The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #576
Twisted6

Re: Tricked-out Chevy six cylinder engines

I think projects are never really done? That is why they are called projects right lol. Because you no sooner get it to where you think you want it, An boom here comes another idea an so it becomes another project LOL.
But anyway all it boils down to is your having fun and most (?) like what you have done with it. But bottom lines is as long as you like it, that is all that really matters right.
And your having a blast driving it.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:10 AM   #577
Dillon Rock

Twisted6 I agree to that on projects, too many tractors I re-did back on the farm that still needed a complete overhaul on the drivetrain. T.J., I think the highest I got mine was maybe around 3,500 RPM when I first got the truck and my buddy who's out of the navy now, decided to go to this old rock quarry and drag our trucks (my stock '64 C20 vs. his '04 Ford 6.3L F-250) Obviously with him having all that power, sadly I was blown in the dust, but that old truck spun gravel all the way through 3rd gear!
Old 10-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #578
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillon Rock View Post
Here's my 292, under maintenance for the day. Had to replace the intake/exhaust manifold gasket. Still has the factory "GM Alpine Green" or "Detroit Engine Green" faded on the valve cover.
DILLON ROCK,
Are you doing a stock restoration on your 6? Mine was painted green also at one time. I know in 64 the 6's were blue.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:41 AM   #579
Dillon Rock

From what I read somewhere, the color code for the engines was Green on the 292's, the smaller I6's were that of the "Blue Flame" blue they used or Chevy Engine Orange (or Chevy engine red, which ever you fella's prefer to call it, I'm up for all preferences on that discussion) and the V-8's were the color they came painted. I know on my neighbors 66 C30, it's still painted the factory green like mine and mine hasn't been touched at all for paint, the last bit is on the valve cover in my pictures.
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #580
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillon Rock View Post
From what I read somewhere, the color code for the engines was Green on the 292's, the smaller I6's were that of the "Blue Flame" blue they used or Chevy Engine Orange (or Chevy engine red, which ever you fella's prefer to call it, I'm up for all preferences on that discussion) and the V-8's were the color they came painted. I know on my neighbors 66 C30, it's still painted the factory green like mine and mine hasn't been touched at all for paint, the last bit is on the valve cover in my pictures.
Dillon,

On post 529 on page 22 there is a video of my 64 running, and it has a 292 with blue paint. According to my friend that is the oem motor, but only the trans was changed out. And it is oem paint because it still has the oem Hi-Torque 292 sticker on the side of the valve cover. I've seen in some places that the earlier 1960-64 inlines were painted blue. The 235 was know as the "Blue Flame 6" but no others wereAs far as I know). Factory paint on my 66 292 was green....but now rust.LOL! All I know is I sure ain't gonna paint my 292 green!!!! HAHAHA!! I think in 66 the paint code changed, but I know the 70's inlines were sometimes chevy orange or chevy red....And I just found a picture!
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2013, 12:03 AM   #581
'68OrangeSunshine

I have a core motor that's painted the Alpine Green. I ran the casting numbers and it came out as a 1962-cast block for the '63 model year. I bought it from a guy that worked at Checker Auto. He bought it so he could ''high-grade'' the embossed CHEVROLET script on the top of the valve cover. So I bought a core with a green block, oil pan and head, and a blue valve cover.
Were the 261s painted that color green?
I'm no expert with time on the production line in the Mid-'60s, so I can't be any ultimate authority, but from the '67 model year [I believe] they ran with Chevy Engine Orange on all L6s and V8 SBCs. Chevy Engine Red had more red in it and was for BBCs. At some point, Chevy Engine Orange predominated, before they went to GM Corporate Blue and then Low Gloss Black. But from the '67 model year*, all engines were the same color, regardless of displacement of configuration.
[* unless it was in '66?]

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 10-27-2013 at 12:12 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:53 AM   #582
Dillon Rock

Well, I'm up for all colors on these engines, lol. Who knows, maybe GM decided to run with colors on different years or whatnot. I'll look into that tonight and I'm sure the other fella's markeb01, 66submarine, Aerotruck, and all the old timers that have more knowledge of this can help too, them fella's know a lot, almost like they worked the truck lines themselves and lord knows where I'd be without their advice as well as your guys' advice too. T.J. I can agree to the block being painted rust too
Old 10-27-2013, 06:38 AM   #583
Dillon Rock

So, after an hour of looking I finally found the site I remember that had the color codes for engine. Keep in mind however, engine color differed from plant to plant and if they had paint from a series that carried over until they ran out. This site says it's not official but I'm sure you guys might have some more legit documentation out there. T.J., thought this might help with our curiosity cause I really want to find this out now, lol. so without further a-due. here's the site for some engine colors for the line of all Chevrolet vehicles if someone has another year of project. Hope it helps us out in some way or another guys.

http://www.cs.siena.edu/~lederman/tr...VCCAcolor.html
Old 10-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #584
A.T. RockDriller

Looks like D-Rock stayed up all night getting some answers...
Nice job there, Dillon.
That ought to give us all something to talk about for a while.
'66 GMC 4000...351C, 5&2
A.T. RockDriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:00 PM   #585
Dillon Rock

Well, I was workin late last night (not a big suprise on my boat when you have nothing to do, lol) but T.J. did have me wondering. My truck is the second one I've personally seen with the Alpine Green on it and my neighbors being the first and with T.J.'s 64 fleetside havinga blue 292, I've heard of them in that color and seen many GM engine advertisements on here (thanks to all y'all with the factory prints) that the inline series blocks came in several colors so I thought What the heck, I'll look for it anyways, lol.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:57 PM   #586
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Well now that Dillon Rock REALLY peaked up my curiosity to the point that now Ihave to find out!!!! I'll do some re-search and see what I find.....I do know that in the 50's model years the 235 was known as the "Blue Flame" 6.....BUT I am not sure if that was in ALL production automobiles....I know the late 50's Corvette had the option of a "Blue Flame" 235 with triple side draft carbs....but not sure if the 235 was called "Blue Flame" in the trucks......the 292 and 230 came out in 63.....ALL inline engines(194-235-250-261) as far as I know were painted Blue, Blue/Gray, or Gray. AND in 63 when the 230 and 292 came out I believe they started as blue and in 65 or 66 the 292 changed to green; then in the late 60's early 70's chevy engine red....saw a crate motor 250 painted chevy engine red and it was a 1971.... But now I am gonna have to find out for sure.....
Old 10-28-2013, 01:40 AM   #587
'68OrangeSunshine

That's a superb list that Dillon Rock uncovered. Too bad for my interests, that it stops in '66, since all my trucks and projects are '67/'72. But as Wm. Shakespeare says: "There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreampt of in your Philosophy..."
I once had a theory, that the 292 originally debuted in Alpine Green, because its predecessor the 261 was Alpine Green and that was to differentiate it [at-a-glance] from the blue 235, that was otherwise identical on the outside. Now I realize I was never that smart to know how all that stuff went down 'back in the day.'
A guy in the 67-72 forum has a '70 or '72 350 that he's sure was originally painted Lo-Gloss Black. It has the right provenance. I've been pontificating the line that "No ALL engines after 1967 were Chevy Engine Orange."
So here's my 'New Theory': Perhaps, one Friday afternoon, after a few pitchers at lunch, the paint guys ran out of Chevy Engine Orange and sprayed the engine with the same Low Gloss Black they used on frames. The production line would not stop while somebody found the ''correct'' shade of Orange, it had to keep running along, regardless.
I'm not infallible, I wasn't there. How could I know? Also the Marketing Guys may have some showroom eye candy thing going on, by switching up the engine colors.
At this point, we'll never really know, but it's fun to speculate.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:49 AM   #588
Dillon Rock

Thanks fella's, T.J., I just remember the smaller I6's in the 50's as the "Blue Flame" like you said, but what I was thinkin was that they used that same blue on some later year engines. T.J., it's also funny how your 64 fleetside has the blue 292 and my 64 stepside has the green 292 and what we end up finding out . Gotta love the random questions that blurb their way into these threads and posts. Now, if we can only make a time machine to go back and see this happen in the factories........
Old 10-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #589
A.T. RockDriller

And let's not forget those ol' Jokers in the deck...:

Spray-cans and Crate Motors.
'66 GMC 4000...351C, 5&2
A.T. RockDriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #590
ncoonen

For what it's worth, the 1963 owner's manual gives a color identification guide for engines. I don't know if it's in all manuals but this, based on my sample-of-one testing, is right for my 230 6-cylinder at least.

Image borrowed from Norman Meloche's excellent archive of documentation.

...ned.
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #591
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Not sure, I don't think my friend ever re-painted his motor blue...far as I now it was pulled out to change the trans from a powerglide to a Saginaw 4 speed. Doubt it is a crate motor....has 85,--- (Don't remember this part) on the motor....But can you believe this!!! Dillon, look up on the kick panel on the driver's side there should be a metal plate with a list of options for motors available for that year. ON my 64 3/4 ton a 153 4 cylinder was optional!!!!!! WOW!!! unless you had a 5:23:1 gear ratio you couldn't even haul a bag of groceries with that thing!!!! But any way back to the subject....oem for my 66 was green...but I know the 250 was deleted in 73 I think....292 was deleted in 88. So we have from 63-88 of color codes and from......late 50's to 73(?) for the 250 and the 230 went into the 70's also. The 216 was deleted in the 50's and the 235 and 261 were deleted in 63. But color codes are still rolling though my mind.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #592
jcramsey

Anybody running a Holley Projection 2d setup on a six?

The Government Mule
jcramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #593
Twisted6

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.J. MCCAULEY View Post
Not sure, I don't think my friend ever re-painted his motor blue...far as I now it was pulled out to change the trans from a powerglide to a Saginaw 4 speed. Doubt it is a crate motor....has 85,--- (Don't remember this part) on the motor....But can you believe this!!! Dillon, look up on the kick panel on the driver's side there should be a metal plate with a list of options for motors available for that year. ON my 64 3/4 ton a 153 4 cylinder was optional!!!!!! WOW!!! unless you had a 5:23:1 gear ratio you couldn't even haul a bag of groceries with that thing!!!! But any way back to the subject....oem for my 66 was green...but I know the 250 was deleted in 73 I think....292 was deleted in 88. So we have from 63-88 of color codes and from......late 50's to 73(?) for the 250 and the 230 went into the 70's also. The 216 was deleted in the 50's and the 235 and 261 were deleted in 63. But color codes are still rolling though my mind.
The 250s were still going into things in 79 any later then that I have no clue.
But I know for sure the 79 nova's had the 250s
Old 10-28-2013, 07:40 PM   #594
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I think 84 was the last year of the 250 in trucks (4.3 V6 was available in 85). The 292 I know was still there in 82... I think it ran thru 85, but not positive on that.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #595
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

292 was deleted in 88. Thanks for the info Larry.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:51 PM   #596
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Thought I'd bump this thread and add a new video.....this one is of a perrty neat 292....
Old 01-02-2014, 07:03 PM   #597
Twisted6

That's One sounding & Great looking Truck.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:34 AM   #598
sambudo

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.J. MCCAULEY View Post
Well here it is. Finally got my carb. Gonna get a exhaust system put in sometime next week. This thing sound awesome running straight pipes! Though I got a major headache in the cab while I was driving it. Has a 600 cfm edelbrock. Sounds like a mean machine when you rev it up.
TJ looks awesome! great job, this is what i want to do, with mine.

Upgrades: Power Steering
.......................____
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(O)___//___/__(O)_/
sambudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:35 AM   #599
jcramsey

Anyone ever run one of these air induction setups from ClassicInlines on their six? I'm diggin' it! Especially the finned carb hat.

Cold Air Induction Kit
Attached Images

The Government Mule
jcramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #600
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambudo View Post
TJ looks awesome! great job, this is what i want to do, with mine.
Thanks! The 600 is straight out of the box. The motor runs rich, but runs fine. If yours is a 250 I wouldn't do a 600.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcramsey View Post
Anyone ever run one of these air induction setups from ClassicInlines on their six? I'm diggin' it! Especially the finned carb hat.

Cold Air Induction Kit
Hey that looks sweet!