The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
RRR18

"Service Airbag"

I got this on my message panel today. SERVICE AIRBAG
Then shortly after that the little man blowin bubble gum showed up in left corner.
Truck is '03 Silverado 1500 4x4 5.3 ext. cab with just over 100k on it.
Haven't checked online much figured I'd start here.
Anyone have suggestions feel free to pound em at me. Thanks.

Follow on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/rtimes3c10/

Ryan
RRR18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Re: "Service Airbag"

That's just a general light telling you the SRS system has an issue somewhere. Could be anything from a bad ground to a bad sensor to a bad seatbelt to a bad clockspring to a bad control module etc. I'm not even totally sure a normal scan tool will help pinpoint it much.

My .02 is to not take it lightly and upon myself to poke around with, I'd get it to a mechanic that can read the code(s) or to the dealer. Your SRS system will not work while that light is on, so drive careful.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
bighaas79

The most common problems, I've seen with these is the sensors up behind the bumper on the crossmember, and if you take the sill plate, and kick panel off the driver side, I've run into a bunch, that crud and moisture gets down under the sill plate and corrodes the wiring which runs from the sensors to the module under the drivers seat. MIght have to cut out the bad sections and splice in new wire. but make sure to solder and heat shrink to prevent the corrosion again, plain old butt connectors won't protect. But as was said before the best way to pinpoint is a scan tool reading to help youy find the area of the problem.
bighaas79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

You are not supposed to cut/splice any wires dealing with the airbag system. Seriously. That was one of the first things that was taught to us in the 90's when airbag stuff came out.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
bighaas79

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
You are not supposed to cut/splice any wires dealing with the airbag system. Seriously. That was one of the first things that was taught to us in the 90's when airbag stuff came out.
Gm service says you may repair the wire, by splicing in a new section of wire using the same gauge wire as the wire being repaired. they use sealed crimped connectors, but a soldered heat shrunk repair will work just as well. using the special sealed connectors is just a tad faster. Being that it is airbag related, it may be a good idea to have a qualified professional do the repair. I realize airbag system is very important, but as long as the splice is done properly, with no change in resistance to the circuit, the air bag module doesn't really care if the wires are spliced or not. Now if you are talkin CAN-BUS data circuits, thats a different story.

Last edited by bighaas79; 07-02-2012 at 06:48 PM.
bighaas79 is offline   Reply With Quote