converter. The 12 bolt has factory 3.07 gears. It has a little rust in the usual places but its surprisingly solid. The patina is really cool and I'm sure I can bring back some shine. More info to come so time for some pics...
Attached Images

53 Studebaker M35 w/331 Reo gas I-6, Air Force Strata Blue
dutchmanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:33 AM   #2
dutchmanz

Re: 71 C10 Deluxe "Ole Blue'

A few more.
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2015, 04:23 PM   #3
cooperhw

Very nice. Only original once.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:05 PM   #4
rsgt

Very nice truck. I am looking for something similar. What does something like this go for? Thanks
rsgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:51 PM   #5
dutchmanz

I had a few days and a few updates. There was a noise in the front end which turned out to be a wheel bearing. I snowballed it into new rotors, bearings, seals and brake pads. Yeah, that fixed it. I also had a bad center support bearing on the drive shaft. I replaced it and 2 unjoints. It lasted a whole 5 miles and the rubber shredded. Soo, I got to do it all again. I also had a left rear brake line that was too rusty for my liking. I bend a new one and bleed the system. The heater controls were broken at the pot metal crimps so I drilled it and bolted it together with some stainless Allen bolts. This was a great time to clean all the leaves from the heater box. I actually have air flow from the left defroster now. I switched out the 160 thermostat for a 180 and now I have great heat. Pics coming...
Old 12-05-2015, 11:33 PM   #6
dutchmanz

Got a small box of goodys in the mail this week. Sooo, today's project... Lose those fugly white mirrors. Of course that was a several hour job. I got the door panels off without too much effort. They really needed a good scrubbing. Removed the old mirrors, cleaned up the door some and got the new mirrors bolted on. I replaced the pass outer door handle since it was pealing. Lubed all the door inner parts and put it all back together. Still waiting on another package with the armrests and other stuff. Anyway, the results speak for themselves. I got the convex pass mirror so it is actually functional. I made a new bracket and added a pair of 4" speakers in the dash and installed a Clarion radio I've had for years. Also put a new set of pedal pads on with the stainless trim. I didn't get the gas pedal installed yet.
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2015, 07:22 PM   #7
dutchmanz

I tracked down a set of 8" rally wheels and picked up a set of new 255/70r15 Cooper tires. A little cleaning and a fresh coat of paint makes for a nice wheel. Add new lug nuts, a set of skinny trim rings and the nicest set of caps I've seen (from 72ironmike) and I'm extremely happy with the results. Also replaced all 4 shocks. The rear had the helper coil spring shocks and they had the back too high for my taste. I'll try for better pics tomorrow. Hard to do this time of year when you leave home in the dark and get home in it too.
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2015, 10:11 PM   #8
dutchmanz

I got a few good pics of the truck with the new wheels and tires. Still no pics of the truck and Blazer together. I had an intake gasket that was seeping some antifreeze so I thought I'd add some upgrades to the engine at the same time. Added an Edelbrock intake just because I had it and why not lose the heavy cast iron anyway. Added a chrome air cleaner and some GMPP valve covers. Found the HEI cap melted too. I don't know why everyone wants to put the carbon brush thru the rubber washer instead of the other way around. Seems to run smoother now anyway.
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2015, 11:41 PM   #9
dutchmanz

Had a few days off and made a few more upgrades. New door sills and door weatherstripping...done. Sounds easy but the PO decided to silicone all the way around the inside and outside of the rubber trying to get a good seal. That was a major pain. The door sills were rusted thru so I ordered a new set. The biggest upgrade... No more burgundy seat! PUI cover was a nice fit. I had the back cover restitched so it didnot cover the seat arm. I want to make the rear seat fold but didn't have what I needed yet. I also added a center seat belt and cleaned up the seat tracks. While the sills were out I put in a new dome lamp. The old one was junk. I replaced the broken antenna with a universal one. It's not the best but it actually works.
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2016, 01:56 PM   #10
dutchmanz

The truck suffered from some road rage back in January. Long story short, I was rear ended at about 60 MPH and it did a number on the truck. I now have a salvaged vehicle and I just don't like the idea. I have since replaced the bed, bumper, gas tank and the drivers door but the cab is bent from contact with the bed. The rear frame is bent some too, making the replacement bed not sit level. I've been driving it but I also bought a 72 Highlander that I'll try to fix instead. I think I'm going to make the 71 a SWB truck using a rough 69 SWB I can get cheap. Between the 72 and the 69, I can use all of the 71 to fix them both, maybe.. Might even have some parts left over.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:53 PM   #11
swamp rat

Bummer, time for new build threads i guess..

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote