The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-21-2016, 08:26 PM   #1
cse

TKO 600 swap

First post here. I’ve been lurking for a while and have enjoyed the builds and tech info. I recently picked up 1974 SWB C10 454/T400, my third square in the last 20 years. I’m planning to swap the Turbo 400 for a TKO 600. I’ve talked to American Powertrain and Hurst Drivelines and it seems like the available kits are pretty good. I have two areas I need to decide on what direction to go and was hoping to draw on some of the experience here.

First is the clutch pedal. It seems like three options here – OEM mechanical, OEM hydraulic and aftermarket hydraulic. I’m pretty sure I want to go hydraulic over mechanical, does the Wilwood offer any advantage over the OEM hydraulic? Has anyone hung one of the Wilwood Swing Mount pedal systems on a stock C10 firewall?

The second area of concern is the floor. I’ve read the T400/BB trucks had a high enough tunnel to work with the TKO, but have been unable to confirm this and mine looks low. I’m assuming I do need to raise the tunnel by using a factory C10 4spd high tunnel or making one. Is the OEM C10 high tunnel long enough or does there need to also be a raised area behind the high hump to clear the driveshaft? Will a K10 4sp high hump work?

This is my daily driver, so I’m hoping to get everything in order before tearing the truck down to avoid excessive down time.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jim
cse is offline   Reply With Quote