The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-18-2019, 12:49 AM   #1
hondo78

1989 crew with TBI/electrical/fuel delivery issue

I drove my new to me, 4 door '89 home a couple of weeks ago. On the way, the "Check engine light came on and then the power cut off"; Next CE light off and it roars to life; Again "Power off and light on" repeat, repeat, repeat. So I replaced, cap, rotor, wires and the ICM in the TBI distributor.

Next: I replaced the fuel filter as a test, and just received the new fuel pump this evening. (I am convinced this is electrical in nature)

Someone mentioned there is a relationship with the fuel pump power supply and oil pressure so tonight I did some online reading; ChevyTech had helped someone in 2006, with a very similar issue, that turned out to be the fuel pump relay, and possibly the ECM as the garage in the story replaced that too. "This was under 91 oil pressure switch bypass"

This is very close to my issues; however mine has not failed to start, 'matter of fact it idles well, but under acceleration it shuts off, possibly the oil pressure dropping turning off the fuel pump or the sending unit is failing?

Anyone have the same issue at some point?
hondo78 is offline   Reply With Quote