The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2018, 12:12 PM   #1
67chevy40

Windshield washer motor wiring

I have a 1967 c10. I bought a new wiring harnesses with a 22 circuit system. I almost have it completely redone however I’m to the windshield wiper motor and pump and I can’t figure out how to wire it mine is a 2 speed with a washer. So I have two posts on one part and three post on another. Any suggestions? The book makes it look like the two are hot and the switch hooks to the other tree however this didn’t work.
Posted via Mobile Device
67chevy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:54 PM   #2
ray_mcavoy

Re: Windshield washer motor wiring

Welcome!

The 3 terminals that are grouped together are for the wiper motor. The other 2 terminals are for the washer pump solenoid.

On the group of 3 terminals for the motor, one of them should be spaced a bit farther away from the other 2. That one is the "low" speed terminal. The middle terminal is the "high" speed terminal. And the remaining terminal is the power terminal.

Your new harness should have a wiper power feed wire that will get connected directly to the motor's power feed terminal. Then there will be 2 wires that run directly from the motor's "low" and "high" terminals to the corresponding "low" and "high" terminals on the dash switch. The switch completes the circuit to ground to operate the motor so the body of the switch needs to be grounded by mounting it in the metal dash.

To hook up the washer pump, you'll need a short jumper wire running between the wiper motor's power feed terminal and one of the 2 pump solenoid terminals. Then the other pump solenoid terminal gets connected to the "wash" terminal on the dash switch. Note that the polarity of the 2 washer solenoid terminals doesn't matter (just supply power to one of them and ground the other). The pump is mechanically driven off the wiper motor and the solenoid simply engages the drive mechanism. So the motor also has to be running to make the pump function.

Finally, the wiper motor assembly should have a copper/brass ground strap that bridges across one of the rubber mounting grommets. That ground is used by the parking switch inside the motor gearbox assembly. It allows the motor to continue running until it reaches the parked position if the dash switch is turned off mid-wipe. The motor will still run if this ground is bad/missing but the parking feature won't be functional.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:44 AM   #3
67chevy40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy View Post
Welcome!

The 3 terminals that are grouped together are for the wiper motor. The other 2 terminals are for the washer pump solenoid.

On the group of 3 terminals for the motor, one of them should be spaced a bit farther away from the other 2. That one is the "low" speed terminal. The middle terminal is the "high" speed terminal. And the remaining terminal is the power terminal.

Your new harness should have a wiper power feed wire that will get connected directly to the motor's power feed terminal. Then there will be 2 wires that run directly from the motor's "low" and "high" terminals to the corresponding "low" and "high" terminals on the dash switch. The switch completes the circuit to ground to operate the motor so the body of the switch needs to be grounded by mounting it in the metal dash.

To hook up the washer pump, you'll need a short jumper wire running between the wiper motor's power feed terminal and one of the 2 pump solenoid terminals. Then the other pump solenoid terminal gets connected to the "wash" terminal on the dash switch. Note that the polarity of the 2 washer solenoid terminals doesn't matter (just supply power to one of them and ground the other). The pump is mechanically driven off the wiper motor and the solenoid simply engages the drive mechanism. So the motor also has to be running to make the pump function.

Finally, the wiper motor assembly should have a copper/brass ground strap that bridges across one of the rubber mounting grommets. That ground is used by the parking switch inside the motor gearbox assembly. It allows the motor to continue running until it reaches the parked position if the dash switch is turned off mid-wipe. The motor will still run if this ground is bad/missing but the parking feature won't be functional.
Thank you very much this is a huge help.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-11-2018, 12:12 PM   #4
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Here's a couple of pics npt that you need them with Rays description.

Name:  wipermotor.JPG
Views: 1803
Size:  93.2 KB

Name:  WiperMotor2.JPG
Views: 1502
Size:  56.5 KB

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:11 PM   #5
67chevy40

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
Here's a couple of pics npt that you need them with Rays description.

Attachment 1820013

Attachment 1820014
For some reason this is still blowing my 10 amp fuse I even replaced the wiper motor with a new motor. The new motor has 4 prongs though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-15-2018, 07:01 PM   #6
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevy40 View Post
For some reason this is still blowing my 10 amp fuse I even replaced the wiper motor with a new motor. The new motor has 4 prongs though.
Posted via Mobile Device
A 10 amp fuse sounds a bit small for the wiper motor circuit (the factory wiring used a 20 amp fuse). There is a good chance that the normal current drawn by the wiper motor (especially when starting from a stop) is simply too much for a 10 amp fuse. So if your new harness uses the same (or heavier) gauge wire for the wiper circuit, try swapping in a 20 amp fuse.

The 4th prong is simply an extra power terminal. It's connected directly to the one right beside it. If you look at the pics VetteVet posted, you'll notice how the 2 yellow power wires share a common terminal on the 3-terminal motor. The 4-terminal motor simply allows for the short yellow jumper wire going to the washer to have it's own terminal on the motor.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:25 PM   #7
67chevy40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy View Post
A 10 amp fuse sounds a bit small for the wiper motor circuit (the factory wiring used a 20 amp fuse). There is a good chance that the normal current drawn by the wiper motor (especially when starting from a stop) is simply too much for a 10 amp fuse. So if your new harness uses the same (or heavier) gauge wire for the wiper circuit, try swapping in a 20 amp fuse.

The 4th prong is simply an extra power terminal. It's connected directly to the one right beside it. If you look at the pics VetteVet posted, you'll notice how the 2 yellow power wires share a common terminal on the 3-terminal motor. The 4-terminal motor simply allows for the short yellow jumper wire going to the washer to have it's own terminal on the motor.
Thank you so much for your help. I was wondering the same thing if 10 amps was to low of a fuse. For some reason my wiring harness kit says it should be a 10 amp fuse however this isn’t the first thing they were wrong on.
Posted via Mobile Device