The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-06-2016, 02:07 PM   #1326
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubie View Post
I'm going to be swapping out my dropped axle after this cruising season is over Dan. After running it without any issues for 3 years, I decided I want a bit more comfort for our rough northern roads. So I'll be swapping in a Camaro clip in the fall. It was the plan I had in my mind right from the start but I ended up listening to a couple outside sources instead of trusting my gut.
Originally I was going to do a Sid's 3" dropped axle, Posie's Superslide axles, power disc conversion and some kind of power steering setup. My thinking was that the early Ford guys all run their originally suspensions with dropped axles and even drum brakes albeit the large finned Mercury or Buick drums.

I even thought someday soon this setup will be the desired one since so many frames were chopped in half for Camaro clips. But I kept reading the cost will be the same or more than an IFS setup and I wouldn't need to cut my frame so my mind began to change. The last straw was a then-recent tax return check in hand that coincided with finding a new, never-installed Fatman kit for about $4-500 below retail on Craigslist and it was local to me. I've been sliding down the "slippery slope" ever since!!

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:17 PM   #1327
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by II_Slow View Post
I was tracking every dime I spent on mine for a couple of years but I got disgusted and stopped as well. I've been frugile anywhere I can, but you just can't compromise on some things. It would be worse to finish and not have what you wanted than to go over budget. It's only money, right?
I've kept all my receipts (I think) but yeah, at some point you're doing this for yourself unless you always intended to flip the truck. I have a friend that does that. While I respect it can be a profitable business it almost necessitates you compromise to maximize your profit. I don't want that.

A nicely done Task Force truck has been my goal for 25-30 years. I had an abortive start with a '57 small window years go before my divorce from my high school sweetheart after 20 years - I lost my shirt. I eventually started to recover financially and went to other projects - an early Porsche 911, a couple 944's and 951, then my '46 Chevy truck which I now wish I'd kept but my personal holy grail was always a '55 big window and I finally got one. I don't intend to ever sell it. It'll be my retirement daily driver I hope. That's mostly realistic in SoCal.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:25 PM   #1328
Dan in Pasadena

July 13, 2016

Stopped by the bodyshop today to drop off new polished stainless angle bed strips so the body man could trial fit them and drill for where they'll be mounted after paint.

This first bedside has had the spot weld locations repaired as well as the holes in the top rail. This bedside is done for the moment.

This side is in process and will be finished in the next 1-2 days. The body man says after its done he will primer and block sand them both until they're totally flat. To me? The one that's done is ALREADY super flat. TO think these are original 60 year old bedsides is amazing (a word I usually hate).

He's even nicely finishing the underside of holes that were in the top rail for some old camper shell (I assume):

This is an example of repairs to tears that resulted when the spot welds were drilled and he used a chisel to finish separating the parts:

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 07-13-2016 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:35 PM   #1329
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

It's looking good Dan!
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:41 PM   #1330
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks JJ!

It's getting closer and closer to color. He says he's going to finally prime and long board the whole thing a couple more times. This paint job may be too good for me! Ha ha. I may be afraid to actually drive it around like I want.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:30 PM   #1331
Red Foreman

Thumbs up Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Hey Dan, been away for a while had to brush up on your build thread, its all looking great!

My Build 56 GMC
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486721
Red Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:06 AM   #1332
Kim57

Coming along real nicely.
Kim
Old 07-14-2016, 11:23 AM   #1333
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks Red, thanks Kim!

It's coming along...kinda like Chinese water torture, lol.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:23 PM   #1334
Rods57

Looking good, nice detail work on the bed.
Rods57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:43 PM   #1335
Dan in Pasadena

His Rod, I agree. He seems to be doing nice work. I am very pleased so far.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:31 AM   #1336
Dan in Pasadena

July 28, 2016

Can anyone tell me which of these holes I need to keep for the stock tailgate and stock tail light mounting?

I want to fill all unused holes and I can't remember!

It SEEMS like the three holes above the two lowest ones in the first picture are factory, but if so what were they for? On the lower photo, it again seems like the three holes above the larger, main tailgate pivot are factory, but why do I need them?

Any/all help appreciated. Thanks, Dan

Status Update for the Record
The painter has completed all repair work on the bed sides and we met to finalize locations to be drilled to mount the angle strips on the bedside so that holes will be primed. We counted six locations for bolts into bedsides. One in each stake pocket and the other four will be hidden by the fender later.
This leaves one angle strip hole NOT having a corresponding bolt through the bedside - which is fine because I will never carry any significant weight in the bed and I don't want a visible bolt/nut through the beside exterior.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 07-28-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:48 PM   #1337
Rude Dude

Dan one the end of tailgate I only have one were the trunion bolts through you have 3 additional holes someone drilled.
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:52 PM   #1338
Rude Dude

Your top picture has additional holes also. the holes should line up with rear most cross sill and light bracket
Old 08-04-2016, 10:08 PM   #1339
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks Rudy! I'd given up hope anyone was going to answer my question. I figured the three holes were extra above the tri ion hole but they looked nicely done so o wondered if they could have possibly been factory?

Old 08-05-2016, 05:09 PM   #1340
Rude Dude

Dan
I keep a copy of Factory Assembly Manual 55-59 in garage. I bought it used on Ebay for ten bucks it really comes in handy when I get stuck on how things go back together. I think they have them at the all the parts suppliers and Amazon if you want new copy around 25-30 dollars. Very helpful for us old farts with short term memory!
Old 08-05-2016, 11:33 PM   #1341
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Yep I agree, don't think you need the ones above the tailgate mount!
Old 08-18-2016, 11:58 AM   #1342
Dan in Pasadena

August 17, 2016

Probably some of you will criticize this but here's the latest:

Painter advises my body work is complete*. We're 2-3 weeks away from shooting color but once I get it painted I don't have a completed chassis to sit it on!

I haven't exactly "procrastinated" as much as real life happened. Last weekend we held the memorial service for my mother; she passed at age 91-1/2 after being in hospice care since January and me driving from LA (I'm working on the Metro Crenshaw project, for you locals) to Orange County every other day to visit, bring her things, etc. The cost of her care has been split among three siblings but it was high and not knowing how things would shake out I was unsure of funds while also having no time.

All this leads up to yesterday. I have found a fabricator I intended to have install my IFS and flip my rearend (that DOES sound weird) Yada, yada, yada, he asks, "...what drive train are you putting in this beautifully painted truck? Not some smoking old 283, are you?" I actually laughed out loud telling him mine wasn't "smoking" but I do have a 283/350TH and I already know it has a weak cylinder. The conversation switched to power plants/transmissions and I am now considering an LS3/4l80e power train.

Yes, expensive. There, said it.

I turn 62 in December, I plan to retire when I turn 63. I've had an agency car for the last 10-12 years, completely paid. I'll need a daily after retirement and the rationalization I am drugging myself with is that the '55 will be it. Therefore, the cost is about equivalent to buying a nicely optioned new Silverado, or Hylander Hybrid(my agency car)....

So if I commit to this -and right now I am thinking I will - my new-in-box Fatman Fabrications IFS kit will be for sale as will some other stuff I have gathered for my build. I will go with C4 IFS using Flatout crossmember - something I kinda wanted anyway before finding the Fatman kit.

Feel free to comment, criticize, or...you can hand me some more crack for my pipe and tell me my rationalization is right on! Mom's passing made me face mortality a little more and if I can swing it, well WTF!

*= Adding driver side gas filler door to rear fender.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 08-18-2016 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:46 PM   #1343
Kim57

Sorry for your loss.
As far as the tuck goes it sounds like a great idea to me.
LS power and vette suspension is very cool.
I often think about what I would do if I could turn back the clock but I'm just too far into it at this point.
Kim
Old 08-18-2016, 12:48 PM   #1344
Valarius_Starchaser

Best update ever on the truck LS for the win!

As far as your mothers passing sorry she had to go deepest condolences to you in your families time of grieving
Old 08-18-2016, 12:51 PM   #1345
Advanced Design

So sorry to learn of your Mom's passing.

The rationalization would be what makes you happy and fits with your financial goals. The 55 will be really nice and if it works for a dd, that is icing on the cake. Maybe you could still build the 55 nice, then find a dd that fills the need and is in the budget. Might be better than stressing over the nice 55 getting door dinged in a parking lot.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:30 PM   #1346
Flysocal

Sounds great. ls3/4l80 is a huge step up. Get what you want but just a consideration: a 5.3/4l60 would make a really nice DD in a truck. You could still run the Fatman ifs I think. I decided to change direction slightly with mine. Switched from an ls1 to a 5.3 with LL comp cam. I have want to drive it daily and want it to drive and pull like a truck.
Flysocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:42 PM   #1347
ricott

I normally don't comment, but I would second the argument for finding a low mileage 5.3 motor/tranny pullout from a Chevy truck. These can be had a lot cheaper, and if you are getting a pullout with 75k or less, you should have100,000 worry free miles. Once the bugs are worked out, you will be so glad you went with the LS engine. My son and I built a LS powered 1966 GTO that for the last several years has been a daily driver. I have been from Memphis to Idaho/Montana and back - and the car drove like a dream. With the corvette suspension, you will never get out of the truck! Good luck with your project - it is looking great.

Ricky
ricott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:00 PM   #1348
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Sorry for your lose Dan.

Wow, a 180 reversal of plans, I like it!!
Old 08-18-2016, 05:06 PM   #1349
Dan in Pasadena

Hi everyone. Hi JJ,

First, thank so much for the kind words about my mom. She was a helluva lady. She's the reason my family moved out of East L.A. - a tough neighborhood even in the mid 50's. She thought there would be too many bad temptations for a boy - I was 18 months old. And that's the reason our family has prospered. All the kids/now adults are well educated, good careers. The next generation - my kids age - are full of college degrees, even an attorney (my daughter I'm proud to say). ALL because of the determination of one woman. Mom was a force, but a kindly, loving force.

The builder I'm using also said the 5.3 would do everything I want except provide "follow on power." I said, "What's follow on power?" His reply is that 9 of 10, 4.8 and 5.3 LS conversions he does, the owner comes back in a year or two saying they wish they had "just a bit more power." He said to give them what they want it's about $1000 from him. But the 6.0 is only $500 more in the first place from him. He replaces all rings, bearings and seals on all the LS swaps he does. He will do a Hime job if it needs it. He warranties them too unless they're a forced induction build; mine won't be.

PS: His claim on the 4l60 is they have some cast parts in them, even a couple(?) plastic parts in them. He prefers to use the 4l80's. Says there are numerous upgrades that can be made to the 60 for increased HP but only a few for the 80. Again, the price differential is minimal, the granny's are rebuilt and he warranties them. I feel pretty good about using the 6.0/4l80 combo.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 08-18-2016 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:51 PM   #1350
Russell Ashley

Dan, I'm sorry to hear about your Mom, but it seems that she lived long enough to see her children do well and make something of themselves. That had to be a blessing for her and the best thing that children can do to make parents happy.

I agree with Ricott, I think a 5.3 with a 4LXX would be my choice. More power than a stock 5.3 has would only make your rear tires wear out faster, LOL. They are surprisingly inexpensive around here and make good power in stock form. I have one in my 2002 Suburban and it moves the Suburban around surprisingly well. It has 185K miles and still runs and sounds like new.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote