The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2019, 11:27 PM   #1
1BAD65

Front Brake Lines Through The Frame Bulkheads Needed

Back to working on the 65 C10 and getting around to installing new brake lines.

My crossmember and the upper control arms do not have any tabs or clips for the front brake lines.

I would rather and want to just run steel braided hoses from the disc brake calipers to a bulkhead connector through the frame and then hard line to the prop valve.

Can anyone please post some links to threads covering this or part #'s for the bulkheads and braided lines.

I have a 73-87 front crossmember with disc brakes, unfortunately I do not know what year truck the 73-87 crossmember is from.

I have searched using various terms but I mostly get threads were the OP is requesting brake line routing diagrams or the thread has to do with bulkheads for air lines for bagged trucks.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

THANK YOU
1BAD65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:49 PM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: Front Brake Lines Through The Frame Bulkheads Needed

I've never seen an inverted flare bulkhead fitting myself. I have seen stainless inverted flare flex lines. Your probably thinking about AN brake line fittings.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:16 PM   #3
62chevy302
hillbilly

Just purchase a set of braided hoses for a 78 c10. The hoses have the through frame fittings built in.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:48 PM   #4
1BAD65

Thank you guys for taking the time to reply much appreciated!
Old 10-15-2019, 09:50 PM   #5
1BAD65

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62chevy302 View Post
Just purchase a set of braided hoses for a 78 c10. The hoses have the through frame fittings built in.
62Chevy,

Can you please share the part numbers for those lines and where you bought them?

I appreciate it,

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2019, 01:10 AM   #6
64shortbox

1BAD65,
Here's a link to VatoZone $20.00 each. They come with the clips that bolt to the upper A arms and the bulkhead end. They come with the stamped steel lock nut for the bulkhead end where it goes through the frame so I went to Lowe's and bought 5/8 - 18 jamb nuts - if I remember correctly it's been quite a few years since I did my Disc brake swap. The link is for a 1973 set up with the bigger rotors

https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-...se&model=front

The first pic - that factory oblong hole works perfect for the flex hose to pass through the frame.
The 2nd pic shows the C-clip for the flex hose I cut the old hose for the mock up.
The 3rd pic shows the other end of the bulk head fitting to the hard line and the 5/8-18 jamb nut I used (double check the jab nut specs - it's been a LONG time since I did my swap.
The 4th pic just the caliper mounted with the CCP 6 lug rotor - I wanted to keep the wheels & tires I had so I bought the 6 lug rotors.
The 6th pic just showing how the hose is mounted to the arm. The hose comes with the mounting clip.

Hope this helps
Attached Images

64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:31 AM   #7
64shortbox

1BAD65,
I'm sure you're way past the stage BUT I'm CHEAP & LAZY - I even used ALL the solid brake lines, proportioning valve, master cylinder & vacuum booster from the 73 donor C-10. It was a perfect fit but I did have to make a bracket to mount the proportioning valve - or combination valve as GM calls it. Of course I couldn't stop there I modified the 73 brake pedal to fit & added a 72 Nova throttle pedal - oh and the combination radiator overflow & windshield bottle came from a Ford truck but it's a perfect fit for our trucks and as hot as it gets here in the central valley the radiator over flow tank comes in handy. I purchased the vacuum booster mounting bracket from CaptianFab - an excellent piece by the way.
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2019, 09:47 AM   #8
1BAD65

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64shortbox View Post
1BAD65,
I'm sure you're way past the stage BUT I'm CHEAP & LAZY - I even used ALL the solid brake lines, proportioning valve, master cylinder & vacuum booster from the 73 donor C-10. It was a perfect fit but I did have to make a bracket to mount the proportioning valve - or combination valve as GM calls it. Of course I couldn't stop there I modified the 73 brake pedal to fit & added a 72 Nova throttle pedal - oh and the combination radiator overflow & windshield bottle came from a Ford truck but it's a perfect fit for our trucks and as hot as it gets here in the central valley the radiator over flow tank comes in handy. I purchased the vacuum booster mounting bracket from CaptianFab - an excellent piece by the way.
64shortbox,

Thank you for all the pics and detail !! This makes it allot easier on how things are supposed to go!
Thanks again!
Old 10-16-2019, 09:54 PM   #9
64shortbox

1BAD65,
Glad I was able to help. I know you were more interested in stainless hoses but like I said I'm cheap and went all factory. There is also a reasoning to my madness - if I have a breakdown at 6pm on a Sunday I can go to Napa, Auto Zone, O'Reillys etc. and get a part. It's no fun breaking down on the I 5 heading into Reno for Hot August Nights breaking down and not being able to get a part because it's a specialty part & it has to be ordered from Summit, Jegs, Speedway etc. - Been there - done that - never again for me.
Oh, if you need any better pictures or any questions please feel free to let me know. I've sure had a LOT of help from others on this site and like to return the info I've learned from others on here.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:11 AM   #10
1BAD65

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64shortbox View Post
1BAD65,
Glad I was able to help. I know you were more interested in stainless hoses but like I said I'm cheap and went all factory. There is also a reasoning to my madness - if I have a breakdown at 6pm on a Sunday I can go to Napa, Auto Zone, O'Reillys etc. and get a part. It's no fun breaking down on the I 5 heading into Reno for Hot August Nights breaking down and not being able to get a part because it's a specialty part & it has to be ordered from Summit, Jegs, Speedway etc. - Been there - done that - never again for me.
Oh, if you need any better pictures or any questions please feel free to let me know. I've sure had a LOT of help from others on this site and like to return the info I've learned from others on here.
Thank you again!
Old 10-17-2019, 06:31 AM   #11
PGSigns

Shortbox I like the tank you used. Do you remember the vintage of the donor you got it off of?
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:22 PM   #12
64shortbox

Yes, I do it came from an 89 F-150 BUT Ford used the exact same one in many of their vehicles. I'm pretty sure my wife's 96 Cougar had the exact same one. Also you can still get them new from Rock Auto for around $32.00 but you would also have to get the washer pump motor besides that.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ery+tank,10457

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...sher+pump,8840

I did have to flip the horn relay and the voltage regulator to the other side of the radiator support but I was able to use the original mounting holes and mounts.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by 64shortbox; 10-17-2019 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:55 PM   #13
64shortbox

PGSigns,
I found some more pictures if it helps any.
1st pic is the overflow/washer from junkyard after I cleaned it.

2nd is a pic of the overflow/washer sitting place as a mock up.

3rd pic is the voltage regulator and horn relay swapped to the front side of the radiator support.

4th pic is the sheet metal cover back in place

5th pic is how I ran the radiator overflow hose to the overflow tank. through the factory hole - I then ran a length of 5/16" copper tubing across the radiator support to the overflow tank.

All of this was done before I did the Disc brake swap so a lot has changed since those pictures were taken. I pulled the motor and gave it a Dupont overhaul, added a single wire 120A alternator, detailed the engine compartment, added an aluminum radiator and a Lincoln Mark VIII cooling fan. I swear these trucks are NEVER done.
Attached Images