The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2018, 09:56 PM   #51
Getter-Done

Re: 1968 Chevrolet "Slow" and "Quiet" Build

Great Progress.
Are you still using the wire wheel for paint removal?
That's working good.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:50 PM   #52
Originalthor

These are my weapons. The 7 inch sander with 80 grit for the flat stuff. The side angle grinder with 120 for the curved and what I can t get with the 7 inch. The wire wheel on the grinder for the top of the door and bad rust spots. The yellow sander with that red wire wheel works ok but just use it in the middle of the door.
Attached Images

Originalthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:52 PM   #53
Originalthor

Oh and the air chuck to blow all the paint dust off myself. Never the parts cause I got no moisture remover. Don't want to be blowing oily wet air on the nicely sanded parts
Old 11-29-2018, 10:40 PM   #54
Originalthor

Started on the fleetside today. It didn't start very good cause that red paint is on there. I don't know if GMC and Chevy used different paints cause both are 68. The blue paint burnt off like nothing the red on the other hand was not coming off for the life of me.

Then it dawned on me I got my daughter to use paint stripper on the front fenders for a science project and she also tried the door. The fenders one original blue and just primed paint peeled off like nothing. The door only really took the clear coat off sorta but it sanded just like the blue door. So I pulled some chemical warfare on the fleet side let it sit for a bit scraped it off and it sanded like a charm. Go figure.

Picture time. Didn't get as much as I wanted but at least I got a method of mayhem ob how to get it off easily.
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2018, 11:00 PM   #55
Kronald_70GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalthor View Post
Started on the fleetside today. It didn't start very good cause that red paint is on there. I don't know if GMC and Chevy used different paints cause both are 68. The blue paint burnt off like nothing the red on the other hand was not coming off for the life of me.

Then it dawned on me I got my daughter to use paint stripper on the front fenders for a science project and she also tried the door. The fenders one original blue and just primed paint peeled off like nothing. The door only really took the clear coat off sorta but it sanded just like the blue door. So I pulled some chemical warfare on the fleet side let it sit for a bit scraped it off and it sanded like a charm. Go figure.

Picture time. Didn't get as much as I wanted but at least I got a method of mayhem ob how to get it off easily.
That's not a horrible amount of progress for one evening worth though. It's coming along good. We will be pulling out those creases and dents in no time!

1970 GMC "Project Splice"

2017 Silverado LTZ (Daily Driver)

IG: kyle_ronald
Kronald_70GMC is offline   Reply With Quote