The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: 13" Brakes: Any Interest?
Yes, interested 195 95.59%
No thanks 9 4.41%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-05-2008, 07:10 PM   #226
Ackattack

Re: How Much Interest: 13" Big Brake Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post

Spindle mods included cutting the original caliper ears off, drilling out 2 of the splash shield holes to a larger size (.500"), re-tapping the 'new' larger holes, & clearance grinding for the adapter bracket bolts.
So I won't be able to run a splash shield! Oh, no, that kills the deal for me.

I'm already looking for calipers. Also, I'm wondering if the LS1 F-body calipers would work too. The calipers are VERY similar to the corvette calipers and are a lot more plentiful, and then don't include the corvette tax on them.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:07 PM   #227
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
So I won't be able to run a splash shield! Oh, no, that kills the deal for me.

I'm already looking for calipers. Also, I'm wondering if the LS1 F-body calipers would work too. The calipers are VERY similar to the corvette calipers and are a lot more plentiful, and then don't include the corvette tax on them.
LS1 calipers are 2-pot 38mm, I'm not sure what's on your vette but IIRC it's also 38mm so that's an option. I'm using Z51 option calipers which are 2-pot 40mm.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:01 AM   #228
72hotrod

It seems to me that so much of the problem we face in modifying our vehicles at a reasonable price is that someone is always trying to make a buck off of "R&D" that isn't all that special. We spend a lot of time working on our old stuff, but are happy to give away the benefit of our experience and tell our friends anything that we learn that might help benefit them. There are many examples of this by our members, some who have put in a lot of personal time researching solutions mostly without any profit, to help others or just for the fun of it. Some specialty vendors, on the other hand, want to maximize profit by selling kits full of generic parts along with unique parts so they can make more money marking up every little piece. Whatever the market will bear. Nothing wrong in offering kits for sale, this is America, but these proprietary R&D "secrets" aren't really worth it to those with lower incomes who need to stretch every dollar and require more flexibility in our sourcing options. So a certain bracket will mount a certain caliper to a certain spindle using a certain hub and a certain rotor and will fit within the space of certain wheels and somebody has to figure it all out. But when nearly every component in a kit is a stock part, we have to ultimately pay for all the extra overhead the vendor creates in acquiring,stocking,assembling,and shipping parts that we can get locally. It might be different if the kit saved money for us on these generic items as well as having the convenience of one stop shopping, which adds value, but instead they usually just jack up the total mark-up. So, you're going to find that it is usually impossible to get these guys to sell just the unique parts to make these kits work, because that's not going to make enough money to satisfy them. But getting nickel and dimed to death makes it cost too much for some of us. Sure, I know profit is what makes this stuff possible in the marketplace, and many times you get customer service along with the R&D required for unique products, but we shouldn't have to bleed unnecessarily out of every orifice. I guess maybe it's just sour grapes because I want but can't have. But SCOTI has put in a lot of personal effort to promote this project, just like Glock35IPSC did on his, to GIVE us some R&D. So please recognise their contributions and be grateful enough to give them props for their efforts and the community spirit which it signifies. And be courteous enough to try not to crap other peoples threads please. Sorry I got carried away! Rant: Off

Last edited by 72hotrod; 04-29-2008 at 12:11 AM. Reason: apology
72hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 06:21 AM   #229
blakeaz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged74 View Post
its amazing how much that looks like my baer kit. Its almost an exact match. My kit is disassembled now, so i will post some pics this weekend for comparison. These are DEFINITELY a more economical option than baer.

Curious to see your Baer kit - are you able to still post pic's. Does your kit have separate hub and rotor. I've got Baer 6S and 14's on one of my cars and wanted something similar for my 68 - Baer or this new part discussed in the thread.
blakeaz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:46 AM   #230
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeaz33 View Post
Curious to see your Baer kit - are you able to still post pic's. Does your kit have separate hub and rotor. I've got Baer 6S and 14's on one of my cars and wanted something similar for my 68 - Baer or this new part discussed in the thread.
I've asked for pics & prices. . .....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 05-11-2008, 03:43 PM   #231
bagged74
its just $$$$$

sorry guys i completely forgot about the pics. I will take some today.
Scoti.. i think i PM'd you the price.
Anyways it cost me about $2500 for the front and rear kit from baer.
bagged74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:08 PM   #232
bagged74
its just $$$$$

here are some disassembled pics
Attached Images

bagged74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:25 PM   #233
Ackattack

Any developments on this kit?
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:06 AM   #234
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Are the hubs specialty made or are they an off the shelf unit from another vehicle?
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:38 AM   #235
SCOTI

The hubs for the kit I was helping with are spec made billet pieces based off of C10 hub dimensions.

Ackattack, I'll see if they're production ready yet.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-01-2008, 12:50 PM   #236
DKN

Scotti, if KORE3 does not have hubs yet, you can get either 5 or 6 lug hubs from CPP. These hubs are already shipping with the CPP 13” kits.
DKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:38 PM   #237
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKN View Post
Scotti, if KORE3 does not have hubs yet, you can get either 5 or 6 lug hubs from CPP. These hubs are already shipping with the CPP 13” kits.
I have mine.... I haven't spoken w/them to know if they're ready on the production scale. I like the CPP kit w/the exception of no options for the rotors for those of us that don't want the cross-drilled stuff. Nice article & testing on it too.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-01-2008, 03:16 PM   #238
Hart_Rod

Quote:
My set-up was $1300 delivered. That included the larger aftermarket rotors vs. the GM C5 rotor which added $360 to the cost.
I'm late into this discussion, but is $1300 for the front and rear? My apologies if this has already been posted.

R/
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:25 PM   #239
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
I'm late into this discussion, but is $1300 for the front and rear? My apologies if this has already been posted.

R/
That would be awesome but ..... the price was for the front only.

My stuff is C6 13.4" rotors, C5/6 2-pot PBR calipers, billet hubs, bearings, seals, stainless flex brake lines, ARP wheel studs, and the required brackets for the conversion. I could have gotten 14" rotors for a little more too....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-01-2008, 06:01 PM   #240
LMDGUY

my Baers came assembled and had them in 7 days. But they are local and they are helping with the build of my truck =)

2013 Silverado

1964 Cadillac
LMDGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:35 AM   #241
abadsvt

WOW!!!! I am glad i came across this thread. I have seen it before but didn't have much time to check it out and man it looks like i missed alot. It is funny. We have alot of parts available for our trucks but when it comes to big brakes we don't have much at all. Until NOW!!!!!

I also apologize if this was asked before ( i did look but just in case i missed it) will this setup work with the big C6 Z06 brake package? I believe that Kore3 sells a kit for the rear but the front was always a issue.

Thanks for sharing scoti!!! You are definately the man

Josh
Other project: C5 corvette swap into 70 c10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post2413517 On Hold

Last edited by abadsvt; 08-02-2008 at 04:36 AM.
abadsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:58 AM   #242
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadsvt View Post

I also apologize if this was asked before ( i did look but just in case i missed it) will this setup work with the big C6 Z06 brake package? I believe that Kore3 sells a kit for the rear but the front was always a issue.
Yes, w/the right bracket (& wheels), the C6 Z06 set-up is possible (w/different rotor choices as well).

They had dimensions on file & from several trucks (mine included) but from what I understood the 'bolt-on' rear kit was still a little ways off. They do offer car 12-bolt & 9" stuff & the large 9" ends could be swapped over to truck rears (like typical c-clip elimination procedures) for a right now solution. Seems truck rears are like those dang late model 8.5" 10-bolt g-body (Grand national/T-type) rear ends since they have specific housing ends not shared w/other product lines.

I'm waiting to hear from him w/any new updates.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 08-02-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:14 PM   #243
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
Any developments on this kit?
My latest e-mail response . .....

Scot,

Things are going well. Busy. We've got the first production run of hubs
going now for the trucks which should be ready in about 1-2 weeks.
Honestly, the instructions are the last thing that needs to be addressed,
but we'll do what it takes to make it happen. Our goal is to list the truck
application on the website the first part of September. We've got the
"race" brackets for the rear 12-bolt w/o a parking brake and are hoping to
have a parking brake solution ready by the end of the year.

Thanks for checking in and I hope your summer is treating you well thus far.

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-20-2008, 11:13 PM   #244
abadsvt

I think i might have missed it. Can you buy just the hubs and bearings? If so do you have an idea on what that might cost? That way i can buy my own rotors and calipers. I know i would have to fab up my own bracket for the calipers. Thanks Scotti!

Quote:
My latest e-mail response . .....

Scot,

Things are going well. Busy. We've got the first production run of hubs
going now for the trucks which should be ready in about 1-2 weeks.
Honestly, the instructions are the last thing that needs to be addressed,
but we'll do what it takes to make it happen. Our goal is to list the truck
application on the website the first part of September. We've got the
"race" brackets for the rear 12-bolt w/o a parking brake and are hoping to
have a parking brake solution ready by the end of the year.

Thanks for checking in and I hope your summer is treating you well thus far.

Other project: C5 corvette swap into 70 c10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post2413517 On Hold
abadsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:38 PM   #245
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadsvt View Post
I think i might have missed it. Can you buy just the hubs and bearings? If so do you have an idea on what that might cost? That way i can buy my own rotors and calipers. I know i would have to fab up my own bracket for the calipers. Thanks Scotti!
You have PM.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-21-2008, 06:19 PM   #246
jlaird

Scoti,

is there any info in this thread about the rear brakes besides in post #243? Details?
jlaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:40 PM   #247
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaird View Post
Scoti,

is there any info in this thread about the rear brakes besides in post #243? Details?
When we talked last he told me if I wanted them 'soon' I would need to go a different route as there were other projects ahead of this rear 'kit'. I told him I could use my rear drums for now but never did nail down exactly how long the wait might be....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-06-2009, 10:13 AM   #248
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

For some reason I never subscribed. Now I have.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote