The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2020, 11:11 PM   #1
chtr65

Dana 44 differential cover torque specs

Can anyone tell me where I can find the torque specs for the differential cover front axle? Is there a book that gives all the torque specs for the drive train? Mine is a 66 Chevy 1/2 ton. Thanks in advance
chtr65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:08 AM   #2
fishmunger

Re: Dana 44 differential cover torque specs

I think i torqued mine to 25ft/lbs. spec wasnt in my manual, so i just googled it and iirc, most guys were saying around 22- 30 ft lbs.
fishmunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:11 AM   #3
Killer Bee

as important as proper torque, make sure to remove any high spots on housing and cover, paying extra attention to bottom edges, so parts sit nice n flat for lower chances of leaks.. you can also place a small led flashlight inside the diff while dry fitting the cover to look for leak paths..

the permatex I mentioned below works good on tight clearances like these if gasket is not used.. if an rtv is preferred, this is good stuff Permatex® Gear Oil RTV Gasket Maker

and if you have trouble keeping the residual gear oil from running down the lower flange lip, jack up the vehicle so that end is high and oil runs in instead of out.. clean both surfaces with brakleen so sealant bonds tight..

and make sure any sealant recommended cure times are followed carefully before allowing and oil contact.. gear oil is sneaky..

good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
haven't had any of my old Eaton HOs open yet to verify what's inside..

but if above is correct and no gasket is required for clearance issues, this is good stuff!

Permatex® Anaerobic Flange Sealant

make sure to stone both surfaces for high spots, get 'em both nice n flat..

under chassis components like this are vulnerable to ground and road debris impacts..

blunt force on a flange mating surface can distress the metal creating high spots and heave the parts apart creating leaks.. if surfaces aren't stoned or filed flat and smooth, they will continue leaking..

I've done this on hundreds of hydrosat trans component cases and end caps to restore sealing surface..

good luck!
Old 05-23-2020, 08:41 AM   #4
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
.. if an rtv is preferred, this is good stuff Permatex® Gear Oil RTV Gasket Maker
That is great stuff.... it's the only gear-oil sealer I have used that has not eventually leaked or seeped a bit. I use it with a gasket, and smear a thin coat on both sides of the gasket.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:09 PM   #5
chtr65

Thanks for some really good info. I have bought the Lubelocker gaskets, only because I didn't know about the sealant mentioned above. Lubelocker gasket with the proper torque spec should hopefully work. Thanks, Mike
chtr65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:52 AM   #6
68panelman

Heard nothing but good things about the lubelocker gaskets. Absolutely hate using rtv on covers cause of mess and time it takes to wait for it to "skin" before putting back cover and fill with oil. I have a few leakers and plan to use them also
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote