The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2018, 06:09 PM   #1976
MiraclePieCo

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by idbeast View Post
I had some friends come over and help move the truck bed onto the bed dolly then the beer started and the work stopped!!!
Ha ha, I would have hung the box with straps under my cherry picker and maneuvered it alone. I've found that asking friends to help usually costs me more time than it saves!
Old 09-30-2018, 08:03 PM   #1977
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
I checked the fluids and tied up a few loose ends then took the '58 on it's maiden voyage...

https://www.facebook.com/mark.wells....6201136417359/
Oh Oh Oh damn!

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:59 PM   #1978
OrrieG

Painted the grille and bumpers Bombay Ivory.
Attached Images

Last edited by OrrieG; 09-30-2018 at 09:06 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:12 PM   #1979
evilokc

got the truck back on the road today. took it out for about 5 miles. brought it back and double checked all the connections and went back out. this is the first drive with the larger 18 inch cooling fan. you can really HEAR how much more air that fan moves. its crazy. truck is still driving great. felt amazing to be piloting the death rattle again.
evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:29 PM   #1980
dsraven

yeah, I dunno, maybe I should keep that truck for a bit and work the bugs out. say 5-10 years.....
it looks awesome. great color combo!
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:27 PM   #1981
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilokc
this is the first drive with the larger 18 inch cooling fan. you can really HEAR how much more air that fan moves. its crazy.
Heck, you could probably turn off the engine and let the fan pull you down the road like an airplane propeller, ha ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep
I checked the fluids and tied up a few loose ends then took the '58 on it's maiden voyage...

https://www.facebook.com/mark.wells....6201136417359/
What, no burnout on the maiden voyage like all those TV car shows, ha ha! Wow, I can't believe how quickly you got that together. Looks spectacular!
Old 09-30-2018, 10:33 PM   #1982
MiraclePieCo

Okay, back at the build thread for those of us too lazy to have an actual build thread ;-)

ONE STEP FORWARD: I installed my horn today. Cheapie unit and it sounds like it. Doesn't help that it's mounted on the inner fender that vibrates like a bell when I honk!

ONE STEP BACK: While doing that I kept smelling gas. Discovered my accelerator pump gasket is leaking. It's inaccessible without removing the carb and all devices attached to it. Makes me wonder: the carb is brand new; wth couldn't this leak have manifested itself BEFORE I did the entire upper engine disassembly and reassembly?
Attached Images

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 10-01-2018 at 01:01 AM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 11:35 PM   #1983
MARTINSR

Well, I ran off to go to a car show today, put my five minutes in thinking I would come home and get a bunch done, nope, didn't happen. So the stripping of these rear fender brackets was it today....at least I got the five minutes in.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2018, 08:31 AM   #1984
mikebte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
ONE STEP BACK: While doing that I kept smelling gas. Discovered my accelerator pump gasket is leaking. It's inaccessible without removing the carb and all devices attached to it. Makes me wonder: the carb is brand new; wth couldn't this leak have manifested itself BEFORE I did the entire upper engine disassembly and reassembly?
Got to love that gas smell, I went to fill mine and the fill hose was leaking. Caused my new carpet to get soaked in gas. One big step back for me.
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:28 PM   #1985
idbeast

Quote:
Ha ha, I would have hung the box with straps under my cherry picker and maneuvered it alone. I've found that asking friends to help usually costs me more time than it saves!
I put the bed in the back of my enclosed car trailer, and all the bed needs is scuffed up for final paint so I didn't want to bump anything and cause more work! But I usually use either my cherry picker or my electric hoist in the ceiling for everything mostly by myself or occasionally asking my wife for some help!
idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:09 PM   #1986
mikebte

Cleaned all the spilt fuel out of the truck, FUN! Also played around with programing my speedo. Going out to measure a mile now.

Also, I saw a TF on my way home today.
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2018, 08:25 PM   #1987
nvrdone

yesterday got the truck out of the garage to clean up some mess in the garage. decided since the truck was out, id take it for a spin. started it & let it run but after a moment, it stalled & wouldn't re start. removed the fuel line at the carb & turned on the pump. no fuel flow so I figured it must be a plugged fuel filter. replaced that. no luck. then happened to look at the gas gauge and it showed empty. dumped 5 gal in the tank, turned on the pump and she ran great. took the wife out for a ride and stopped for burgers. the garage still isn't cleaned. oh well, it was fun.
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:16 PM   #1988
idbeast

Picked up the Gaylords bed cover!!!
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2018, 11:19 PM   #1989
idbeast

Quote:
Clever box dolly. I also have 4 of those little dollies, but attaching them to the corners of a pallet was genius.
Thanks, sometimes the old man comes up with a good idea!!!
Jim
Old 10-01-2018, 11:39 PM   #1990
MARTINSR

Well guys I did next to nothing, but got my five minutes in, I have been beat lately. And today being I woke up two hours early and couldn't get back to sleep I can barely stand. Anyway, I got the brace cut out of the RR fender. I have to decide if I am going to cut the fuel door out of the fender and fill it, I did this thing 30 years ago, but have plans on using a 48 tank (I have an NOS one) under the front of the frame. So I think I will cut the thing out tomorrow.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2018, 11:37 PM   #1991
MARTINSR

I stripped some on that RR fender and made a weld needed, getting ready to cut that messed up area out and weld in a patch. Again, my head spinning as I am removing the bondo that I applied 39 years ago blocking it to perfection, I was so proud of it. The paint, I remember 5 coats, sanded smooth then 4 coats and cut and buffed it. This was lacquer paint remember. Damn it's so wild, how our lives change, that's all that is going through my head as I am stripping that stuff off, wow. All I know is, I like where my life is at!

Brian

Old 10-03-2018, 12:43 AM   #1992
MiraclePieCo

Couldn't find any outside mirrors that suited me, so decided to fab my own. Here's where I'm at so far: mounting foot and arm done, then will attached a couple of 5" round convex mirror heads on the end of the arm.
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2018, 01:23 AM   #1993
MARTINSR

Right on, there you go!

Brian

Old 10-03-2018, 10:31 AM   #1994
vintovka

Quote:
Couldn't find any outside mirrors that suited me, so decided to fab my own. Here's where I'm at so far: mounting foot and arm done, then will attached a couple of 5" round convex mirror heads on the end of the arm.
Nice. Probably the best of all alternatives and mounting. Vent windows seem to interfere badly with channel mount peeps. Maybe another reason why vents are "history" on vehicles. I considered some nice "swan necks" mounted in the beltline but install is now too much for me and i needed the biggest mirrors i could get with room for spot convexs. Sadly those beautiful swan necks are still sitting in the box on my bench. Please post them mounted when you are done.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:53 PM   #1995
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
Nice. Probably the best of all alternatives and mounting. Vent windows seem to interfere badly with channel mount peeps. Maybe another reason why vents are "history" on vehicles. I considered some nice "swan necks" mounted in the beltline but install is now too much for me and i needed the biggest mirrors i could get with room for spot convexs. Sadly those beautiful swan necks are still sitting in the box on my bench. Please post them mounted when you are done.
Yep, I noticed you change your mirrors. I like your new ones.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:30 PM   #1996
vintovka

Quote:
Yep, I noticed you change your mirrors. I like your new ones.
The rectangular mirrors are less than $10 at auto stores and about $5 online shipped. I like the way the 3 back screws can be loosened, the mirror adjusted and then tightened to lock in position. Having mirror stick out on both sides also helps avoid "run-ins" is tight garages.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:45 PM   #1997
evilokc

started it up and pulled it into the drive to let it run for a while. everyone who hears the death rattle comment how great it sounds. tonight it was a neighbor. it does sound good.
evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:25 PM   #1998
mikebte

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilokc View Post
started it up and pulled it into the drive to let it run for a while. everyone who hears the death rattle comment how great it sounds. tonight it was a neighbor. it does sound good.
Haha, ya. I understand that feeling. Nothing like pulling out the old truck and having people come out of nowhere.

I played with my speed buffer and wiring to get my speedo calibration correct. Check that off the list.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:26 PM   #1999
MARTINSR

After a day where I did nothing, drove an hour each way to a class, sat for 7 hours, that was it, parked 20 feet from the door, I did nothing, and I am beat for some reason. Anyway, got out there and made a new brace for the RR fender where the running board bolts in. That was it, but it was something!

Brian
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2018, 12:58 AM   #2000
MARTINSR

Again, not much, but something! Got the rusted area cut out of the R fender, got the template made, marked out on the metal, ready to cut out tomorrow.

Brian
Attached Images