The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2003, 02:20 PM   #1
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

Arrow Jim Meyer '60-87 GM Pickup IFS

Anyone see the tech article in the current Classic Trucks Magazine regarding the Jim Meyer bolt-in IFS? Looks like a nice (and complete) kit. Those of you who are interested in a lowered stance/rack and pinion steering/disc brakes might want to check it out. There was no price given in the magazine, but I'm sure it's not cheap.
Old 12-16-2003, 03:57 PM   #2
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Last time I heard it was right around $1200 or so.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 11:58 AM   #3
SCOTI

It looks like a decent set-up. The one thing I didn't like was the upper arms use teflon coated spherical bearings which my guess is will either wear rapidly or squeek alot w/a lot of miles.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 01-17-2004 at 04:03 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 03:31 AM   #4
GMC JUNKIE TOO
THE QUICKER FIXERUPER

Yeah I read it, it is a a nice setup well designed and uses factory calipers and rotors. And for that base price I would go that route before I notched a crossmember and bought drop spindles the ease and simplicity would be worth it to me. I plan on buying one with shockwaves for my 65 in the verry distant future, if I can ever finish my panel and school.
GMC JUNKIE TOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 10:55 AM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally posted by GMC JUNKIE TOO
..... I plan on buying one with shockwaves for my 65 in the verry distant future, if I can ever finish my panel and school.
Are you planning on driving it on the street? You might want to reconsider the Shockwaves. On most systems, the best you can get is 4 to 5" of lift "max". That's not much if you are starting off on the ground. Since you don't want to drive with them "maxed" out, you are talking about less than 4" of usable lift...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 01:22 PM   #6
Izzy
Trucker.

I would personally rather wait for ART to come out with their tubular UCA/LCA’s(bag ready) and notch the stock crossmember.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 01:36 PM   #7
grnddwn
belly dragger

Quote:
Originally posted by N2TRUX
Are you planning on driving it on the street? You might want to reconsider the Shockwaves. On most systems, the best you can get is 4 to 5" of lift "max". That's not much if you are starting off on the ground. Since you don't want to drive with them "maxed" out, you are talking about less than 4" of usable lift...

I only drive at about 3" off the ground so 4" of lift isn't that bad except it might ride a little stiff
grnddwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 05:04 PM   #8
bagged87chevy

how much of a crossmember drop is this kit? Will it set the frame on the ground? Any body reccomend this over turners kit?
Old 12-22-2003, 11:47 PM   #9
GMC JUNKIE TOO
THE QUICKER FIXERUPER

With this kit you dont use any of your original parts. It has a new crossmember, control arms, spindles rack and pinion steering parts to hook it up, rotors and calipers and built in motor mounts I would definatley go with this setup over turners. I am allso looking at a kit from scott's.
GMC JUNKIE TOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 10:36 AM   #10
SCOTI

The biggest question is how much difference in ground clearance does each set-up offer?

What would be good to compare is the distance between the lowest part of the crossmember to the bottom of the frame rail @ spindle C/L on a stock set-up vs. Turners, & J.Meyers.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 03:35 PM   #11
bagged87chevy

Quote:
Originally posted by SCOTI
The biggest question is how much difference in ground clearance does each set-up offer?

What would be good to compare is the distance between the lowest part of the crossmember to the bottom of the frame rail @ spindle C/L on a stock set-up vs. Turners, & J.Meyers.
Thats what I was talking about which one would give you more clearance Turners or jim meyers. If jims's kit offers the same amount of clearance it looks to me like it would make since to go with it because of how complete it is.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:51 PM   #12
GMCGRANDS

Jim Meyers is one of the nicest front ends ive seen. All bolt on, zero bump steer, Adjustable ride height,and GM based rather than Mustang II, other than the rack. It uses Impalla/ caprice rotors and spindles. The only drawback is the price $3200.00 with the coil overs, Shockwaves are even more! Even the stage one kit with no spindles, rotors, or rack is $2600.00

05' GMC Sierra Denali LQ9
GMCGRANDS is offline   Reply With Quote