The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-10-2019, 10:20 PM   #1
nxtruck

Thrift air switch/cable for ‘65 C10

Guys,

Who makes the best replacement thrift air switch/cable assy. for the ‘64-‘66 C10s? I needed a replacement for my original one and bought one from Classic Industries and the one I received came in an Old Air Products pkg. I noticed right away that the new one had 1 more electrical prong on the back and that the prong orientation didn’t match the factory plug. No big deal; I made a short jumper harness to connect the two together. Then I noticed that the threaded part on the front of the switch was slightly bigger than the hole in the dash plate. Again, no biggie. A little time with a rat-tail file and that problem was solved. Now, the next issue was a little more time-consuming. Once I had the switch mounted to the dash, I noticed that the push-pull action of the cable worked fine, but the knob rotation part not so much. It felt like there was some spring resistance working against the switch. When rotated to the high-speed position, it would snap back to the medium or low position. After doing some searching on this forum, I found where another member had the same trouble and ended up taking his switch apart, lubing the cable/shaft connection, and putting the switch back together. He reported back, saying that this had solved his problem. I went ahead and took mine apart, lubed that same connection, and after twisting back and forth on the shaft part of the cable, figured I had mine fixed. Well, apparently, I did not get mine reassembled correctly, as now the blower does work, but the low, medium, and high positions are not clocked correctly. Rather than trying to take this switch back apart ( and risk breaking more of the cable off at the eyelet end ), I’d like to buy a cable that hopefully doesn’t require complete re-engineering in order for it to work correctly.
Does anyone have any good experiences with these switch assys. from any particular vendors?
1965 Chevy C10 LWB, 355 sbc, TH350, daily driver
nxtruck is offline   Reply With Quote