The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-27-2020, 05:57 AM   #1
4u2nv

is this how it's done ????

If you raise your 4x4 4 inches does it mean you have to lengthen the drive shaft or it leaks tranny fluid ????
4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:28 AM   #2
Killer Bee

Re: is this how it's done ????

short answer is no, 4" of lift does not automatically or categorically necessitate driveshaft lengthening..

can a 4" lift in some circumstances require driveshaft lengthening? sometimes but not always..

can lifting a 4wd vehicle create transfer case leaks? yes, but not necessarily by virtue of lift alone..

slip yokes are designed to operate within a range of suspension travel, some accomplish this better than others..

worn yokes and seals simply running in different positions can create leaks where otherwise parts in better condition would not leak..

short wheelbase vehicles may experience driveline angle issues more so than overall length issues..

suspension travel is also an important factor that dictates required driveshaft lengths, yoke engagement, u-joint type, etc..

apologies for the vague answer but there is a myriad of criteria to consider for a proper answer to your question..

knowing exactly what you're working on, exact lift from stock height, method of lift, etc. will yield more accurate responses..

please share some details about your project and good luck!
Old 05-27-2020, 03:16 PM   #3
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
short answer is no, 4" of lift does not automatically or categorically necessitate driveshaft lengthening..

can a 4" lift in some circumstances require driveshaft lengthening? sometimes but not always..

can lifting a 4wd vehicle create transfer case leaks? yes, but not necessarily by virtue of lift alone..

slip yokes are designed to operate within a range of suspension travel, some accomplish this better than others..

worn yokes and seals simply running in different positions can create leaks where otherwise parts in better condition would not leak..

short wheelbase vehicles may experience driveline angle issues more so than overall length issues..

suspension travel is also an important factor that dictates required driveshaft lengths, yoke engagement, u-joint type, etc..

apologies for the vague answer but there is a myriad of criteria to consider for a proper answer to your question..

knowing exactly what you're working on, exact lift from stock height, method of lift, etc. will yield more accurate responses..

please share some details about your project and good luck!
X2, good explanation

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:48 AM   #4
4u2nv

1987 k10 short box , lifted 4 inch and it has a small of tranny fluid leak coming from around the u- joint at the yoke , it's not the seal .
This lift was already done to it when I purchased the truck
4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:27 AM   #5
Killer Bee

I'm not familiar with 87 k10 transfer cases specifically but sounds like weep hole in the yoke.. this allows linear movement of the yoke over output spline during suspension travel without creating hydraulic lock internally.. again, I'm not familiar with your specific transfer case as to what kind of spline sleeve internal seal or o-ring it may have if any.. but you can at least verify whether the yoke has a weep hole and if that's the source of the leak.. it may also make a difference which shaft it is, front or rear, as they may have different seal arrangements..

google "slip yoke weep hole leak transfer case" to see a plethera of articles that may match you symptoms..

hopefully someone more knowledgeable about your specific series of truck will clear this up for you.. and for future reference, a little more descriptive thread title may draw faster pointed answers to your questions

good luck!